Author Topic: CZ 38 Identification, Help with an odd duck!  (Read 2251 times)

Offline walkerny

CZ 38 Identification, Help with an odd duck!
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »
Hello

I am trying to ID a CZ VZ 38. (German Pistole 38(t)) No photograph needed, it is the same looks as any CZ38 in the known brief run. "CESKA.... PRAZE". Here is the mystery, it has no serial number. I can not find any reference to ANY of this model un-serialized. The 20 test pistols are serialized, as are the production lots for Luftwaffe, Bulgaria and Finland. It is not exceptionally well made or well finished, not a trophy one would make for a dignitary (or oneself). To be honest, a very homely design. Smooth hammer so it is not one of the rare double action models. Supposedly only around 41000 made, all in 1939, and all but the first 20 made under German occupation. This isn't a model you would take a pre or post war pistol and counterfeit. NO "t" stamp on barrel. Typical CZ symbol on grip. The ONLY stamped marking on the weapon's frame at all is a VERY faint Waffenamt "WaA16".  However here are further mystery(s). I am almost sure it says "WuA16".  WuA is not a typical marking, in fact I find no record of that in use at German controlled factories. A wild guess is it may stand for the Waffenprufungsmat (WaPruf). However if it IS the "WaA", there is NO record of a "WaA16". Know series skip from WaA14 to WaA18.  I doubt this is counterfeit mark as it is SUPER faint, and all production was basically under German occupation. Or at least all pistols delivered were under Occupation.  On the BARREL there is a better marking WaA76, which is the correct mark for the German Officer's tool assigned to this factory.

Any thoughts please reply direct    joe.walker@storkhe.com

Offline walkerny

Re: CZ 38 Identification, Help with an odd duck!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:52:36 PM »
slight correction  (German Pistole 39(t))

Offline skucera

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »
Has the pistol been refinished?  If so, a previous owner may have overdone the sanding and polishing and may have removed identifying stamps, and rendered others faint.

If the stamps have been ground off, your "WaA16" may have started out as "WaA18" with part of the upper loop ground away.  That's rank speculation on my part, of course, since I've never seen your gun.  I've never heard of "WuA..." as a Waffenampt stamp.  Perhaps the top of the little "a" was ground away?  The lack of a serial number is also really weird.  The Germans were fastidious record keepers, and everything was numbered and counted.

Good luck with that.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:36:27 AM by skucera »

Offline Stingray

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:05:09 AM »
I would be very nervous owning any gun that had no serial numbers.

-S

Offline shaneb1

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 12:22:35 AM »
you may have a very rare pistol. what the other member said is correct, the stamp could be light or sanded down. WaA76 is the only code a cz 38 should have. Your numbers are only off by 1 digit. your 1 could be a 7. To test the rarity, take the grips off and see if you find a letter B. If you do you have an end of production run. They are very rare and you have to careful of forgeries. Having no serial numbers makes yours more legit then if it had them. Very few were marked with nazi markings. The B prefix and B repair series are the only ones. I believe you may have one.