Author Topic: vz. 58 Upgrades.  (Read 15057 times)

Offline NeitArms

• North Eastern Arms
vz. 58 Upgrades.
« on: November 05, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

I get a lot of e-mails about what upgrades we use here at the shop on our personal guns. Most of us shoot nearly the identical setup (aside from stock and grip preferences). Since I got 3 requests this week I thought I'd take a minute to give the rundown of what I run on my personal weapon and why.

WEAPON

- Czech SA vz.58 - The original, use the best when you have the best. Short, light and reliable.

ACCESSORIES (front to rear)

- Muzzle Brake - Crusader Brake; Not to tame the 'vicious' x39 recoil, but to stay on target for taps and hammer shots. Speeds follow-up.
- Sights - Tritium Sights; A loss of accuracy (larger post) for low light/no light aiming. I use irons for backup to 100m Max.
- Upper Handguard - NEA/Troy Cowitness upper; Return to zero solution with cowitness capability with my Aimpoint T1 (Comp used as backup after killing T1 on wknd)
- Lower Handguard - NEA/Troy Battle Rail; Light, excellent ventilation, multiple mounting solutions.
- Fore Grip - Magpul AFG; Drink the kool-aid. This grip really shines on the VZ, more so than the AR. Low profile does not interfere with mag changes.
- Left Side Charge Bolt Carrier - Speeds reloads & Stoppages. Allows non-shooting hand to operate bolt.
- Ambidextrous Magazine Release - Allows magazine removal with either hand. Specifically designed to release magazine with trigger finger.
- Tactical Bolt Release - Allows shooter to drop carrier onto reloaded magazine without recocking. Releases bolt with trigger finger.
- Grip - TAPCO AK SAW Grip; I have ape-hands and the stock grip gets lost on me. The SAW grip is big and meaty. Small hands beware.
- Single Point Sling Plate - I run a single point sling on my armor. Fast, comfortable and familiar.
- Stock - ACE Skeleton Stock, Super Short; Sacrificing any form of folding mech for strength and light weight. Super Short length for use with armor.
- Finish - Arma-Coat; Coyote Brown. Strong as hell. No worry about rust. And everyone knows that tan is the new black..

There is a pattern here -> Speed and heads up shooting. Reload speed and stoppage drills are practiced constantly. Having never been a fan of "workstation" drills, I prefer to run my rifle on the horizontal and heads up. My shooting hand operates the machine (shooting, mag removal and bolt release all done with the trigger finger) my shooting hand never leaves the grip. My non-shooting hand is only there for support and to "Feed the Pig". Ambidextrous controls are ideal when training transitions and CQB/FIBUA as well as "one arm operation", drills rarely performed, but often required if deployed & tagged (arms are bullet catchers).

I have run through half a dozen VZ's, have put over 85,000rnds through this platform and have had these rifles in every configuration possible. It is a very versatile system and there is now the means to set it up in many different ways with products from companies like ours, Czechpoint and others.
 Whether you shoot for fun, train to fight, or train to compete.. the key is to practice. Get familiar with your rig. It doesn't matter if you have every option available or a stock rifle, practice is key to getting the most out of your experience.

Most of all.. have fun!

Reload Drills (slo-mo)

Bolt Release Drills

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:30:20 PM by NeitArms »
Neit Arms Products are now produced and distributed under license by North Eastern Arms

Offline Nova-Wake

• "Come get some"
Re: vz. 58 Upgrades.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:10:42 PM »
Very nice, glad to see one without some sort of ar15 stock.Nice color combo and no skulls for a change.

Offline RedArmygunner

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »
I love this rifle, I was considering a VZ 58 this one honestly made me go order one the second I saw it lol. One question I have for ya the Stock Adapter that you used for the ace super short is that the same adapter on your site?. Again amazing rifle.

Edit- Just looked closer and I'm guessing you actually used a Receiver block or something along those lines., sorry I'm New to any type of evil black rifle lol , trying to learn still. :-\
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:46:20 PM by RedArmygunner »

Offline NeitArms

• North Eastern Arms
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:01:17 PM »
I love this rifle, I was considering a VZ 58 this one honestly made me go order one the second I saw it lol. One question I have for ya the Stock Adapter that you used for the ace super short is that the same adapter on your site?. Again amazing rifle.

Edit- Just looked closer and I'm guessing you actually used a Receiver block or something along those lines., sorry I'm New to any type of evil black rifle lol , trying to learn still. :-\

We don't sell that adapter.. It's a Stormwerkz 3 position Adapter. Nice simple piece of kit. Would have liked to see it follow the lines of the ACE receiver end a little better.. but function over form. I'm a huge fan of this stock.
Neit Arms Products are now produced and distributed under license by North Eastern Arms

Offline Ivan244

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »
Dave,

Quick question on the Magpul AFG. I started looking it up and one of the online retailers stated that you need five inches of rail to accommodate the AFG. Since the NEA lower only has about 4 inches avail do you rest the remaining part of the grip on the swell of the NEA lower as it starts to slope toward the magazine area?

Offline NeitArms

• North Eastern Arms
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:24:17 AM »
Dave,

Quick question on the Magpul AFG. I started looking it up and one of the online retailers stated that you need five inches of rail to accommodate the AFG. Since the NEA lower only has about 4 inches avail do you rest the remaining part of the grip on the swell of the NEA lower as it starts to slope toward the magazine area?

On my gun it's actually mounted on a piece of 2" rail, the rear of the AFG is just up against the handguard. Plenty strong enough.. I've had no issues.

Offline sdfmacross2

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
is that a crusader brake in the first video

Offline 55082

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »
Is the ACE super short stock with adapter shorter than the issue fixed stock?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:58:18 PM by 55082 »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 01:18:04 AM »
Very Nice!   ;D
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline sovietak474u

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 01:47:37 AM »
That baby is sweet! I like it.

Offline imarangemaster

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 06:27:04 AM »
Very sweet!  I do my weapons basically stock, but still can appreciate a good set-up!

Offline silverbakdevil

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:43:55 PM »
please come out with a ambi tactical bolt release

Offline sdfmacross2

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
I'm waiting for something for the trigger but at the same time just as reliable as the milspec one on it right now

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
Obiwanbonjovi, member here, makes a FINE steel trigger for the vz-58, even stamped "made in USA" for 922r compliance.

Offline Nova-Wake

• "Come get some"
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 06:52:14 AM »
i have one of his triggers and a piston, Great stuff.

Obiwanbonjovi, member here, makes a FINE steel trigger for the vz-58, even stamped "made in USA" for 922r compliance.

anything