Author Topic: How to properly "SPRING" a EAA Witness  (Read 148532 times)

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: How to properly "SPRING" a EAA Witness
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
OK. That's good to know cause I'm picking up one this Saturday.  Any issues to look for with this model.  Whats a good belt holster or maybe concealed?

You need to ask these follow up questions in a separate thread, as they do not deal with Recoil Spring setup, which is the main topic of this thread.  FYI, I take thread hijacking seriously here!  Also, take a look at our stickyed Holster Thread at the top of this sub-forum.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Chief4

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
OUCH!!! I made a mistake.

Offline Bennybone

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »
Recommendation for "springing" a 2011 year model .38 super full size Witness?

a minimum option i.e. wolff spring kit alone

or

the works (guide rod) hammer spring, firing pin, mag etc...

Known working combinations for none LEO use.

Thx,

BB

Offline Bennybone

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
Here is an update on my .38 Super -

Took the gun, untouched to the range, and it functioned perfectly with 130 grain ball ammo.

Ordered the "works" from gunsprings.com (Wolff), here is what the order consisted of, mind you my handgun is a recent model.

Part No. 13127 - EAA Witness XP (extra power) recoil calibration pak
Part No. 26507 - EAA Witness "short" hammer spring pak (newer models have short spring)
Part No. 32010 - CZ-75/85 XP extractor spring
Part No. 74261 - TZ - 75 / AT-84 / P-9 XP Mag spring +5%

I installed the Mag spring first, I have the original 17 round (K38) magazine that shipped with the weapon, I had to cut a half coil off to work the fitament around the plastic base pad.

Next in went the extra power firing pin spring, which is a part of the recoil calibration pak.

Extractor spring was swapped, extractor checked for burrs, again I wasn't having extractor problems but figured a heavier duty spring would be beneficial.

Lastly the hammer spring, I opted to go for the 13lb for lightest pull, I have good hand strength but I am not a big guy so I went for the lightest weight.

I plan to start with the 20 lb spring first out of the gate at the next range trip.  Shoot 10 rounds and if no malfunctions try the 18lb spring next.

I will update with a final report.

NOTE - With such a light hammer spring (I can feel and see the difference) I am thinking I am going to need an extra long firing pin.  Henning Shoots Guns sales them but not for the DA full size, anyone know a source?

BB

Offline ComradePie

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
Anyone have any ideas (and I hope I'm not thread-jacking here  ::)) about where I can find either a dual spring set up or what kind of single spring I could use for a .45 Pro Comp Carry? I called EAA and they said I could buy a spring from them and have it fitted by a gunsmith. I'd rather just buy the proper dual springs and drop them in.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
Anyone have any ideas (and I hope I'm not thread-jacking here  ::)) about where I can find either a dual spring set up or what kind of single spring I could use for a .45 Pro Comp Carry? I called EAA and they said I could buy a spring from them and have it fitted by a gunsmith. I'd rather just buy the proper dual springs and drop them in.

Exactly what Pistol are you talking about?
.45 Carry Comp (Rare and no longer made)
.45 P Carry ( Polymer Semi-Compact)

Generally, you can get good Recoil Springs from Wolff, but they do not sell Dual Spring Setups.  Also, the Stock Spring setup for the P-Carry works very very well!

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline ComradePie

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
The .45 Carry-Comp; compact slide, ported slide and barrel, etc... I should have a picture somewhere...

The finish is SUPER hammered.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:06:44 PM by ComradePie »

badjuijui

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
Any spring recs for full size, small frame, poly Witness .40 S&W P-S? I only have 100 rounds thru it as this point and had one FTF.  I did clean it before shooting the first time.  This cleaning I polished the feed ramp with some Fitz. 

Offline Bluetrane2028

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
Witness Classic .40 here.

I upped the spring to an 18lb, recoil is greatly reduced, brass still throws about 12 feet.  Only got the chance to put about 100 rounds through it, but it seems to be no less reliable than factory.  A buddy who was shooting it had one FTF, but I think he limp wristed it a bit when it happened.  I noticed the gun jumping in his hands a whole lot more than mine.

badjuijui

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »
I just got a 16 pound recoil spring in the mail today, so I will try it out tomorrow.  It came with a firing pin spring as well, but I'm not sure why.  I did not replace the firing pin spring.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »
I just got a 16 pound recoil spring in the mail today, so I will try it out tomorrow.  It came with a firing pin spring as well, but I'm not sure why.  I did not replace the firing pin spring.

Wolff generally includes a Firing Pin Spring that as more of a courtesy, but it is also weighted to work with the Recoil Spring.  I recommend it's usage.

badjuijui

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »

Wolff generally includes a Firing Pin Spring that as more of a courtesy, but it is also weighted to work with the Recoil Spring.  I recommend it's usage.

Yep, you are right, it was longer.  Thanks for the advice.  Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.  Hopefully no more FTFs.

badjuijui

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
After uggrading to stronger recoil and firing pin springs, the Witness .40 shot tighter groups, but I still had FTF's.  But with one of my new mags, not the old one.  I need to take them apart and see if it is shorter like one was in my wife's EAA SAR b6p.  Boy, did I ever get some hot Federal 165 grain loads.  It was flashing like crazy and made twice the noise of the other ammo.  Not sure why, but it shot like plus p.  Anyway, I am waiting on my final change for my .40, the more powerful mag springs.  I only had ftf problems with the tulammo today on the one mag, but I'll bet it goes away with the new spring.  Just my thoughts.  I hope it goes away, because otherwise it's a great weapon. The sights are dead on now that I hold the weapon correctly.

7-13-13  Got the new 5% increase mag springs and that was the ticket.  It was so great to not have one single FTF, while shooting some consistent groupings that are the best I have ever shot with any handgun. My Smith and Wesson couldn't come close to this.  Now I am a rookie with handguns, but not guns in general.  I am not as stable, nor can I see as well as in my youth, but with practice, I can see myself reaching out to 25 yards with this weapon and shooting consistent groupings. I can't begin to say how pleased I am with this Witness .40 cal small frame that only cost me $302, adding the spring upgrades, then 330.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:28:23 AM by badjuijui »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 02:56:41 AM »
Very Interesting and Glad your Pistol is working as it's supposed to!  8)

badjuijui

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 12:17:12 PM »
Very Interesting and Glad your Pistol is working as it's supposed to!  8)

Thanks!  I shot it again with no problems again.  It is fast becoming my favorite weapon of choice.