Author Topic: Difference between a Canadian CZ 858 and Checkpoint, or Century VZ, D-Technik?  (Read 6333 times)

Offline BIG45-70

I read a lot about the different manufacturers and quality differences.  Just wondering where the Canadian CZ 858 fits into this?  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:05:17 PM by BIG45-70 »

Offline Stevo

Can you be more specific in your question?

They're built by CZ and come in two versions. One with original military chrome-lined barrel and one with an 18.5" non-chrome-lined barrel. Either version available with fixed or folding stock. All come with the original Czech grey-blue paint. They're top quality, but may suffer from the trigger reset gremlin as they don't come with tabbed bolt carriers.

The top two in the pic below are 18.5" CZ 858s.

Offline BIG45-70

I have the cz 858-2 with a 18.5 inch barrel non chrome.

Offline Stevo

I have the cz 858-2 with a 18.5 inch barrel non chrome.

Now I'm even more confused. Just what do you mean by "Just wondering where the Canadian CZ 858 fits into this?"

It's a Czech made, semi-auto Sa. Vz. 58 variant. What else did you need to know? 

Offline BIG45-70

I wanted to know where quality wise it fits in with these US manufacturers.  I'm aware there is a large difference between the USA versions  (checkpoint vs century) and was wondering how the Canadian version compares.

Offline Stevo

It's pretty hard to compare them all. There aren't any CZ 858s, CZHs, or FSNs in the US or any ORFs, OOWs, or Centurys in Canada. Many have different finishes like different colour paint, parkerizing or even blued like the FSNs available in Canada.

I have CZs and a Czech Small Arms (what Czechpoint sells, formerly D-Technik). I've shot CZHs and handled Century and ORF guns.

Out of all the guns I've handled I'd rate my CSA the best looking, though my CZs, while rougher finished, have never had any obvious QC issues like the canted front sight on my CSA.

Out of all of them, I'd rate the CZs as the best compromise of quality and price.

anything