Author Topic: Gunsmith Review on Cajun Gun Works (schmeky), with my CZ 75D Compact (PCR)  (Read 17261 times)

Offline Vinnie

Gunsmith Review on Cajun Gun Works (schmeky), with my CZ 75D Compact (PCR)

There’s a new FFL/Gunsmith Shop in town… but certainly no stranger on the CZForum site. 
Specializing in CZ Pistols and 1911’s…

Gunsmith:
David (Schmeky) Milam, Gunsmith-Manager
Cajun Gun Works (CGW)
West Monroe, LA

Review by:
Vinnie - Roseville, CA 
June 2011

Firearm: CZ 75D Compact (PCR) 9mm pistol

----------------------------------------------------------------
List of Work completed by Cajun Gun Works (CGW)

* Reach Reduction trigger relocation (while Decocked).

* Trigger Job
     Machined hammer and disconnector to provide KIT4 performance,
     Cut trigger face, contoured, radiused, and epoxy coated,
     Smoothed and polished the action.

* Spring Kit - Supplied and Installed CGW SPGK1.

* New Trigger - Replaced serrated trigger with a customized version of the standard CZ 75B trigger.

* Custom Ghost Ring Rear Sight - Fabricated ghost ring rear sight into the stock sight.

* Fiber Optic Front Sight - supplied & Installed 6.5mm high FO.

Details

Extreme Reach Reduction Kit (ERRK) trigger relocation (while Decocked)

Since the PCR has a decocker (as opposed to a manual safety), one would hope that a PCR is never holstered with the hammer cocked!  So, the first shot out of a PCR from a defensive carry position will more than likely be made with a Double Action (DA) pull.

On a stock PCR the trigger is set approximately mid way inside the trigger guard until the gun is cocked.  Firing from this (uncocked) position means the index finger is straighter (more extended) during the initial pull, often leading to more sideways pressure on the trigger, thus compromising accuracy.

Schmeky’s ERRK mod moves the trigger back for a shorter finger reach when the gun is in the Decocked (or full hammer down) position. 

CGW offers two levels of Reach Reduction Kits:
   * The SRRK - Standard reach Reduction kit - $68.
   * and this one that I had done, the Extreme Reach Reduction Kit (ERRK) - $88.

NOTES about ERRK:

* Extreme Reach Reduction Kit (ERRK) trigger relocation, by itself, does not change the tension of the trigger pull, but rather just the distance of the pull.  See ‘Trigger Job’ below for modification of the tension and smoothness.

* When trigger is cocked it is in the same position as a stock cocked PCR.

ADDITIONAL NOTE:
For a comparison illustration, notice the difference on this SP-01 in its trigger position (between uncocked and fully cocked), since it does not have the reach reduction mod:

Trigger Job
  * Machined hammer and disconnector to provide KIT4 performance.
  * Cut, contoured, radiused, and epoxy coated.
  * Smoothed and polished the action.
  * Supplied and Installed CGW SPGK1 Spring Kit.

The 3 springs supplied and installed (CGW SPGK1 Spring Kit - $22) include:
     * 13# hammer spring,
     * Reduced power Firing Pin spring,
     * Reduced power Firing Pin Block Lifter spring – (this one makes the DA much lighter and still retains reliability)

This pic shows my stock PCR hammer after CGW made fresh precision cuts on hammer hooks, half-cock shelf, and the actual half-cock notch.   CGW’s trigger jobs can be done on your own hammer and action, or can be purchased as a do-it-your-self Kit to install at home (called KIT4, for decocker models).

When tuning the trigger, David contacted me to discuss the level of trigger sensitivity I wished to achieve. (He is the best communicator I’ve found in the gunsmith world).  We decided to err on the side of caution since this is a defensive carry pistol, and should avoid anything that could be considered a ‘hair trigger’.

The result is a much improved, far less gritty, smoother and cleaner trigger pull.

I don’t have a trigger-pull scale, but I do have a crude substitute; a hand-held scale with a hook, used to lift a suitcase by its handle to determine the weight.

Using this crude scale, I get a clean break at about:
  * 3.5 Lbs Single Action, and
  * 8.5 Lbs. DA

The DA pull actually feels a bit lighter than 8.5Lbs, due to the fact that the DA pull begins with the trigger being set further back, as a result of the CGW Reach Reduction trigger relocation job.

