Author Topic: Newbie looking to buy 97B..any advice?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline earl616

Newbie looking to buy 97B..any advice?
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
Hi folks, i'm in the market for a CZ-97 (what a great looking piece!)...i have a couple of questions i hope you could all help me with: (1) is it true that they have problems with JHP's; does this clear up after lots of fired rounds, and (2) i have a S&W 3904 which fits my hand just right..how do you think they would compare? ....thanks for any help.

Offline deeczman

• John 3:16
Re: Newbie looking to buy 97B..any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
Hi folks, i'm in the market for a CZ-97 (what a great looking piece!)...i have a couple of questions i hope you could all help me with: (1) is it true that they have problems with JHP's; does this clear up after lots of fired rounds, and (2) i have a S&W 3904 which fits my hand just right..how do you think they would compare? ....thanks for any help.

Sorry i cannot answer the Smith comparison. But the HP feeding problems i believe are gone. In the Chezk Republic CZ cannot tst for HP feeding problems since Hollow Points are illegal to have in their Country. I bought me the BD and my father the standard safety version B model. Mine was made in 08 that the year the BD came out, wonderful gun has Night Sites and nice Rubber Grips. His had HP feeding problems date made was 06. I called Mike at CZ he is the lead Gunsmith there. I sent the barrel to Mike and when we got it back i shot any ammo make, weight and every hollowpoint put to it so a simple fix. I assume CZ-USA had a jig are something to do the ramp. But have not any issues lately. The 97's are dead on accurate. The weight handles the .45+ with ease. Now i've bored you some i hope i gave you some insight. 
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »
The grip of the 97B or 97BD has a different geometry than the S&W. Imagine a really big S&W model 39.  The CZ97B is a big gun, extremely accurate.  The CZ97BD is by far the way to go.  The de-cocker is worth it alone, not to mention the Tritium sights, and the rubber grips.  IMO.  I had one that's now at a local GS. It was just too big for me.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »
earl616,

Find a Glock 21 locally and see how it feels (not the 21SF).  Grip circumference of the G21 is nearly the same as the 97; ergonomically they are different, but still a good guideline.

Offline mwcoleburn

• Coleburn Armory
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:53:06 AM »
The closest I have found is the smith and wesson 4506 but with a thicker circumference.
"In short: the movie looks stupid as hell and I will see it in the theater."

in relation to World War Z via Mike Kupari

Offline blh

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
I know my 97 will not feed Gold Dots with any reliability. 

Offline mwcoleburn

• Coleburn Armory
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »
after polishing the feedramp I have had zero problems with feeding
"In short: the movie looks stupid as hell and I will see it in the theater."

in relation to World War Z via Mike Kupari