Author Topic: Basic VZ2008 upgrades  (Read 4195 times)

Offline bbrown

Basic VZ2008 upgrades
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »
When I first shot my Century VZ2008 a few weeks ago I had problems getting it on paper at 50 yards, with the Century-supplied slant muzzle brake attached.  I could only get it on paper by sighting below the lower left corner of the paper, and even then the shots impacted at the top of the paper.  Nearly ruined the top of my target frame, as well ;-)

When I got home I checked that the front and rear sights are aligned with the barrel using the string method, and yes they are aligned.  So far, so good.

I then used a laser bore sighter to check again for sight alignment, and found that the laser also pointed high and to the right.  Some of that misalignment is caused by the slant brake itself, of course.  When I removed the slant brake (and attached the Czech muzzle protector) the sights aligned perfectly with the laser.  Again, so far, so good.  I'm guessing that some of the off-axis gas from the slant brake was changing the POI.

So, I ordered one of Czechpoint's standard muzzle brakes, and also a rear peep sight to help my old, tired eyes at the range.  With the muzzle brake attached the sights are still aligned with the laser, so that's an "attaboy" for the standard muzzle brake.

Just like many other folk, however, I'm having trouble removing the rear sight so it can be replaced by the peep sight.  I've looked at the Youtube videos and read many articles about how to do it, but I guess I'll just have to try harder.

Anyway, those two upgrades are probably all I plan to use on this little beauty.  It certainly is a handy little thing.

Bryan

Offline parabellum

Re: Basic VZ2008 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
Why in the world Century chose to put a slant break on these rifles is beyond me. It has no business being on the vz58.

Offline Sean K.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »
Why in the world Century chose to put a slant break on these rifles is beyond me. It has no business being on the vz58.

I liked it....always liked them on AKs.  They aren't much of an actual brake....but they do give it a nice look.  The more important part though is the threaded bbl combined with the 16+" length gives you the ability to easily (and without NFA entanglements that the welded extension on the D-Technik causes) change out brakes on the VZ....and a brake is something this platform definitely needs.

JMO,

Sean
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:37:03 PM by Sean K. »

Offline kiev88cm

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:09:01 PM »
Slant muzzle break is cheap and protects barrel threds. Why any muzzle break on a semi-auto  7.62x39? Slap a flash hider on.

Offline rocinante

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
I got the peep sight. You must wrassle with it and PUSH HARD with a punch or screwdriver on the dimple on the far end of the spring while someone else tries to jimmy the sights in and out. Conceptually it is apple pie but it did take some blue words followed by an hallejuah or two when mission accomplished.

Offline Sean K.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
Slant muzzle break is cheap and protects barrel threds. Why any muzzle break on a semi-auto  7.62x39? Slap a flash hider on.

Let's see some videos of you double/triple tapping something  (as well as the hits) with your non-brake equipped X39.  

Offline pawn

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
I got the peep sight. You must wrassle with it and PUSH HARD with a punch or screwdriver on the dimple on the far end of the spring while someone else tries to jimmy the sights in and out. Conceptually it is apple pie but it did take some blue words followed by an hallejuah or two when mission accomplished.

+1

It takes a considerable amount of pressure on the dimple of the spring to release
Take care when you get information, the truth is generally seen, rarely heard.
-Balthzar Gracian

Offline parabellum

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
The reason I don't like the slant break on a vz58 is because it's anachronistic. The Czechs never put such a thing on the vz58. It just looks wrong, not to mention it snags on things easily.

Offline 1jzgte

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »
sharpen it a little and it becomes a pretty effective bayonet

Offline parabellum

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
Yeah, it's plenty sharp already.

Offline bbrown

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
And shouts of joy were heard throughout the land!!!

The old rear sight has been removed and the peep sight installed.  Boy, the sight picture certainly is dramatically improved.

It really helped to practice with the one on the demilled receiver in my parts kit.  Yes, considerable pressure on the leaf spring and wiggling of the original sight was necessary.

Many thanks for the encouragement.

Bryan

Offline rocinante

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »
stubbornness and grunt power are irresistible. Hope your next range trip is more satisfactory. 

Offline captainchemical

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
New guy here. I finally got the chance to take my VZ2008 to the range yesterday. I'm shooting 3"-4" low and to the right at about 50 yards. I'm trying to adjust the front sight, but not having much luck.  Any suggestions? I saw on the Czechpoint site that there is a side attachment that can be added similar to AKs and am looking into that.

Offline Stevo

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »
Buy a good sight adjustment tool like the Magna-Matic AK tool.

Or get a proper sized hammer and brass punch.

Offline captainchemical

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
Stevo thanks for the reply. Yeah I was using a too small punch. Will definately get the adjustment tool as it can do both the windage and elevation. I was even having no luck with trying to change the post elevation. I really enjoyed myself shooting the rifle.

anything