Author Topic: CZ PCR vs. P-01  (Read 26783 times)

Offline sagi

CZ PCR vs. P-01
« on: December 19, 2010, 11:53:03 PM »
I have checked both forums for these guns, and every time a "is CZx better than CZy" thread shows up, it gets locked because it is cross forum posting.... so this seems like the place to ask.

So the question is, is there any difference between these two guns besides the front end design, the rear sight and a tiny bit of weight, such as any mechanical differences or different parts?  I know the P-01 seems "better" because it has the nato serial number, but I'm wondering if there really is a difference mechanically compared to the PCR?
The light/laser rail would be nice so it would double as a home gun, but not necessary because it would  mainly be my carry gun.  currently the online store I might get it from has both for the same price... tough decision.

Offline 1steelshooter

Re: CZ PCR vs. P-01
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »
I personally can't help you which one is better.  But here's a heads up on a really good price on the pcr. Cz custom just lowered their price to $462 shipped.  Mark

Offline sagi

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »
thats a pretty good deal. CZ custom's site has the p-01 for the same price as budsgunshop, and the PCR is the same price.... Is the light rail worth the $70 difference? If the guns internally are the same I might go with the cheaper...

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:18:28 AM »
These threads get locked because people get agitated over perceived miniscule and unimportant differences. Provided things remain civil there's no reason that should happen here.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline sagi

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 04:46:42 AM »
I see what you mean, I found an older thread (all of the compact ones vs each other) and the tone of the thread isn't very constructive.  in this thread all I want to know is any mechanical difference between the two besides aesthetics (speaking of which I wish the pcr looked like the plain compact)
in one post, someone mentioned the P-01 is forged aluminum while the PCR is cast aluminum, the cz websites say only the P-01 is forged, nothing about the PCR...  another post says he mailed CZ and got a reply saying the PCR was forged too. 
I still can't find any info on the P-01 being "better" besides mentions of the nato testing...

Offline Pynckone

• Who is in the White House?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:58:27 AM »
I have both a P-01 and a 75D. 

These platforms are virtually identical, with the exception of the rail. And one other feature, the loaded chamber indicator(LCI) on my PCR.  This is a factory optional installation, and while my 75D was 'used', it was virtually NIB (even had a blank warrantee card!).

The 75D is marginally lighter (amounts to perhaps the weight of a round or two).  I had thought I would use the P-01 as a carry weapon; however, in my hand, I like the 75D better.  The grips seem to fit my hand better, but if someone said they were the same, I wouldn't argue.  The 75D rear sight is supposedly 'snag free', but I think that may be a holster specific issue.

The LCI in my opinion makes the 75D preferable since it can be carried with a chambered round, and you can easily determine that condition.

I shoot both with the same accuracy, and both handle the Kadet kit flawlessly.  IMO, either gun will be fine for range, carry or home defense.

You won't make a bad choice!

My blog: http://whoisinthewhitehouse.blogtownhall.com

Daisy lever BB gun.

Not listing my guns here anymore. 

Let the government figure it out! 

Lots of rocks and stones, and pretty good with a slingshot!

Offline sagi

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:44:37 AM »
Pynckone, can you compare the frame rail thickness between the two guns? that seems to be the only possible difference between the two (besides the obvious rail) that is left. have you noticed any difference in the internals? I'm starting to think they are just the same.  The LCI would eliminate the need to do a chamber check, which could help.
so in the end, it is $70 more for a rail and a nato number to show off to friends... If the PCR is the same "nato approved" quality, I might just go with that for now, since I have a flashlight stuck to my 870 for a home gun.

*edit*
I checked again and apparently czcustom was sold out of the pcr... sad day. if I'm lucky they will get some in stock in a week... otherwise its time to look around town.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:15:42 AM by sagi »

Offline echohal

• vroom vroom
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »
I shoot both with the same accuracy, and both handle the Kadet kit flawlessly.  IMO, either gun will be fine for range, carry or home defense.

You won't make a bad choice!

I cannot agree more. personally, if i had to try my hand at prognostication, i think it will come down to availability and price for you. (as it did for me).
(I ended up with a P-01)
(I do plan on adding a PCR to the collection at some point and think a lot of the members feel this way which might add to the moot-ness they may express having felt.)
wait.... wut?
CZ75BD // CZ75 P-01 (ct grips, fiber optic front post) // Kadet Kit

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »
They are practically interchangeable, except for the light rail. The forgings we understand are all the compact frames, not just the P-01, but it started with the P-01. The PCR has the low mount Novak style rear sights, loaded chamber indicator and no rail. I think the PCR was the best CCW pistol CZ made. The P-01 is more set up as a do-all pistol including duty use with the light rail. I carry a P-01, but have carried the PCR as well, and feel just as comfortable with both, seriously. Why do I carry the P-01 more? Umm..'cause I got it first...

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
I still can't find any info on the P-01 being "better" besides mentions of the nato testing...

There never has been any "NATO" testing.  The NATO number on the PO-1 is an inventory number nothing more.  Shovels have them, hammers have them and back packs have them.  Why CZ USA applies it on the guns before shipping them out to dealers is beyond me other than for marketing purposes.  Like my gun has a NATO number so it must have been tested.  The Czech police ran tests on the gun which are quite impressive but NATO sure didn't.

Take Care

Bob
ps The old (built in 1944/45) Inglis pistols the Cdn Army still issues - we have a ton of them in stores left over from WW11 that are NIB still, have a NATO number as well.   Their manufacture pre-dates NATO ;D
Je Suis Charlie

Offline echohal

• vroom vroom
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »
so i guess inglis pistols are BHPs? when do those hit the surplus market? :p
wait.... wut?

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »
Knowing our Government likely never.  There are a number in the marketplace from a time when things weren't quite so anti-gun.  The Inglis is built using Imperial measurements as opposed to the metric FN versins of the HI-Power.

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline echohal

• vroom vroom
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 02:09:13 PM »
that's interesting,
does that result in any differences in actual spec?
wait.... wut?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 02:18:37 PM »
Folks, if you want to chat about Inglis HiPowers, please start a new thread in 'General Firearms Discussion'. Thanks
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline sagi

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
So the general consensus is the PCR could probably pass the "nato test" just like the P-01 because they are made the same?
now I just have to find the best deal on one... If my cheapest option is budsgunshop who has both for the same price, I might just go with the P-01 but I'll check around town first