Author Topic: Springfield Armory P9 LSP  (Read 13630 times)

Offline icreek

Springfield Armory P9 LSP
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »
Picked this up the other day, a bi-tone Model P9 Ultra IPSC LSP in 9mm. Thinking about doing an upgrade to the sights, and getting a few magazines, if I can figure out that puzzle. Sure feels like a quality piece.

Offline Stuart

Re: Springfield Armory P9 LSP
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
great looking gun. The P9 LSP are excellent shooters.

Here was the one I used to own in better times.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:08:17 PM by Stuart »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:19:48 PM »
Congratulations on your SA P9 LSP and Welcome to the Forum.  ;D

Upper/Slide Assembly is Blued, Lower/Frame Assembly is flat Industrial Hard Chrome.  Series 88 Tanfoglio Variant which will use Small Frame EAA Witness 15/16 round Magazines or possibly CZ75B 15/16 round Magazines.

Let us know how it runs for you when you get it to a Range.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Stuart

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:54 PM »
I have a couple of 9mm P9 magazines if interested.

Offline icreek

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »
I have a couple of 9mm P9 magazines if interested.

PM Sent for some more info, I really like those sights on your P9.

Offline tekarra

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
icreek, nice looking P9.  Let us know how it runs.

Offline icreek

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 06:38:53 PM »
icreek, nice looking P9.  Let us know how it runs.

I shot it today, one magazine, little low and to the left. The rear sights are really adjusted to the left side, I think they got bumped in shipping. They are the factory adjustable, and I guess you slide them in the dovetail for windage, and the screw is for elevation? It was cold today and it was different that shooting my poly XD guns. The trigger might take some getting used to, but I really like the gun.

Thinking about sending it to the SA Custom Shop for a Bomar styled rear and fiber front, calling them next week to see if they will even work on it.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Thinking about sending it to the SA Custom Shop for a Bomar styled rear and fiber front, calling them next week to see if they will even work on it.

If they won't, get in touch with Evolution Gun Works or Canyon Creek.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Bret

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:57:39 PM »
Nice looking pistols!  So is the P9 LSP based on a CZ75 or a Tanfoglio?  The trigger and trigger guard definitely look like an early CZ75, but I'm thinking it's a Tanfoglio for some reason.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 01:28:43 AM »
 So is the P9 LSP based on a CZ75 or a Tanfoglio?  

Series 88 Tanfoglio design variant.  In this particular case, the trigger and the trigger guard are the varying features typically not seen on some of the other importers, except the early Swiss ITM/Sphinx. The grip, flat frame dustcover, frame beavertail, and Slide Configuration are all Series 88 Tanfoglio features.

Please note my first post in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:30:30 AM by jwc007 »

Offline Peter Eick

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »
Nice one.

I have a 40 IPSC ULTRA that is the Springfield LSP with Ports and an adjustable sight.  Very nice gun and it has an exceptional trigger.  I sold off all my other 40's because of it.  Why waste a round of 40 in anything else.

I have about 10,000 rnds down mine and I have noticed a quirk in it that you might want to be aware of.  When you are disassembling it for cleaning, it jams up when you try and slide the slide off the frame.  If you loop a finger over the hammer and pull the trigger back it will slide right off with no problems.

Briley and EGW still have parts for it if you need the basics.  I had briley put a new barrel in mine maybe 10 years ago and it worked great although I still like the ported better.  The ports work in 40.

I noted you guys had rounded trigger guards.  Mine is more squared off but my other p9 is rounded.  Anyone know when the change occurred or is that a unique feature of the IPSC Ultra model?

Offline Peter Eick

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »
I saw your serial number and decided to check it out.

Mine is roughly twice the serial number of yours and I bought it new in the box in 1995.  Mine came in a blue box with all of the standard paperwork.  The series 88 firing pin block was removed and a note stating that it was done for a better trigger was included as I remember it.

Offline Gary1911A1

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
Very nice. Wanted one, didn't get one and now I wish I had. Enjoy your new to you pistol.  8)