Author Topic: Request: Load Data for Berry's 9MM 124gr RN with Titegroup  (Read 11212 times)

Offline ewynn

Request: Load Data for Berry's 9MM 124gr RN with Titegroup
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:43:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'll be loading for the first time with my new Hornady Lock n Load press. I currently have Titegroup as my powder and Berry's 9mm 124gr RN as my bullets. I just found out that the same bullet will not work the same for each type of gun model, which is why I'm asking for load data (powder gr and length) with those components in mind.

I'm currently shooting a 75B and will be a lucky SP-01 owner in a week.

Thanks!

Offline Cesar

Re: Request: Load Data for Berry's 9MM 124gr RN with Titegroup
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:25:51 AM »
The guns you mention will spell OAL 1.11-1.12", you need to test both barrels.
You will most likely end up with 3.7-3.8gr charge to make Minor PF; test ammo in both guns, they may give you velocity different enough to bump you out.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of Vit in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
Mr Wynn -
Welcome !

• In the CZ's I've tested (P-01 & SP-01), the Berry RN (115, 124, 130, 135 and 147gr) will allow the OAL to be anything you want. True, other bullets are not that forgiving, but the Berry series of RN is. So as a beginning reloader, you are either paying attention to this forum or you lucked out! Congrats either way!  ;)

• As to loads, you should train yourself to rely on published data from the powder maker's web site. In this case for Tite Group it would be on the Hodgdon web site. RIGHT HERE. Seeking help is fine. Seeking second opinions is fine. Asking questions about the data is great. But for your load info, please learn to go directly to the source.

125 GR. SIE FMJ     Hodgdon     Titegroup     .355"     1.090"     4.1     1069     27,300 CUP     4.4     1136     30,600 CUP

a) We use the FMJ data because the Berry web site tells us to in their FAQ section.

b) The OAL Hodgdon lists (1.090") is the minimum safe OAL with the load shown. Therefore, you can always go longer, because this will reduce chamber pressure and be safer. So in this case, you can use anything between 1.090" and 1.169" (the SAAMI max length for 9x19). Personally, I'd guide you toward an OAL of something like 1.130" to improve feeding.

• Finally, you always begin with the "starting load" and work up slowly in small increments. (In this case, increments of 0.1gr.) Just because 4.2gr works great in my CZ doesn't amount to a hill of beans for you. Each gun is different. Each scale is different. My "4.3gr load" might be equaled by 4.1gr as measured on your scale and used in your gun. Follow? So everyone starts at the beginning.

With a powder that only has a load window of 0.4gr there is NOT much room for error. Each and every load must be precisely made. On a new reloading setup, this is going to be a skill you have not yet mastered. Time will certainly cure this, if you don't blow yourself up in the interim.  :D I hate to sound so pessimistic, but Tite Group is a quirky powder. IMHO whoever recommended Tite Group to a beginning reloader is no friend. Luckily you've got some GREAT equipment there to help you.

• Read a lot. Ask lots of questions. Go slow. Double check all your loads before seating the bullet. Use markers, tape and sandwich bags to segregate and clearly identify all your loads. You can do this.

All the best.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:31:11 AM by rfwobbly1 »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Offline himurax13

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
Everything that rfwobbly1 said plus a few things of my own. For starting out, I would suggest powders that really fill up the case so that if you somehow double charge it, the powder will overflow. A few suggestions are SR 4756, Win 231, Unique, Solo 1000. Always buy in one pound jugs until you discover a combination that you like, then you can buy in bulk and save.

Make sure that you inspect every case for powder before you seat the bullet, I can't stress this enough. I had a squib when I first started reloading and if I hadn't stopped shooting, things would have gone bad real fast. Test one load at a time at the range. The spent primers can tell you a lot about your load.

I would also invest in a chamber checker to prevent jams and to cull out any bulged brass. The 7 chamber style from EGW is a good value and helps speed the process along.

I generally use MTM ammo boxes because I can write a lot of information on the label. Once I get an established load going, I love to use the plastic peanut jars from Castco because they are sturdy and can hold at least 500 loaded rounds :).

Offline ewynn

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
AWESOME! Thanks guys for the input! More advice is always welcomed.

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »
AWESOME! Thanks guys for the input! More advice is always welcomed.

Mr Wynn -

• If you'd start with telling us which LNL press you have we could be more specific. That way when you come to us with a question, we can be sure and start off every reply with "You bought the wrong reloading press.."  ;D  Just kidding; you got a great one!

• Personally, I tell everyone to start loading with Winchester 231 (which is also sold as Hodgdon HP-38). This is a great little powder with a load window of 3.9 to 5.1gr, so if you happen to be 0.1gr or 0.2gr off, you'll still be allowed to keep all your fingers. It also is fluffy enough where it will over-fill a 9mm case should you double-shot your powder. You might ask for it this weekend if you're out shopping. You can use the Tight Group later in July.

• You're going to like the Berry bullets. They load very easily without special contortions or standing on your head. They shoot accurately, and they don't lead your barrel. So you can shoot a 200 round pistol match and your barrel will still hold great accuracy. I can personally recommend a new bullet they came out with (not listed yet on their web page) the 124gr Hollow Base RN. The void makes them a little longer, so they have more bearing area on the rifling. A tiny bit better for target shooting.

• Read around here, especially the fixed threads at the top of this forum. They are very well edited.

• Then ask away.  :)

All the best.

Offline ewynn

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:54:21 PM »
Sorry for not being clearer on my equipment. Here's what I'm using:

Locknload AP
Deprimer/expander die
Locknload powder charger with a case beller (however you call it)
Powder checker die
Bullet seating die
Bullet crimper die

Bullet components:
Once fired 9mm brass
Berry's 9mm 124gr RN
Titegroup
Winchester small pistol primer

While I was testing the powder charger, I noticed that it was sometimes +-.1 grain from my Target measurement.

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 12:30:37 AM »
Ah, the Lock N Load AP. I knew it. You bought the wrong press!  ;D

Actually that's s a great setup and highly flexible. Very easy to add the case feeder to, if you feel so moved later on.

• As to the powder fluctuations.... that's another issue with Tite Group... there's hardly any volume to it. You might as well be trying to dispense pixie dust. First thing is to make sure you have the small diameter piston installed in the powder measure. I'm sure you do, but check. Small diameter for pistol; large diameter for rifle. Hornady may even offer a "tiny" diameter by now. If they do, you'll need to buy one.

• Next thing is to never read the first 10 drops of powder from ANY powder measure. The powder has to shake down to a consistent density. This because you are dispensing volume. You can't get consistent volumes without consistent density.

• Always have your hopper at least 1/3 full of powder while dispensing. (Always empty your hopper back into the powder can when you finish reloading.)

• If the hopper doesn't have one, then fit a baffle. You can make your own baffle with these plans Right Here

• Finally, you can drop 10 loads and average them for more accurate settings. For instance, if you are looking for 4.1gr, then drop ten and set your scale to look for 41.0gr. Follow? If your PM can't drop exactly 4.1gr every time, then at least the average will be there.

• That reminds me... this whole setup is predicated on your scale, but lower priced digital scales soften lie. You'll need to buy a set of check weights in your load range. So if you are loading 4.1gr, then you need to check your scale with a 5.0gr check weight, not a 250gr. Follow?

Hope this helps!  ;)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:33:50 AM by rfwobbly1 »

anything