Author Topic: CZ-97B magazine capacity  (Read 19008 times)

Objekt

CZ-97B magazine capacity
« on: July 10, 2005, 09:44:35 PM »
I've owned a CZ-75B in .40 S&W for over two years, and though I own two other .45 ACP guns as well (Springfield Armory Milspec 1911 and S&W 625 revolver), am now considering yet another .45 ACP pistol.  I am looking at a CZ-97B because I am very impressed with the quality & affordability of my -75B, and also because CZ has been wonderful to deal with.  They replaced my original -75B under warranty, after two new extractors and as many trips to the factory failed to fix a chronic double-feed problem.  The new -75B has eaten 100% of what I've fed it, even my .40 S&W reloads, with no malfunctions whatsoever.

One thing I like about the -97B design is that it is double-stack, allowing more than the maximum 8 rounds of a 1911 (without a mag that sticks way out, at least).  Although it looks to me as if the -97B could easily hold 12 or 13 rounds, CZ lists its magazine capacity as 10 rounds.  Is there an aftermarket -97B magazine which holds more than 10 rounds?  Mec-Gar makes 12-round .40 S&W magazines for the -75B, and 16-round 9mm -75 mags, but they don't list any -97B mags.

This issue is important because I want a relatively high-capacity .45 as a carry option.  Para-Ordnance makes a 1911 variant which holds a whopping 15 rounds of .45 ACP, but it is too expensive for me.  With the rave reviews of the CZ-97B's accuracy, it would seem an affordable alternative, with prospects of holding nearly as many rounds of .45 ACP, if only it had proper magazines.

So, what's the deal?  Is CZ in fact shipping larger magazines with the -97B (and other pistols), and they just haven't updated their website?  Or is there really only room for 10 rounds in the -97B's grip?

BRASMAN

CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 02:46:26 AM »
I could be wrong but I think ten is all you get in the 97B. 10rds of .45 is fine with me. It would be neat if someone made a 15rd mag for it but I do not think they do.

Walt-Sherrill

CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 04:56:03 AM »
Essentially the same mag will hold 15 rounds of 10mm, but that round is a good bit smaller diameter.  

I tried loading .45s into one of those 10mm x 15 mags -- but they don't really fit well, because of the different shape of the feed lips and how the front of the mag is made.  

I could only get 9 into the mag, but there was clearly room for more rounds... The .45s did not like that mag.

You'd think that an extra round or two would be possible.

You'd also think, if it were possible, folks shooting Witness large frame guns would have come up with those mags a long time ago.  I haven't seen any, yet -- but then I've not been looking for them.

kngflp

CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 10:14:22 AM »
That little taurus millenium pro holds 10+1 I don't see why the 97 cant get 12+1. All the other full size double stack .45s hold 12+1.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 08:36:55 AM »
Quote:
You'd also think, if it were possible, folks shooting Witness large frame guns would have come up with those mags a long time ago.

Actually, there were 12 round Tanfoglio Competition Magazines for the .45 Witness available back in the early 90's, and they made use of a big rounded base pad to increase capacity.  Ugly looking things!  They are a rare item, these days.  Expensive if you can find them.

Have played with the +2 CPMI base pads for the .45 Witness, but only have gotten 11 rounds in them, so far.  I have been happy with the 10 round capacity.  I note that the new Taurus PT24/7 .45 gets a 12 round capacity.  Maybe MecGar will come up with one for the CZ97B/.45 Witness.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Objekt

CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 04:30:10 PM »
It looks like 10 rounds really *is* the max for the design.  Looking at the exploded parts diagram in the -97B manual, I don't see where there's any extra room.  By contrast, the mags I got with my .40 S&W -75B have a plastic block at the bottom, which is quite obviously just a spacer to dumb down the mag to meet the 10 round limit here in CA.

Having said that, I'm still thinking of getting a -97B.  They're just...neat.

And now for the bonus question: Is the -97B out of the question for concealed carry?  Of course I can read the measurements on CZ's website, but that isn't the whole story.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »
As everyone's body is different, it's right for you, only IF you CAN conceal it!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline skucera

CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 10:39:56 PM »
No, the CZ 97 isn't out of the question for concealed carry, but it is _very difficult_ to conceal.  It can be done in winter clothing.  It can be done the other three seasons with a fanny pack.  It can be done if you've got wide shoulders and a narrow hip and waist (I haven't looked that way in 15 years).

Scott

Offline Boricua

CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 09:33:05 AM »
I carry my 97B without any problem all year round in Arizona where it got up to 114 this week.  I beleive that most can carry a large pistol with no problem.  You just have to get the right rig for it.  A very important part of this is a wide and strong belt.  My set up is a Wilderness belt with a cen-dex IWH and mag carrier.  I have been carrying it for years now with no problems at all.:D

Offline Frank12345

Re: CZ-97B magazine capacity
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
I had an IWB Moon Hybrid Holster made for my CZ 97B by a company called MultiHolsters (http://multiholsters.com/).

It's a great holster - I can carry my CZ-97B all day with no problems.

They also made a holster for my CZ 75 PO-1 and it accommodates the crimson trace laser on that pistol

Finally, I know this is a CZ forum but, they made an IWB all kydex holster for my Glock 23 and it too accommodates the crimson trace laser on that sidearm.

Great company!

Offline Wangfat

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »
I just ordered a couple of Mac-Gar Tanfoglio ten round mags for my beloved 97B and game plan is to sacrifice one of them to my mill. Tig weld the machined one to the bottom of the stock (upper mag) and look to get 16 rounds. Will machine a Delrin or UHMW spacer to fit the two springs together, the lower one being shortened to accommodate it being cut off somewhere near the "diamond" fold where the mag narrows to single feed. Then re-blue the hole contraption and see how it runs.
An object lesson based on a dubious premise but it's my toy and I'll play with it any way I want!!!
As to consealed carry with the mutated mag...I don't think so...

Offline .45 acp nut

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »
You COULD order a SAR K2-45 from CDNN... www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-k2-45acp.html and have 15 rounds of .45 acp for about the same size pistol as the 97B.
Sempr Fi!

Offline rhart

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
Has anyone tried the SAR K2 mag in a 97B?
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »
Has anyone tried the SAR K2 mag in a 97B?

Doesn't fit. Sorry.

OP:

I have both and prefer the SAR to the 97, mostly because of bigger white dots on the sights. Both are more accurate than I am, so no need for Cajun or Custom enhancements on the 97. With 8 14rd mags I'm content with the SAR. Turkish walnut grips are icing on that cake!

You could find the SAR to your liking, many do.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:21:50 PM by jwc007 »
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline handgun2

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
ok, I read the posts.. but one thing I don't see really factored in here is the diameter/ circumference of the grip area.. can someone please use some string and measure the distance around a " high capacity 1911 - 14rnd" to a original, SAR for instance" to compare w/ a  " 10rnd" grip distance on a 97?

thanks,
K in MI