NOTE:
For a reference comparison, using the same crude luggage scale, on my SP-01 (with a manual safety, not decocker), with the Competition Hammer and a CZ Custom trigger job, the SP-01 pulls smooth and clean at:
 * 2.5 Lbs Single Action, and
 * 11 Lbs. DA

Cost for parts and labor on the CGW trigger job (with springs) runs about $140
The do-it-yourself Kit4 version (for decocker models) to install at home would cost $78
CGW SPGK1 Spring Kit is $22.

NOTE:
For CZ’s with a Manual Safety, CGW also offers a do-it-yourself ‘Drop-in’ Kit with an Adjustable sear, priced as follows:
  * KIT2 - Your CZ hammer recut, returned with a new adjustable sear (DA/SA only) - $88.00
  * KIT3 – Top-of-the-line DA/SA kit with a CZ Shadow hammer - $125.00

All CGW kits are shipped USPS for $3.50 shipping.

Additional NOTE:
Schmeky (CGW) is currently working on a beta of a new Ultra-Lite DA kit, which is proving to be successful with a 6.6# DA trigger pull.  :)

A New Trigger:

Browse the CZForum and you’ll find several threads discussing the ‘slap’ or ‘trigger sting’ some have experienced from their PCR (here’s one example).  I too, find this to be somewhat of an annoyance.  I’ve wondered if it was caused by the trigger itself (new PCRs come with a serrated trigger), or if the design of the trigger mechanism was causing some sort of shock to travel down through the trigger.  I’d have to say, anecdotally, that it may be a combination of both.  A simple test for me (besides actual firing, of course) was rapid and repeated DA dry firing.  This leads to a stinging sensation on the finger, and creates a numbness where the trigger hits the finger pad.

I had Schmeky replace the stock serrated trigger with his customized version of a standard CZ 75 trigger (not the recurve one).  Schmeky starts with a standard CZ 75 trigger, then machines it with a new contour, blends it, then epoxy coats it with an oven baked finish.  This process turns the face of the trigger to a warm straw color, and is very durable. 

The feel on the finger is smooth as silk, and provides a wide comfortable angle for the finger to rest on.  I knew when I took this baby out for a test fire that absolutely nothing sharp or edgy was going to be in contact with my trigger finger.

At the firing line I was surprised to learn that while the new trigger did get rid of most of the trigger sting, there was still a slight bit of it to be felt.  For this reason, I believe there is something about the lighter aluminum frame of a PCR that may be transferring some of the energy from the hammer drop down through the trigger mechanism, and through the finger.  On my all steel, heavier SP-01 there is absolutely none of this stinging sensation.   This new trigger on the PCR however, is simply beautiful, is really smooth, and does a very good job of eliminating a great deal of the PCR’s finger slap.

COST:  I don’t actually know what CGW charges for a trigger like this.  I traded Schmeky a couple other triggers for this one, but I will try to find out from him.

Ghost Ring Rear Sight and Fiber Optic Front

This project puts the ‘custom’ in Custom Gunsmithing….

I first came across the idea of a ghostring pistol sight when I stumbled onto a company’s website (now out of business) called ‘One Ragged Hole’.  They made ghostring sight blades for Rugers, so I bought one for my wife’s first gun, a .22 Mark III pistol.  On the Ruger MKIII it became apparent that anyone who has picked it up, even those who never shot a gun before, very quickly became surprisingly accurate with the pistol.  It is amazingly easy to aim, and is especially useful when engaging multiple targets, or for quick acquisition of a target.

While searching to see if something like it existed for my CZ, I found this article which confirmed my own experience.  After reading through it multiple times, and tracking down the author to exchange ‘ghost stories’,  I decided on a custom ghostring sight to be made from a piece of metal tubing cut and fitted into a standard rear sight, or into a competition rear sight.  After submitting the concept to David Milam (Schmeky) he thought it would be a pretty simple task.  So, with his new FFL in place, as Cajun Gun Works (CGW), I shipped him my PCR to have all of the previously described work done, plus the creation of my Custom Ghost Ring Rear Sight, with fiber optic (FO) front sight.

