Author Topic: My old cz-52 may need some rehab  (Read 904 times)

Offline KneverKnew

My old cz-52 may need some rehab
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
I've owned my CZ-52 for about 20 years now. I've done EXTENSIVE reload testing with it, developing some very impressive, almost rifle velocity speeds with my custom loaded 7.62 x 25 loads. I didn't really like the grips that came with it and there really wasn't anything available back then aftermarket, so I made my own walnut grips. Wasn't very crazy about the grey parkerizing either, so I reblued the gun as well. I know this may go against purist collectors, but stuff 'em. I think it looks nice and the finish and grips have held up very well over 20 years of abuse.

My particular pistol has a TWO DOT slide, and has demonstrated adequate accuracy, some loads much better than others. Not long ago I replaced my firing pin with a new "hardened" type since mine had finally broken from dry firing. While I was at it I decided to go ahead and replace my locking rollers for a pair of new "hardened" ones of appropriate size. My old ones were still serviceable but showing definite signs of wear.  I haven't messed with my CZ-52 in some time now, due to life and other projects, but I have decided to pull her out of the safe and look into one issue that needs addressing.

Due to the extensive testing I did with this gun over the years, the roller locking lugs have worn rings into the lower frame.  This hasn't seemed to affect performance or function at all, but is definitely an area in the gun that needs attention. MY determination is that this was probably caused during some of the hotter load development tests several years back. this is a point of normal wear caused by the roller locking systems rollers. But the rollers in this case have caused some slight indentations and wearing into the metal of the lower frame.

My conclusion is that the only coarse of action is to gently stone down any raised metal bright spots and give the surface a good polish. I can then re-blue it, although it will quickly wear through with firing. I don't see that anything else can be done at this point, without the use of a TIG welder. That will be last line of defense.  I would like to know from those on this forum who have extensive knowledge of these fine firearms, if my assessment and suggested course of action are correct, and that the gun should be in sound serviceable condition afterwards. Thank you.

anything