Author Topic: Canik range report  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Spad2008

• veteran
Canik range report
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »
Not a good day, WW115gr white box. Failure to chamber on the third round, same on the sixth round. Mixed failures in 60 rounds. Toward 45-60 started to chamber some rounds in slow motion. You could see the hang up was on the throating. Examining the throat ramp lot of copper on the lower part. It would hang a round up with the bullet trying to advance up the feed ramp.I only brought one magazine. I shoot my CZ PO-1 with no problems. Took a Makarov I just aquired and it functioned perfectly. CZ PO-1 fits in the Canik but will not click in or seat, the first round will fire, but the magazine is pushed down. The Canik seemed to get better toward towrd the last rounds, but then again, a hang up. Very disappointing, considering the finish of the pistol. Will fire a hundredrounds init and see if it works better. The trigger has a small amount of grittiness on S/A before let of. The trigger also got better while shooting it. I will try and post some pictures..Bill
Colts
Rugers
CZ's
Caniks
FN,Rock Islands etc....

Offline coolbox

Re: Canik range report
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
I had a Canik Shark compact, 9mm. Three friends own Canik 55 Piranha (full size). No such issues reported, one of them has over 6000 rounds on it.

Did you clean the weapon before use?
What have you used to lubricate it, and how much? ( i looked at barrel pics in other thread, and looked like there was excess lubricant)
Try some other ammunition as well. I think the chamber is too tight, and slightly oversized ammo is causing seating problems, or, it is just a matter of break in with the springs...

It is indeed a nice weapon, very well finished.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline Spad2008

• veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:57:11 AM »
I cleaned and lubed the pistol, light coat of Rem oil on slide and lockwork. The WW white box is dirty stuff. The failures started at the third round. I'm going to cycle some snap caps thru it or WW stuff and see if the hang up is on the bottom of the feedramp, where there seems to be some knicks. I read where others have had no problems, so am a little disappointed. I own and shoot many varieties of pistols so am pretty careful about lube and cleaning. That chrome barrel really shines..Will take it out and shoot some other brands thru it. Thanks for the comments and re-enforcement of the positive on these Caniks. Hope it can be solved as I like the ergonomics and the light weight of this model...Bill
Colts
Rugers
CZ's
Caniks
FN,Rock Islands etc....

Offline bang bang

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:30 PM »
maybe they dont like ball/FMJ.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
Examine the Extractor for possible issues.  Also, disassemble, clean, and examine the Magazines (feed lips, followers) for possible issues.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:06:54 PM »
Spad2008 ....The good news is the problem you are having with feeding is most often easily corrected.  Usual causes :  (1) Extractor not radius to allow loaded round to slide under extractor hook.  A small radius will do wonders.   (2)  Burr left on breach face at the extractor cut.  (3) Magazine allowing rounds to nose dive.     Hope this is helpful.    R S

Remembering Warren Center
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spad2008

• veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:24:56 AM »
This is a brand new pistol so I am reluctant to fool with it at all, polishing etc. Hope I don't have to send it back, gonna give it more time.Too windy today to shoot. Will just have to see what happens. The feedback is appreciated. Spad :(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:31:13 AM by Spad2008 »
Colts
Rugers
CZ's
Caniks
FN,Rock Islands etc....

Offline Bret

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
I only brought one magazine. I shoot my CZ PO-1 with no problems. CZ PO-1 fits in the Canik but will not click in or seat, the first round will fire, but the magazine is pushed down.
Was the magazine you used in the Canik a CZ magazine or a Canik Mec-Gar magazine that came with the pistol?  I had the exact same experience with CZ Compact magazines falling out of the Canik.  It turns out that the Canik uses Witness pattern magazines, so the CZ pattern magazines won't work reliably.

Offline Spad2008

• veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 02:26:13 AM »
I tried my CZ PO-1 magazine in the Canik and it would fire the first round only. Would not click in place. The Canik mag was a Meg-Car. I will try and get out in the next day or so and try some more breaking in..Bill
Colts
Rugers
CZ's
Caniks
FN,Rock Islands etc....

anything