Author Topic: CZ Duty vs. Glock 19  (Read 13775 times)

Offline foundato01

CZ Duty vs. Glock 19
« on: December 28, 2010, 01:16:15 AM »
Hi guys and gals.  I'm dropping in as a newbie to pose a question for you wiser ones.  I'm a Glock 19 devotee who is looking to buy his younger brother a mid-size defensive handgun--said brother is attracted to the CZ Duty, as am I.

My brother has owned one gun, a Bersa Thunder CC, and has had a lot of problems with it.  It's running fine now, but his whole experience with that gun was a bit tarnished by all the problems.  I'm going to pony up and help him out with something bigger, cooler, and more reliable.  However, I have some concerns about moving on the Duty.

I see the Glock 19 as the greatest defensive handgun currently available today for a variety of reasons which I don't want to get in to.  What I'm primarily concerned about here is reliability.  I recognize the Duty, at its price point, likely cannot compete with the Glock in areas like durability and corrosion resistance, but I want him to have a gun that provides a reliable, highly functional experience.

Question.  Assuming we find a new copy in which the mags drop free, the slide locks back on empty mags, etc., etc.--assuming everything looks good at the gun shop counter--can I expect this gun to fire every time and not be plagued with failures to feed, eject, etc.?

I have concerns about buying a gun made in the Czech Republic, but then again I had concerns about buying a Kel-Tec a long time ago and now the P3-AT is my daily companion.  I'm willing to try something new and give it a chance, but if this gun is pure trouble I'm going to pass it over.  In my book guns are serious business and they should be expected to be nearly 100% reliable under all reasonably anticipated conditions.  Can anyone help with testimonials about their experience with the reliability of this gun.  I want a gun that goes bang every single time.

Thanks in advance, guys.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:18:24 AM by foundato01 »

Offline adkjoe

Re: CZ Duty vs. Glock 19
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 06:59:48 AM »
I have a later model P-07 in .40 S&W and I have put 550 rnds through it so far with 2 FTF.  Most likely it was my fault from limp wristing and it was in the first 50 rounds.  Every gun needs a proper break in, I would say at least 250 rounds of various ammo.  In the last 500 rounds it has went bang every time with no trouble.

My glock 29 had 9 FTF and 1 FTE when I first got it and after I broke it in, not a single hiccup since.  I don't think you will be disappointed with the CZ.
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license of any kind

Offline Brian Ahearn

• Easton Firearms Refinishing
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »
I have the Po7 Duty and the spo1 phantom both excellent 9mm platforms neither require any modifactions out of the box both are very accurate.lite weight pistols. I prefer the duty over the phantom. I own glocks as well but I prefer the Cz platform for 2 main reasons they fit my hand better and I hate the glock trigger system, don't hate the pistol just the trigger system. I carry the CZs and trust my life to them.
Easton Firearms Refinishing Owner/Operator
NRA Pistol Instructor
CZ Collector

Offline weemsf

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 06:32:55 PM »
I happen to think that the G19 is an excellent 9MM, perhaps the best for combat/defense.  I am not a Glock fan, however.  The department I am Chaplain with issues 40 S&W Glocks, so I have a G23.  Ity is one of my least favorite pistols.  The P07 in 40 S&W is a sweet pistol.  Sized just right, DA/SA, and 12 round mags.  Sights may be a challenge if you want night sights, but that will soon be a non-issue.  I own a G19 and bought the P07 for 40 S&W work.  Accurate and sweet to shoot.  You will enjoy it and I think you will not be sorry.
Baptist Pastor, Lover of God and Country, Chaplain TCSO

Offline Lior

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
IMO CZ has had time to iron out the bugs in the P07 and the current specimens function perfectly out of the box. I transitioned to the P07 after carrying a G19 for seven years and have no regrets about the gun's reliability or carryability, plus the trigger is far better for accurate, fast shooting. The holster market is improving for the P07, so I think that it is a worthy adjunct or replacement to this excellent Glock.

Offline ranburr

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »
I have found that guns made in the Czech Republic are every bit as good as anything made in Austria.

Offline Dirk

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 01:13:37 AM »
I recently got a near new P07. I'd heard all the earlier reports about problems too.

This gun runs flawlessly. Mags drop free- no malfunctions whatsoever and it is very accurate.

The ONLY thing I don't like is the shape of the safety. I'd like it more like a 1911 in that it's comfortable to rest your thumb on while shooting. I have shorter fingers and clicking the safety off during the draw requires me to adjust my grip.

I'm looking at how to modify/reshape the safety so it will work better for me.

Offline Shooter9X19

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:03:39 AM »
greetings,

I have both models. G19 is my old work horse, P07 is brand new from Uhersky Brod. P07 fits my hands better, way better I must say but G19 profed itself and is satandard for reliability. So far P07 performes superbly but it has some disadvantages compared to Glock 19. 

Offline CX

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 02:04:51 AM »
I have both as well, the G23 and the P07 and in contrast I really am beginning to love my CZ rather than my G23 I got upset with it that even after years of practice with the G23 I am just an average shooter with it and with the P07 my accuracy fared a bit higher and seems I am learning it faster or naturally than my Glocks.......my CZ P07 now is a favorite same level as my HK P30 I fared this too to be the same criterion and Not Glocks.

