Author Topic: CZ 97B Vs Protector (Wilson Combat M1911)  (Read 3397 times)

Offline happytrigger

CZ 97B Vs Protector (Wilson Combat M1911)
« on: March 22, 2004, 05:43:27 PM »
Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a good .45 ACP for home protection and also to shoot at the range...in the long run I'd like compete but nothing really high end.

Beside the price difference may be someone can give me a better idea mostly about replacement parts and service...probably some one ask this already (sorry I didn't look for it before), but what's pros and cons of M1911 series 70 Vs CZ 97B??

Any information and opinions as welcome!

Thank you all

browneu-czechpistols82792

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 12:13:58 AM »
Hello,

I really don't know if one gun has a clear advantage over the other.  It just is a matter of preference between the two.  The 97 is a larger gun so the recoil is softer when shooting.  However, modifications can be made to reduce the recoil of a 1911.  The 1911 will most likely have a better trigger out of the box.  Yes a smith can improve the trigger on the 97 but the same can be said about a 1911.  There are a lot more after market parts and accessories for the 1911 than the CZ.  Depending on the set up of the 1911 I find that field stripping the CZ is easier.  Yet I can fully disassemble a 1911 while I wouldn't even consider taking my CZ completely apart.  And I don't think that one gun is anymore accurate than the other.  Personally, I would choose the 1911 as it fits my hand better.  You can't go wrong with either but I would try to hold each and get the one that feels more comfortable.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 06:13:29 AM »
I would expect the 1911 to have a better trigger, and the 97B to be a bit more accurate -- but that could go either way.

You need to hold samples of each and see which flips your switch.  I like 1911s, but there are a lot of of them out there.  I like CZ more, but the 97B just didn't work in my hand -- too big. (And my hand isn't small.)

rbernie

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 06:48:21 AM »
You also have to decide whether you value having a DA first-shot capability. If yes - look for a DA/SA that fits your hand. If not - first stop should be the 1911 ranks. :)

Offline happytrigger

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 10:42:27 AM »
Thank you all for your comments.

I do prefer a SA trigger and like the easy to find aftermarket parts in the M1911...but really like the looks of the 97B.

Do you know if the 97B is more accurate because of its weight or because the slide and frame are "tighter"?
Do you have any concerns a bout reliability in muddy and dusty enviroments where some dirt may jam the pistol when the parts are too tight?

My last question does anyone here shoot 97B at the practical shooting competition?

Thank you all again!

browneu-czechpistols82792

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 04:40:44 PM »
Hello,

What about the 97 looks that attract you?  If it is the full dust cover then you may want to look at the Les Baer Monolith.  It has full length dust cover allowing the frame to end where the slide ends.  (I am thinking about getting one of these myself.)  The Monolith is also heavier in weight than the standard 1911.  

Here is what I think on why the CZ is usually more accurate.  The pistols are comfortable and point naturally for most people. The slide in frame configuration allows for a lower slide profile allowing for less felt recoil.  And I believe that the CZ pistols do a very good job in obtaining tight consistent barrel lock up.  I don't believe that this has as much to do with the slide and frame fit but the type of barrel lugs used to lock the gun up into battery.  That being said there are many 1911s out there that are very accurate.  However, when choosing a 1911 I would be very careful on buying a gun that just promotes a tight slide to frame fit.  As you've alluded to in your question, a gun that is overly tight is more prone to malfunction when shooting in a dirty environment.  I shoot action pistol at a local outdoor gun range and I see a many 1911s jam up in the later stages.  Of course, someone will tell you the exact opposite of what I've told you since this topic has been debated quite extensively.

I haven't seen any 97s used in competition around here but have read on this forum and another of some people using them.  If you are going to do action type shooting I would again recommend the 1911.  There are a lot to choose from so just be careful in choosing the right one for you.

Offline happytrigger

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 05:09:11 PM »
Thank you browneu...I will check out the Monolit; but I cannot especified exactly what i like in the 97B. Perhaps that it looks like a tank! seems very rough and elegant at the same time, but besides the cosmetics and appearances, I haven't read any complain about it which is very impressive!
Thank you for your point of view regarding the competitions; I also think a solid 1911 will be better for competition, but let me tell you that if I could afford it I will buy a 97B as well!

Cheers!

Offline nathanking

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 06:36:36 PM »
Howdy happytrigger
I have a CZ97 and a Wilson CQB full size.
I purchased these with the idea of keeping the one I like best and selling the other. Now I can't decide because it's kinda like comparing an orange and a tangerine, similar but very different(my wife would like me to sell the Wilson because it cost 3X as much).
I bought the CZ new, just installed a stainless guide rod from 12voltman, 18lb Wolf recoil spring, smoothed the square trigger with my Drammel. Now this is a very nice (the best?) shooting DA/SA .45. Accurate and dependable.
vs.
Got a very good deal on the Wilson which was bought new and only had 100 rounds through it. Now this pistol defines accuracy. I can use it for competition (when I get out there and do it) home defense and carry, it's 1911 single stack is concealable.
Like the 1911 so much I WTT the CZ for 1911 compact

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 02:18:00 PM »
I can understand falling in love with a 1911, especially if you're shooting a Wilson, but don't expect the COMPACT version of the gun to perform as well, to be as reliable, or to be as accurate.  

Compact 1911s are a whole different world, with their own set of function and reliablity issues.

Offline nathanking

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 12:49:33 PM »
Thanks Walt, something to think about. I guess I have trading fever, think a compact would be a usable part of my expanding collection.

Offline Southern Forester

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 01:38:58 PM »
I say go for the 97 as it is half the price of the 1911 and more accurate.

(Just a short blurb.)

Davis