Author Topic: Should be interesting. Sig 229 E2 vs CZ 75 Compact  (Read 18829 times)

Offline deprodigy

Should be interesting. Sig 229 E2 vs CZ 75 Compact
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
Well, my good buddy is taking delivery on his brand new Sig 229 E2 any day now (In transit).  I just took delivery on my new CZ75 compact in satin nickel about an hour ago.  Both going to the range together this weekend to break them in.  I have never shot a Sig before but people speak very highly of them.. I have always wondered if it was all hype or were they really that good.  He on the other hand has never shot a CZ.  I started my CZ bug about 2 years (P-01, CZ 75b Limited) ago and have been eyeing my new purchase for quite some time.  Can't wait to shoot it and shoot the Sig.  Maybe I will convert him or maybe he will convert me.  hehe..  Will give a feedback after the range with his thoughts and mine.  Not really a 'vs' kind of thread but more of a comparision.  :)

Offline TKH

• Native Vahjenyun
Re: Should be interesting. Sig 229 E2 vs CZ 75 Compact
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »
That will be an interesting report, look forward to it.  I too have never shot a Sig but converted to CZ from, dare I say, XDism and I couldn't be happier.
"I'm an old rock-n-roller but I'm too old to roll"

Offline deprodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:10:44 AM »
Well finally got to the range.  We both ran 300 through our own and 50 through each others' new pistols.  I have to admit, I'm fairly impressed by the Sig 229 E2.  Right off the bat, my CZ was rather big in the grip for my friend.  My CZ came with plastic grips but I immediately changed those out for some rubber grips I had laying around from my p-01 now wearing cocobolo grips.  Result is the same diameter of thickness in the CZ grip rubber vs plastic.  The E2 grip was rather small for my liking but I didn't mind.  Reminded me of using the smallest backstrap for my XDM when I owned it. 

The Sig's finish left me wanting something more.  Even my buddy admited that he is not very impressed with the Nitron finish.  It reminded me of a parkerized finsh but not as durable.  Trigger was very nice on the Sig and reset was very short also.  My friend commented on the alloy frame of the Sig felt like he was holding a tin can.  When he held mine, he knew he was hold a steel frame gun.  Both firearms weigh 2 pounds.

I would say that precision wise, it's a toss up.  I think the Sig is easier to shoot accurately though.  For example, a new shooter could pick it up and be able to hit their intended target easier than the CZ75 compact.  I shot both the same, grouping the same (which is the precision part)  It was shocking to me that I already shot the Sig as well as I did the CZ.  My buddy on the other hand shot better with his Sig when compared to him shooting my Cz.  He said grip was too big for his liking. 

As for the recoil,  both are the same in weight, and size.  Sig has a little higher bore axis and the front did flip up a little with each shot.  But....  That Sig was the softest shooting 9mm I have ever shot (I've shot many).  My CZ had noticeably more recoil.  I was quicker back on target with the Sig.  I think this is due to the sights..  He is running Trijicon night sights wich are bigger than the really tight sights that CZ's uses. (I prefer the CZ sights, aim small miss small)

Last thing I did was put the target at 25 yards to test for accuracy.  (Using the same ammo in all comparison testing) I shot a lot tighter and more accurate with the CZ.  The Sig was mostly low and scattered.  The CZ all grouped well in center target.  I think this has to do with the small sights on the CZ.  It just allowed for a more precise shot.  All shots before the 25 yard shots were at 15 yards.

The CZ ran Flawless, no FTE or FTF.  The Sig did experience 2 FTE during our shooting.  I blame it on break in of the pistol and underpowered Monarch ammo.

He admited that the finsh on my CZ was nicer and seamed more durable and wished that he would have got the stainless Sig.  The Black Polycoat that CZ uses also seams more durable and nicer than the Nitron finish on the Sig. 

At the end of the session though, my trigger finger was sore, and his was fine.  I remember when I first started shooting my p-01 when it was new.  I would experience a little trigger slap but with more rounds through it, it stopped.  It's smooth and very nice now.  I have no doubt this is the same with my new compact. 

We both left the range content with our new purchases.  I came to the conclusion that everything you hear about Sigs is not just hype.  They really are that good.  If both was the same price and we had the two to pick from, I think we both would have made the same decision.  Me picking the CZ75 compact and him picking the Sig 229 E2.

Offline TKH

• Native Vahjenyun
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:39:27 AM »
Hey d:  Are you and I the only ones on here?

Nice report.  Makes me all the happier I have a Compact (I also shoot a B, in .40). 
"I'm an old rock-n-roller but I'm too old to roll"

Offline czkali

• sdrawssakcab
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
Thanks for the report...interesting read. 

We both left the range content with our new purchases.  I came to the conclusion that everything you hear about Sigs is not just hype.  They really are that good.  If both was the same price and we had the two to pick from, I think we both would have made the same decision.  Me picking the CZ75 compact and him picking the Sig 229 E2.

Yeah but ... Sig's website has msrp of the 229 E2 at $1,149 compared to $514 list on CZ-usa for the Compact. Do you know what your buddy paid for his?  Are the retail prices that much less?
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Offline deprodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »
He paid out the door right at $840.00
Ordered Online from Top Guns supply.  List was $799.00
FFL was 30
Shipping was about 10 bucks.