Glock owner for the past 6+ years and when I got the P07 it changed my views a bit, but when I got the HK P30 and my transition from the P07 to P30 is almost a no-brainer my point of view drastically changed. MY CZ75b still sits comfortably in my bedside every night I don't know just a habit learned for the past 10 years I guess.

RIGHTWING CZ

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
While I'm sure it may be just an isolated defect a shooting buddy of mine has a G-19 which ran flawlessly through about 2500 rounds and one day at the range  halfway through a full mag the slide upon returning to battery continued on until it landed 15 feet out in the line of fire.Glock made good on the repair but it's just food for thought.I had issues with a low serial numbered PO-7 and CZ sent Me a new peice,no questions asked.It runs perfectly so far at over 1200 rounds now.I love all My Cz's but if you're really worried about 100% reliability get a .357 Mag and use only fresh new ammo.As for things made in the Czech Republic Tell Me what's so great about things made in Austria to open that debate.As far as that goes there have been issues with many USA built guns recently,Smith&Wesson M&p's had issues.Ruger had issues with their SR-9 and their compact .380 the list goes on.Give the PO-7 a fair shot.I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Offline Biggolden

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
I've recently owned both. The P-07 was 100% reliable from the get-go, as have been all my Glocks. The Glock 19 may be, statistically, the most reliable handgun on the planet; if I had limited funds and wanted to play the reliability odds, I'd get a G 19.

My four Glocks, and all the other Glocks I've shot, had somewhat better triggers than the P-07. The latter's DA pull was awful, so I kept it cocked and locked. However, even with the P-07 cocked and locked, the G 19's pull is shorter and lighter. That said, my CZ 75B SA triggers are superior to the standard Glock 19's. (The Glock 34 trigger, however, which can be installed in a 19, is one of the best I've ever pulled.)

By the way, if you install the cocked and locked option on the P-07, be careful not to dislodge the tiny metal piece behind the safety lever, because it controls the c&l mode. Mine slipped out and made the gun virtually inoperable until I managed to find the damned thing on the floor, where it hid nicely among the dust balls. That little tab is the cheapest piece of of junk I've ever seen on a quality gun. In any case, the safety lever is too damned thin for certain, quick deactivation under stress. I bought the P-07 because the Glock's lack of a thumb safety still gives me the creeps, but I wish the P-07's were wider and quicker.

The P-07 grip is much more hand-friendly than the Glock's.

For me, Glock sights are the clearest around, but the P-07 were superior to those on my other CZ's.

I shot the P-07 quite a bit more accurately than the G 19. The CZ had the makings of a really fine shooter.

Good holsters are much easier to find for the Glock.

I ultimately sold the P-07 and kept the Glock, primarily because the 19 is 4 or 5 ounces lighter, which is the best reason to have a polymer gun in the first place. CZ needs to get it down into the 22 ounce range.

But I usually carry a CZ Rami because it weighs the same as a 19 (though with 10 rounds to the Glock's 15) and has a safety (although a crappy flat one, like the P-07's). My Rami has been converted to SAO by CZ Custom, and the Glock trigger ain't in the same ballpark. (If you don't want a super light pull on a carry gun, stay away from that conversion). The 19's sights are way better than the Rami's, so I may someday swap those out a Big Dot of some sort. For me, the Rami is a carry gun ONLY with the addition of a pinky extension; with the standard ten-round mag, it's too short for me to grip quickly and well. (The sole extension I know of, without carrying the 14-round mag, is one from Pearce for a Springfield XD. It requires a little rubber removal from the the Pearce, which even a mechanical moron like me could do.)

All of that said, I may still wind up carrying the Glock 19 a lot if, with practice, I learn to shoot it as well as the CZs.

Offline Shooter9X19

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:44 AM »
I had issues with a low serial numbered PO-7 and CZ sent Me a new peice,no questions asked.

its a common problem for new designs. Just remember Steyr M series and Ruger SR pistols. Actual use will discover problms on early production pistols.

Offline Czech Pivo

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »
For what it's worth I purchased a P-07 about six months ago and have a couple thousand rounds through it with ZERO problems, not even a single ftf.  Not sure if it is that mine is a newer one or just luck of the draw, but that is my experience.

Concerns about being made in the Czech Republic are unfounded.  I spend a month there every year (my wife is a Czech immigrant) and have visited many factories and production facilities for various goods (including open pit mining equipment VERY COOL) and they have standards that are on par and in some cases better than what you will find in the states, Germany, etc...  Every manufacture will have a problem with something here or there, but nothing to be concerned about. The CZ 75 for example is one of the WORLD'S most reliable (and loved) guns, period.  In addition the vZ.58 (CZ manufactured version of the AK-47) is being used by Iraqi special forces and many other international support troops over there.  It is the best and most reliable version of that gun.  So as far as being concerned with the gun being made in Czech, you should rather be glad that it is made there and consider purchasing even more of their fine fire arms.
Oooh mají internet na počítačích!--Homer Simpson

czprime

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 03:40:44 AM »
Had both, now I only have the P07.  Much better gun IMO.  More accurate, faster back on target and better trigger once worn in.  Just my $0.02.

Offline turbodieseli4i6

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
I have a P07 and the reliability is no where near Glock in my opinion. In the near future I will be selling my P07.