Author Topic: Recoil Spring for CZ 82  (Read 2255 times)

Offline imarangemaster

Recoil Spring for CZ 82
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:32:34 AM »
Have been reading posts about replacing recoil springs on the surplus weapons.  I have not shot mu 82 yet, so I don't know if it has any issues.  I also believe if it isn't broke, don't fix it.  Where are people getting extra power recoil springs? The CZ USA site list the same spring for the 82 and 83, and it is only $5 (does an 82 have s stronger spring than a 83, or is the factory 82 spring the same as the 83?).  Wolff doesn't make a spring for it, and Brownell's and Midway USA don't list them.  Just curious.

Thanks in advance

Offline geen

Re: Recoil Spring for CZ 82
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:42:16 AM »
"Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War"

Offline Mastodon

• west of the Pecos
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »
My 82 shot just fine at the range the other day.  However, the empty casings must have been thrown 15-20 feet. :o
The perceived recoil, over the course of 150 round, had my hand feeling in a bit.

These main springs aren't broken.  The gun works.  However my gun is she86, and I have to believe my mainspring is atleast from 1986.  It's set for some time.

So I ordered a new mainspring and firing spring just to feel good about running this '86 model.  OEM mainspring is 14.5 lbs.  I bought CZ-82 mainspring from wolff with 16.5 pound.  That will help recoil, thus long session at the range, will hopefully keep the ejected casings in the same county, and maybe even help with wear and stresses on the gun.

It's such a cheap mod, and through wolff they include a firing pin spring too; I figured what the heck.  Brand new springs for a new life and at time hotter loads, why not.

As soon as they arrived yesterday, I put them on.  It already takes a bit more strength to rack the slide, which feels good to me.  Need to get her to the range and feel and see the difference.

My .02
Chartered in 1845 by The Republic of Texas

various boomsticks and lots of rocks

Offline SMSgt

• Make a decision; live with the consequences.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »
-82/-83 springs are the same. Wolff sells recoil springs as a calibration set or individually. I believe the weights are 14.5, 16.5 and 18.5 lbs. Each comes with a firing pin spring. The set is about $19 I think. The 18.5 lb may cause feeding issues with low power rounds. Heavier springs will tame the case flinging to some degree.

Cheap preventative maintenance for surplus springs with unknown wear and tear.
Life isn't fair, stop expecting it to be.

Offline imarangemaster

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »
Sounds like I need to order a 16.5 pound spring.  THANKS guys!

Offline imarangemaster

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »
Ordered a calibration set online....  Thanks again

Offline dwight

• dwightrahl.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
I went with a calibration set as well for my she87 CZ-82. The stock recoil spring was causing me too much felt recoil and was tossing brass into the next county!

I tried all 3 new springs and settled with the 18 (or 18.5?) pound spring. It tamed the felt recoil dramatically, keeps my brass in this county, and my pistol cycles correctly on both Brown Bear ammo and my own handloads.

I greatly prefer my own handloads for target practice over the Brown Bear. I don't know what is in the propellant in the Brown Bear ammo, but it is the stinkiest stuff I've had come out of any of my pistols. My handloads are made from trimmed 9mm Luger cases, Wolf standard small pistol primers, 93 gr lead round nose Missouri Bullet Company bullets, and Bullseye powder (from the Lee reloading guide, I use 3.3 gr of Bullseye).

Bullseye is pretty dirty, but at least it doesn't stink! And, it cleans up very easily.

Dwight
Raleigh, NC

anything