Author Topic: 2 JAMS  (Read 4442 times)

Offline BigK

• Silence is golden...duct tape is silver.
Re: 2 JAMS
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »
...BigK. Did you respring it yourself, and how hard was the Extractor spring? Or did you have a gun smith do it?...

All of the springs I mentioned are pretty easy to install. I've done all the upgrades, repairs, maintenance, and refinishing on every gun I own (11 pistols, 3 shotguns, and 2 rifles). I look up the parts diagrams (here's yours) and if I'm lucky I'll find a YouTube video or a good explanation online. With the CZ-82, you're in luck; there are some great resources online and the CZ-83, which is still in production, is a perfect source for parts. I used this guide when I tore mine down to refinish it.

There is a small pin in the slide between the ejection port and the rear sight that the extractor pivots on. Just wrap a rag around the slide to keep it from getting scarred up, put it in a vise, and gently drive that pin out with a brass punch and a light hammer. The new spring goes into a recessed spot under the extractor. Press the extractor into place over the compressed spring with one hand, get the pin started with the other until it gets far enough in to hold it a little, and gently drive the pin back into place. The firing pin spring is easy too.

This gun gets REAL complicated when you start taking apart the trigger assembly and the hammer/sear assembly. I've done it enough times now that I could probably put together a bag of parts, but it would be a chore.

If I could offer everyone with a CZ-82 a single piece of advice, it would be to send Norm Sutton $10 right off the bat for a couple of slide stop springs. The ones for the CZ-83 don't fit (you have to drill out the frame to use them). This part is easily broken when you pull down the trigger guard to remove the slide. When Mr. Sutton stops making them, I think we'll all be screwed.
The U.S. Constitution: frustrating liberals since 1789.

Offline Tinner

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 02:31:42 AM »
Thats good info about the spring, I was able to weasle through the brakedown of my 82 without breaking that little dood (I dont know how). I have another 82 that I purchaced being sent as we speek that has the broken spring, Nice to see it's been redesigned

Offline Hayfield123

• Yeah, go ahead. Break into my house!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 08:06:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing that info, BigK - I'll order a couple.
SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
Jan '67 - Aug '92
NRA Life Member
S&W No.1, 3rd; S&W .38 S/A 2nd; S&W D/A 4th; S&W HE of 1903; Nagant M1895; CZ 52; CZ 82; S&W Mod 15;  Kimber Tactical Ultra II; Taurus PT738; Walther P22; CZ P-06; S&W Mod 19;KAR.98A; Win M1894 38-55; Win M94; Sears Mod 34; H&R 16ga; Win Mod 24

Offline SMSgt

• Make a decision; live with the consequences.
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »
Please note that the extractor pin should be driven out from the underside of the slide.
Life isn't fair, stop expecting it to be.

Offline BigK

• Silence is golden...duct tape is silver.
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »
Please note that the extractor pin should be driven out from the underside of the slide.

edit: double-checked mine...pins can only be driven out from the top like 55082 says. Maybe there's a difference in yr of mfg. Mine is SHE86
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:36:25 PM by BigK »
The U.S. Constitution: frustrating liberals since 1789.

Offline Thorgrimr

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
I took my CZ 82 to the range today and got 3 Failure to Feeds and a Stovepipe today- with Wolf Military Classic (one box). The other stuff I had (green and brown box) worked fine. http://www.ammunitionstore.com/products/9x18-Makarov-Ammo-92gr-FMJ-Military-Grade-Russian-50-Round-Box.html

I think I'll try Silver Bear next...

Offline 55082

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »
For some reason with both of my 82s the extractors could only be removed driving the pin from the top of the slide. I tried from the bottom and made no progress, but they popped right out when driven from the top.

Offline Tinner

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 12:47:13 AM »
Mine as well (1988)

Offline ermac

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 12:17:34 AM »
I thought you couldn't really limp wrist a blowback pistol as they rely on gas pressure to extract the case rather then counting on recoil to operate.

Offline SMSgt

• Make a decision; live with the consequences.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »
If it's got a slide, it can be limp-wristed.
Life isn't fair, stop expecting it to be.