Author Topic: 500 Jeffery  (Read 8761 times)

Offline mauserand9mm

Re: 500 Jeffery
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 06:46:41 AM »
Well the Gibbs was brutal but managable and now I'm going to have to buy something like it. Either a 500 Jeffery bolt gun (CZ probably) or maybe even a 500NE in a double...

Offline mauserand9mm

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
Shame...Interesting all the same though.

I just found the following website:

http://www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com/

It is for double rifles but that includes big bore - may be other links from here?

Offline the tick

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »
AWESOME! Now I just gotta save up for a few years to buy a B. Searcy double. I think its achievable....as long as I keep it secret from any future wife. O0

Offline Big-Bore

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 01:03:09 AM »
I have just bought my 2nd CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, I also have the CZ 550 in 416 Rigby and 375H&H.  Just returned from Zimbabwe where I used the 500 Jeffery on 2 elephants with amazing results.  Both elephants were knocked off thier feet with the first shot.  My PH with 30 year experince never saw a 500 Jeffery used on elephants before and was so impressed in the power that he now owns my rifle, that's why I bought a replacement.  I also shoot a Weatherby 460 but the 500 Jeffery difinitly has more knock down power.  The first elephant I shot was at 15 yards in very heavy brush, frontal brain shot, I missed the brain becuase the bullet had to travel thru a lot of lims and branches but still knock the elephant off his feet and gave me enough time for follow up shots.  I would have never chanced a shot thru that heavy brush with any other caliber.  The second elephant was a heart shot at about 100 yards in a dry river bed, he was knocked off his feet and the 500 passed clear thru his chest, he ran aboy 50 yards and colapsed.  The 500 Jeff is brutal to shoot at the range and dangerus to use with a scope as the scope cut I have proves.  But when using the 500 Jeff on big game, you realy don't notice the recoil and I was very pleased.  I do not enjoy shooting it at the range though.  I'm good for about 7 rounds a day.  Accuracy is less then 1 MOA shooting from a lead slead.  If you use a scope, you need more then 4" of eye relieve to be safe.  If you shoot right every time 4" eye relieve is fine, but just hold on to lightly one time and you will get hurt.  It's too much gun for any thing but elephant and it is the only gun I'll use in the future for elephant.  I love my 416 Rigby CZ  too.  It worked perfect on a nice cape buffalow at 60 yards and a Giraffe at 200 yards.  If you want the maximum elephant stopper, you can't do better then the CZ in 500 Jeffery.  The barrel is 24", the gun is a bit heavy to carry but when you are getting close to your game you don't notice the weight.  I loaded 570gr Hornady DGS at 2350 FPS, not bullets were recovered.  You can push 600 gr bullets at 2400 fps second if you want but that was too much recoil for me and realy not needed.  Penatration was more then needed and energy tranfer was faster and more dramatic then a 460.  My first 500 Jeff had a littel rough action, but broke in quickly, my 2nd one was class smooth.  My other 2 CZ 550 are some where in between.  These CZ 550 are real clasic big game rifles and have a top reputation in Africa as dangerus game rifles.  One note on brass, I strongly recommend you only use Norma brass with this caliber.  It works perfect in both my guns and a freind of mine has a 500 Jeff in a Blaser rifle who was having extraction problems with other brass but not the Norma brass.  No need for expensive monlithick bullets either, the Hornady DGS are very tough thick steel copper clad jackets.  I tried to crush one in a vise and could not.  I have used a 300 win mag, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 460 Weatherby and 500 Jeff in 3 countries in Africa and they all have thier place.  For most game, I'll use my 375 H&H, for elephant I'll use my 500 Jeff for all other dangerus game it is my 416 rigby.

Offline chuckscap

Re: 500 Jeffery (long)
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
I have a beautiful CZ in 500 Jeffery that Harlan at Triple River Gunsmithing made for me.  It needed a few tweaks to get the feeding just right but now it's awesome.  You also need to learn to give your 500 a little respect (I call mine "Baby") or she'll hurt you.     I shoot 570g TSXs at 2300 fps, they group really well, sub MOA at 100 yards, and are absolutely destructive on cow elk and feral hogs (haven't made it to Africa yet).   So here's a few pics

My shoulder after my first day at the range shooting 18 full power loads in a T-Shirt  doing load development from the bench with no pad, no lead sled.

I learned better and now treat "Baby" with more respect, some 3 shot groups at 100 yards with three different  loadings of H4895

Finally a 450 lb dressed feral hog taken at 8 feet in a thicket ..  The hog came bursting out of the brush, I spun and fired one bullet between his eyes, it went through his brain, destroyed the neck verterbrae,  liquefied the internal organs and exited out of his left ham.   When the guide gutted him, his guts just shot out in a liquid stream.

I love this rifle.  Wayne at AHR did his CZ #1 upgrade (single stage match trigger, filled and starighted bolt handle, 3-pos M70 type safety).  The trigger breaks at a clean 2 3/4 lbs   It weighs 11.25 lbs without scope / unloaded but it swings like a fine shot gun.  It's my favorite rifle to shoot offhand.   The impact difference on game between the 500 Jeffery and a 416 Rem or 375 H&H has to be seen to be believed.   That being said, I don't shoot it from the bench anymore without a lead sled.  I've learned to give "Baby" my respect.

Best Regards,

Chuck

Offline Scrumbag

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 06:33:13 AM »
I think CZ are doing 450 Roberts now: .416Rigby case witht the 458 projectiles. Sounds like a fun combo to me...

Still, I have a soft spot for a .404 Jeffrey as well...
I was sure I had a point when I started this post...