I was very weary ordering from online vendors.  I have to say, my first and only  experience thus far was very pleasant.  Firearms can be had for less from online + ffl + shipping than stores around here.  I will be ordering more from online vendors. 

Of course Con is you do not get to inspect the gun before they ship to you.  If not satisfied, FFL will have to send back and it will take another week to get it in..  Plus restocking fee you will have to pay...  :(

Has any body had any bad experiences?  Actually, I'll start a new thread on this..  :)

Offline zdragon

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
bought a Sig P6/225 9mm(traditional Sig decocker DA/SA)last X'mas....very nice shooter and very reliable. The the only CON is the long trigger reset.
BTW my 75 compact is due for pick up this coming Friday...straight to the range i go. :D ;D

Offline mnyshrpknvs

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »

I've had a Sig P226 40/357sig for well over 10 years and love it. It is a German Made frame and from what I have been told is a much better build than the new ones. The newer ones they modified the grip and made a shorter reset in the trigger, but I shoot mine quite well. I will say the finish on my CZ97 is prettier than the Sig, but my 226 feels just as substantial. I paid around $500 for mine NIB with 2 mags. If I was going to buy a Sig P220, I would get the old German Made on the used market. However, my next purchase will be something to carry. Probably in 40 as I like the 75 Compact. As stated in another thread though, I would love a 75 Compact size frame in .45acp. And not an EAA.

Offline Bret

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
I like the feel of the Sig, but I don't like a double action first shot.  I much prefer the CZ's single action first shot.  If your Compact's recoil seems a bit sharp, you might try a stiffer Wolff recoil spring.  My Compact had brutal recoil when I first got it.  I put in a 22Lb recoil spring and it now feels lovely.  Based on your review, I'd say that for the money, the CZ won hands down.  Now where is a picture of your new toy?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:22:11 PM by Bret »

Offline e178058

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
I say CZ hands down. My shooting buddy is a SIG fanatic. He has 3 including an equinox. 2 in 40 S&W and 1 in 357 sig. My opinion, SIG's are good guns but I like the look of CZ better. The SIG looks very....swiss'ish. Like a Volvo! I had one at one time. It was a little more picky about the ammo and you had to clean it after every range session. I do that anyway but I like having the option of not!

So I have experience with 4 SIG's. P226, P229, Equinox, Mosquito. I prefer either my CZ75 BD or P01. They function more reliably. I have never had a FTF or FTE. My son got so frustrated on FTF's that he quit shooting the gun. I just think CZ makes a slightly better gun and the SIG is overpriced!

All guns are good, just some gooder! Long live CZ!

ps. SIG does have a pretty good trigger though.

Offline dondavis3

• YourCorvette.com
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »
I carry and shoot both of the guns you've given a excellent range report on.

My CZ 75 compact

My Sig P229

Both are stunning guns IMHO

To me the CZ feels a little bit smaller - I carry both, but carry the CZ most.

Both are deadly accurate for me.

But I had to learn to be accurate with the Sig - while the CZ was accurate straight from the box.

I wouldn't want to part with either of them

8)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:45:43 AM by dondavis3 »
CZ 75 Compact Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 2075 RAMI P  9mm
CZ 75 P-07 Duty
CZ 75 P-09 Duty
CZ P-10 C

Offline e178058

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »
Fine looking guns there dondavis3.

Offline dondavis3

• YourCorvette.com
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »
Fine looking guns there dondavis3.

Thank you sir.

They are fun to shoot.
CZ 75 Compact Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 2075 RAMI P  9mm
CZ 75 P-07 Duty
CZ 75 P-09 Duty
CZ P-10 C

Offline KME

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 10:32:12 PM »
To update the prices as of 7/28/2016;

Bud's has a "Sig Sauer 229R-9-BSS P229 10+1 9mm 3.9" (California legal) listed for $1,029. Last week I paid $599 for a CZ 75 D PCR (California Legal).  After having the CGW Pro Package and new sights installed, the CZ will end up costing me about $1,100 before tax.

I have shot the SS 229 and like it quite a bit. For about the same price, the Cajunized CZ 75 D PCR should be pretty tough to beat.

Offline Grandrover

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 04:08:26 PM »
Very good comparison range report.  I have several CZ's, full size and compact 75 series and P series. All have some customization by  CGW or CZC.  I recently purchased two Legion Sigs, 229 and 226 SAO.  I was attracted to the Legion series because it is supposed to have custom type trigger and a few other custom features out of the box.  I am very, very pleased with the Legion Sigs, particularly the 226 SAO.  It has a great trigger, very good ergonomics, great sights, shoots accurately and comfortably.  It compares very favorably with my CZ Accu Shadow.  The 229 has a slightly heavier trigger pull than the 226 SAO but compares favorably with my CZ P01 with CGW pro package.  If I had to sell all guns but one, it would be an agonizing decision as to what to cut.  I appreciate the heavier spring tip, because my only CZ compact complaint is the heavier felt recoil.  I'll try the spring change.