Author Topic: Lessons worth listening to...  (Read 1863 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Lessons worth listening to...
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:26:53 PM »
This is a link to an e-book. It is science fiction, a carry on of the venerable Bolo series. Please read it. Disregard that it is sci fi, change the names and the places names, and you will see the faces of today, the faces of yesterday, and unless we change the tide, the faces of tomorrow. many things in here will ring completely true and solid with the type of people I know we have here, and hopefully, gift with a terrible resolve, such as the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor December 7th, 1941, did to the sleeping giant known as the American People. This book is well written, free to read, and something any defender of freedom and liberty should be aware of, second only to Unintended Consequences.
With no further fanfare, the Road to Damascus.

http://www.webscription.net/p-355-the-road-to-damascus.aspx

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: Lessons worth listening to...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »
That's one I'll have to read.

Another good one is the old, time honored 1984.  Everyone should read it before elections this year.

Big Brother is government surveillance

Newspeak is how we text message today

Thought crimes are "preemptive strikes" on people who haven't commited a crime yet.

Children are encouraged to turn their parents into the police if they hear them talking negatively about the government.

Our enemies and allies change throughout the book.  We are allies with side A and at war with side B, then are at war with side A and an ally with side B.  Just like we were an ally of Iraq and an enemy of the USSR, and now are at war with Iraq and an ally of Russian Federation.

The list of things goes on and on.

The interesting thing is that the original title of the book was 1948, as it was written in 1949.  Orwell was making the point that we were already in this state back then.  His publisher made him change the name because government censorship was aready going on and there was no way it would have been able to have been published.

This was a good book.  I need to reread it again.

Offline tekarra

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
George Orwell's 1984 is a classic and should be required reading.
Will have to check out The Road to Damascus.
One of the most fascinating books I have read is Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy Maclean.  It is an autobiography of a remarkable man in peace and war.

Offline Artist

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
I tell everyone to read (or re-read) Animal Farm.
 "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"
CZ 75 SP01 Shadow, strong enough for a man, but she likes it too!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »
Also good, Orwells work is really good. this book is more in tne with what is going on right now in the US of A, eeire parallels that run chills when you get past the "point" where we are today. I can't say much more without ruining it...

Offline Pynckone

• Who is in the White House?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
Here's my 2 cents..........

I believe its a BBC dramatic production from 2004 now available in many libraries called, "Hitler: The Rise of Evil".  It focuses on the rise of Hitler through his political career. 

Watching it will chill most patriots!
My blog: http://whoisinthewhitehouse.blogtownhall.com

Daisy lever BB gun.

Not listing my guns here anymore. 

Let the government figure it out! 

Lots of rocks and stones, and pretty good with a slingshot!

anything