Author Topic: Pre-B magwell smithing info  (Read 75896 times)

Offline Blackwatch

Re: pre B magwell smithing info
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
Somewhere here on the forum, maybe in the home gunsmithing area, there is a pretty detailed explanation of what needs to be done, along with a graphic showing exactly where material needs to be removed from the grip frame.  I've found it before, and I think it's still out there.   

Anyone know WHERE that "how-to" guide is to be found?

(Search functions in all of these gun forums work in unexpected ways -- and they almost never work as I would expect them to work.  :) )

How-to is here https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=39056.0

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »
I saw that one, earlier in this message chain.  There's another one out there, somewhere, too...   I think it used drawings that made it a little easier to follow.  But the one cited above is good.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:50:53 AM by Walt Sherrill »

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2019, 12:43:10 PM »
I did not use dye marker.  I did read the available information and took care to see where it was rubbing - taking steel off of the FRONT does help with where it hits on the rear.  In the end, I would have had to take a crap ton of steel on the 88 preB to make a difference for the rear - and it was not worth it - did not want to end up with a toast frame.  I filed hard and plenty, and it helps make things better for some mags that already fit.  But making MecGars or 16 rounders fit is a fools errand in my 88 CZ.  This methodology does NOT work in all PreBs.  Its MUCH easier to BUY current PreB mags - spend $5-7 more than a regular mag or $10 more than a MeGar and you are GTG. 

I do not recommend this technique in general to get 16 and 17 rounders (MecGar profile) to fit.  If you want to clean things up and make things go smoother in a PreB you are ALREADY refinishing, you may want to try this. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:16:45 AM by briang2ad »

Offline rmcady14

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 03:00:21 AM »
I am new and thanks for letting me join.  This has been what I have been looking for< I have somehow lost the extra magazine, box, target and whatnot on mY 75 Pre B.  I have moved so much in the past 30 years that things just disappear.

I have a ProMag 75B magazine that doesn't come close to fitting. It was only $15, but I'm not going to file down my mag well. I am not worried about resale, but will try to find originals that fit.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2020, 09:49:50 AM »
Stay Patient and buy PreB ones from CZ USA - they will fit.  They have the rubber bottoms (not my favorite) but they work fine. Also, the SP01 mags (18 round - not 19 MecGar) fit.  Both are great mags.  Not cheap, but nothing crazy like what some people want for originals.  I THINK there are some available oversees now, but have no idea if they work. 

SOME older AT-84 or TZ mags work.  Normally you can tell old PreB type mags because they are a tad more rounded.  Gunshows may be a source also.

The mag well mod here works for SOME, but as I have stated, you may end up in a losing battle removing steel. 

Offline JCCZPA

Re: Pre-B magwell smithing info
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2024, 06:53:01 AM »
Sorry for posting in an old thread, but I guess this is why it's a sticky.

Pre B magazines are not available anywhere in Jan 2024, AFAIK. The last post says stay patient and buy from CZ-USA, but they do not list the Pre B magazine, which I believe was product number 11114. By stay patient, do you mean they stock them occasionally? I also messaged Mec-Gar to see if they make them from time to time, have not heard back yet. They do not list an 18-round SP01 magazine as mentioned above.

Smithing the frame is something I won't do, and I have one working mag for each of my Pre B pistols, so I'm not without. But I'd like to get more. My search skills may be weak, but I don't turn up any recent posts on this. Thank you very much.

John

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2024, 07:20:08 AM »
The place to buy mags. that work (mecgar mags) is Greg Cote, LLC.

Mecgar may no list what they call Pre B mags. but they make some that work fine.  Evidently not all the CZ75 mags. are the same - even though they're made by Mecgar.

10 round 9MM for the full sized CZ75 - https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-75b-cz-75bd-cz-85-cz-75-sp01-9mm-factory-10-rd-magazine-normally-also-fits-the-pre-b-cz-75-11102-p-1427.html

18 round 9MM for the full sized CZ75 - https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-75b-cz-75bd-cz-85-cz-75-sp01-9mm-18-rd-factory-magazine-normally-also-fits-the-pre-b-cz-75-11152-p-1404.html

The descriptions at Greg Cote, LLC are based on customer input.  That doesn't mean it will fit yours.  Means it fits enough other Pre B CZ75's that he has a basis for showing that on his website.

Buy one, try it.  If it works, buy more.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline JCCZPA

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2024, 12:35:03 PM »
Awesome info, thanks!

Offline JCCZPA

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2024, 03:03:51 PM »
Thank you to m1a4me! That SP01, 18-round magazine does, in fact fit! I'd like to have some flat bottomed mags, because I like the look of the original CZ 75, but these do fit just fine. Which makes me curious why they don't make a 15-round flat bottomed version, but it is what it is. Thanks for the info!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2024, 03:41:15 PM »
Glad they work for you.  We're here to help, or try to help.

Now, shoot it and come back with a range report.  We like to read range reports and see how the guns and ammo shoot.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?