Author Topic: 97b grip size  (Read 3197 times)

Offline AFtsanflpp

97b grip size
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »
All right, so I've read the posts about how big the grip of the 97b is.  I don't think my hands are all that huge.  I can reach a couple keys over a full octave(8 keys) on a piano.  Anyway, how would those who have, or have used both compare the grip of the 97b to the 92fs/M9?  That's the biggest gun I have handled to compare it too.
‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Offline cawakening

Re: 97b grip size
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:13:02 AM »
No exp w/ the 92, but I don't feel the 97 is unordinary large.  It's easy to find the posts of people who thinks so though.  I have a CZ 82, 85b, and 97b.  In that order the grip size seems to increase ever so slightly.  I'm 5ft 7in and med/small hands and will say that it took 1 mag to adjust from 85b to 97b.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »
AFtsanflpp,

Here's your answer:  Stretch your shooting hand fingers as far apart as possible.  Using a ruler/tape/etc., measure the extreme distance from the tip of your thumb, to the tip of your little finger.  For instance mine measures 9.25 inches. 

The minimum "comfortable" distance in gripping the 97 seems to be around 8.75".  If you measure under 8.75", look at a Witness 45. 

Offline AFtsanflpp

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Ah, my hands just shy at about 8.5"
‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »
Schemky is right on my hands go 7 7/8" and my 97B was just a tad to big to provide a perfect meld when unholstering.  As to circumference the tale of the tape isn't quite as simple as that.  It's a matter of proportions of width and depth.  The 97B is a wonderful weapon.

Offline AFtsanflpp

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »
Fair enough.  I'm definately going to try and get my hands on one to make sure. (I've heard such a huge amount if praise for it). One of the only times being a southpaw might come in handy since I won't be trying to hit any of the controls with my thumb, the distance may not be a killer.  I love the cz line, so I really want the 97 to work.  Now to just try and find one.    :-\

Offline the perfesser

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
AFtsanflpp,

Here's your answer:  Stretch your shooting hand fingers as far apart as possible.  Using a ruler/tape/etc., measure the extreme distance from the tip of your thumb, to the tip of your little finger.  For instance mine measures 9.25 inches. 

The minimum "comfortable" distance in gripping the 97 seems to be around 8.75".  If you measure under 8.75", look at a Witness 45. 

I presume that the measure is from outside edge of thumb to outside edge of little finger?

Offline freddiewilliams

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 06:13:11 PM »
AFtsanflpp,

This would explain why I love the fit of my 97B. My hand measured 9.875".
I'm 5'-10" @210Lbs and wear XL size gloves.

Offline pista01

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »
Mine is 10" even.  That explains why every time I hold one at the LGS I hear "take me home".  It's the next gun on my list.  I'm 6'3" and 250lbs.  I wonder if I can conceal carry it?

Offline cawakening

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
Concealing it is a bit tough, but a shoulder holster and a zip up fleece works ok.

Offline AFtsanflpp

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »
Still trying to track one of these things down.  I took a closer shot at schmekys measurement idea and I was shorting my hands a half inch, tip of the thumb to tip of the pinkie outstretched is right at 9".  Of course this just adds fuel to my desire to actually lay hands on one.  Hopefully it'll fit so I can get it once I pin on Capt.

Offline cawakening

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 02:01:12 AM »
Well after I saw shmeckys measurements I tried it myself and I'm right at 8.75 inches.  It fits me fine.  My opinion is CZ couldn't have designed a pistol that a vast majority of people couldn't use or hold and shoot well.  I think people get used to a shooting method and don't want to adapt.  I do have to hold it differently than my 85b, but it's still comfortable, ergonomic, and easy to shoot well.

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
My hand measures just a hair under 9" and I'm very comfortable with my CZ97.  I'm using stretched Hogue CZ 75 grips which are supposed to be a bit thinner than the standard grips, but it was comfortable both before and after those grips were installed.  It's a big gun for sure, but not really huge, as in Desert Eagle huge.  Both of my sons shoot it perfectly well and they are about 5' 4" and weigh maybe 120# soaking wet.

Tim

Offline trainwolf

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:09 PM »
I just bought a 97 and I was a little worried about grip size. I like the size and my hands are medium. I do think my beretts 92 is larger than the 97.  The Beretta seems fatter in the grip and the 97 longer. My measurement was 8.0 inches.

Offline LuckyGunner

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
I ordered my 97B before I got a chance to get my hands on one. I thought the grip was a bit big, but not as bad as my FNP tactical. The 97 doesn't feel too bad in comparison.

anything