Author Topic: PCR failure to chamber problem  (Read 3010 times)

Offline DustyBottoms

PCR failure to chamber problem
« on: November 26, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
Hello,

I've had my PCR for a few months now and run about 1000 rounds through her. I've only had one problem with it and that is what I saw mentioned by two people in a thread on 'The Firing Line'. The problem is basically a jam resulting from a failure to chamber either the first round, or a consecutive round as described by these guys:

One problem I did have with the P-01 was posted here a year or so ago. The chamber area was so tight when feeding ammo that it actually caused a few of the casings to shave/or crumple part of itself while attempting to feed. This caused the round to become wedged into the chamber and not fully seat. It prevented firing and completely disabled the handgun until I could figure out how to force the round out. I was using quality Federal ammo. This happened one time per 100 rounds for a total of 3 times. I sent the barrel back to CZ for work and they beveled the mouth of the chamber so that it wasn't a hard 90 degree angle like it had been. It turns out the edge of the casing was hitting that hard edge and causing this. Just something to be aware of. I've never had this or anything else happen to my Hk P2000 so I choose that as my compact carry gun.

I'm actually having a similar problem with my PCR, but only with some ammo brands. For some reason regular WWB range ammo will run flawless for hundreds of rounds, but Federal, Remington, and some others give me this occasional failure to chamber problem. I thought my magazine springs might need replacing but I might just send that barrel back to CZ.

So basically the rim of a unfired cartridge will thrust up and jam against the top of the barrel breech occasionaly, with the bullet actually in the breech, on the first round if chambered using the slide release. Or it will eject a spent casing fine and then do this on the next consecutive round. Has anyone had this problem too and have you sent your barrel to CZ?

I love my PCR, plan on getting a standard 75 compact as well, but it definately needs to not do this if I'm going to trust it for carry. Thaks for any light you can shine on this!

Offline burley

Re: PCR failure to chamber problem
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
I assume you've tried other mags and all kinds of ammo.

I'd look at the breech face and polish and smooth the part that pushes the shell out of the mag if it looks rough.  Some are so bad you can see brass imbeded in the cracks and crevaces.   I'd also Flitz, polish and wax the ramp, chamber, breech face, etc.   After all that, try a Wolf mag spring.   

Good luck, post pics and let us know what's what.   My PCR has been 100%
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Offline DustyBottoms

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
Yeah I've tried different ammo brands. Its sort of hit or miss. I was thinking it might be the mags, I had read on hear that they weren't a strongpoint. I was going to replace my springs with Wolf springs, and buy a few extra Mecgar mags to see how things pan out.

Offline burley

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:53:42 AM »
Yeah, any time there's a question, suspect the mags.  I think if you Google "Greg Cote magazines"  you can get ahold of a MecGar dealer with decent prices and 5 buck shipping. 
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Offline Stuart

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
so the round is feeding but not going all the way into the chamber??

Offline Ross7

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »
Mec-Gar mags can be found here, among other places... http://www.cdnninvestments.com/czco9mm14blm.html

Offline burley

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »
act now, cdnn has $5 to ship.
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Offline An Undocumented Worker

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:29:09 AM »
I had a similar problem on my PCR when using Remington UMC bulk ammo.  The edge of the case mouth would snag the edge of the breech face thus preventing the round from chambering.  This happened only on the first round and only snagged the left side of the breech.  So I took a conical diamond file used for sharpening serated knives and lightly radiused the offending edge of the breech.  No more problems since.

One other thing I noticed with the UMC ammo is that the bullets would also get setback while chambering a round, so it appears as though they did not properly crimp the cartridges either.

Offline DustyBottoms

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »
I had a similar problem on my PCR when using Remington UMC bulk ammo.  The edge of the case mouth would snag the edge of the breech face thus preventing the round from chambering.  This happened only on the first round and only snagged the left side of the breech.  So I took a conical diamond file used for sharpening serated knives and lightly radiused the offending edge of the breech.  No more problems since.

Exactly what I'm talkin about. Might try the file, and Remington UMC was among the culprits. For some reason cheap 'ol Winchester Whitebox is flawless after probably 600-700 rounds. Gold Dots and a buddy's reloads have functioned flawlessly as well..

I'm still going to switch out the mag springs first, but I'm probably picking up either a standard 75B, 75 Stainless, or 75 Compact in the next week or two so I'll probably wait until then and do an extended range session with both. I'll take notes and get picks of any problems. It will probably take 9 weeks to get my TN CP in the mail, so I have some time to work out the bugs of my otherwise outstanding PCR. :)

Offline burley

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
Hold the phone, there's been a lot of problems with UMC reported on the 'net, specifically varying lengths.   I can see why you'd have that problem with a UMC lot number that's overly long.  Check the OAL, over all length, on that bad UMC if you have another fail to chamber. 
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Offline gator-1

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 02:37:01 AM »
I haven't had any problems with my pcr but i have mostly shot wwb ammo.  I did find a web site to get MecGar mags for $16.78.  I got mine in under a week. The site is:http://www.trophyshuntinggear.com/ good luck

anything