Author Topic: ? re replacing firing pin spring in CZ 82  (Read 1870 times)

Offline azleftie88

? re replacing firing pin spring in CZ 82
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
I decided to replace the recoil spring in my CZ 82 and ordered the Wolff calibration kit. Replacing the tired OEM recoil spring with the 18# Wolff spring was simple but I am not sure about
a.the necessity
and
b.the simplicity
of also putting in the stronger firing pin spring.
My local gunsmith said there was no need to replace the firing pin spring unless I was getting failure to fire malfunctions, so I am not sure I need to replace the firing pin spring ( I won't get a chance to test fire the gun with the stronger recoil spring until tomorrow evening)>
Looking at some online disassembly guides, looks like there are not too many pitfalls to replacing the firing pin spring--I have various punches although I do not have a vise.
So could anyone respond to my query
do I need to replace the firing pin spring and if so
do I need to worry about some calamity raining down on the process?
TIA to all you more experienced CZ 82 folks out there--I really appreciate this forum.
Caroline
Another armed progressive

Offline Tinner

Re: ? re replacing firing pin spring in CZ 82
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
Hello azleftie, It is my assumption (I know that's bad) the 82 could have been sitting around for a while before you or I recieved our jems if you will. When I tore into my 82 it had'nt appeared that much if any maintenance had been done. If you have the spring, use it their cheap. A vice should'nt be required, Just remove the slide from frame then you will find the firing pin stop # 10. You will have to push the firing in with a small punch so it just clears the stop. Now before you remove the fire pin stop make sure to keep a thumb over the hole or you might catch the fire pin in the chicklets, It's under spring pressure. Pull F pin out and you will see the spring in question.  P.S It will be super nasty-greasy in the F pin hole, After F pin and spring are out use a good spray cleaner ( I use brake clean, It's cheaper) And re-install.

Offline SMSgt

• Make a decision; live with the consequences.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:02:03 PM »
I don't think the FP springs are any different in strength. Replacing the firing pin spring is easy. Since theses 82s are surplus with no known record of use, I'd install the new F/P spring if you have it. It can't hurt. You'll probably notice that the original is shorter than the newer one. Normal set is all.

Press in on the firing pin (where the hammer strikes it) while applying downward pressure on the panel covering the pin. A punch or anything the size of the FP or smaller will do. Keep you thumb or finger over the end until the panel slides down on and releases the pin and spring. Slide the FP and spring out, clean the pin and pin chamber well (a Q-tip and solvent works well as does pipe cleaners), insert pin and new spring back into chamber. Push pin in, slide cover back into place. Done.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:04:05 PM by SMSgt »
Life isn't fair, stop expecting it to be.

Offline azleftie88

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »
thanks for detailed replies and reassurance--I will have a go at it!
Caroline
Another armed progressive

Offline Signalman97

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »
Yup, easily done and as long as you have a new one, put it in. Also, after you clean the pin and the hole it rides in I would apply a little lube to all that stuff. Just a little of your favorite oil will do fine. After that it doesn't hurt to remove, clean and oil the pin and spring once in a while (after 1000 rounds or so, or after it gets rained on, or dropped in sand or mud).
Support gun control, use both hands

Offline Mastodon

• west of the Pecos
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
thanks for detailed replies and reassurance--I will have a go at it!
Caroline

You can do it! ;)
I bought a new Wolff 16.5 spring.  And since it came with a new firing pin spring, I thought why not.

It was my first go at messing with a firing pin spring.  Takes just a moment of time, focus, and now a bit of new gunsmithing ability.  :)

Nice for Wolff to include those.  Nice to give new springs to the old pistol for its new life.

Clean out the firing pin chamber with a q-tip :o
Chartered in 1845 by The Republic of Texas

various boomsticks and lots of rocks