Here were the specs:

* Aperture (inside diameter) of the ring to be 1/4 inch with outside diameter 3/8”
 * Point of Aim to be target inside center dot:

Schmeky was very helpful and willing to thoroughly discuss the project, keep me in the loop, and confirm my acceptance of the design during the construction process. (he definitely went above and beyond my expectations providing exceptional service!)

Here are some pics during construction:

We decided to proceed with a build mounted into a CZ 75 Competition sight. The pics above show the precision and quality of Schmeky’s work.

When things are going smoothly a person’s character often gets a free ride…  but when his plans take a wrong turn, that’s when you get a peek at the real character of a person.  The comp sight turned out beautifully, and as David put it. “…it is virtually flawless….easily the trickest sight I have ever done”.   Unfortunately, it was also too high for the PCR, and could not be zeroed when David test fired it.

So, Plan B kicked in, and Schmeky immediately went to work on a new Ghost ring using the stock low profile rear sight from my PCR.  He stayed on it till it was done and by the next day he had a finished product.

Schmeky’s test fire of the lower profile ghostring zeroed perfectly using a standard 6 o'clock hold under the target, but made the point of aim about an inch high at 25 ft. when shooting with the fiber dot centered in the middle of the ring (the eye’s natural point-of-aim with a ghostring).  David’s calculations determined that a front FO sight 1mm higher should zero perfectly.

During our discussions, a couple things came to mind:
  1. I tend to pull shots a little low, especially in fast point-n-shoot situations.
  2. This PCR is carry piece, so I didn’t really want to add more height (that could snag) on the front end of the pistol.

So, we decided to leave it alone (often a good idea) knowing that I could always install a higher front sight in the future.

COST:
Parts - Supply front FO and rear Competition sight - $125.00
Labor - Machining and fitting rear sight, includes front sight install - $125.00

As David prepared to ship me the completed PCR I asked him if he thought the other Comp Ghostring Sight might work on my SP-01.  He said he’d just give it to me and I could try it and see.  I offered (several times) to pay him for this other ghostring sight but he declined to accept my additional payment and insisted I just take it as a freebie.

Here are the pics of the finished ghost ring sight on the PCR:

GHOST RING RANGE REPORT:
CZ 75D COMPACT (PCR)

Firing from a supported bench position, with the FO dot centered in the ghostring at a target distance of 21ft. hits horizontal center, about an inch high (just like he said).

However, when I stood and raised the pistol two-handed, shoulder high, and engaged the target unsupported... nearly all of the shots were landing within the circle of view from the ghostring.  Sweet.   This means, for me… that using a fast point and shoot at center mass is going to result in holes being drilled in, or pretty darned near center mass….  and for a defensive carry piece, that is what it is all about.

BONUS!...   SCORE!!!

Here are the pics of the freebie... (the one that didn't zero on my PCR) ;D
Schmeky's first attempt ghost ring sight, now installed on my SP-01:

GHOST RING RANGE REPORT:
CZ75 SP-01

This experience was incredible.

I was not expecting anything good to come from the rejected first-attempt ghost ring that had not zeroed to the PCR… but what happened at the range with it on my SP-01 was simply amazing.

Firing from a supported bench position, with the FO dot centered in the ghostring at a target distance of 21ft… the first 3 shots each took out a piece of the target’s 1/2 inch bull’s-eye! 

Bingo, Baby.  While standing unsupported, my shots dotted the inner circles of center mass. 

I can happily report that my experience with David & Cajun Gun Works has been a complete success!

~ Vinnie

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:13:47 AM by Vinnie »

Offline Stuart

Awesome review and thanks for posting the photos..that is a great aid in seeing what was done.
David's work makes me very jealous of his talent and ability.

Be interesting if Ghost ring sights make a comeback in popularity.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:46:28 PM by Stuart »

Offline recoilguy

I like the idea of the ghost ring sight. I  haven't got time to read this entire thread right now but will later tonite!

I may want one fo my SP-01 if it is available

RCG
........Its that you shoot!

Offline Vinnie

I like the idea of the ghost ring sight. I  haven't got time to read this entire thread right now but will later tonite!

I may want one fo my SP-01 if it is available

RCG

If you are interested in learning more about a ghost ring for your pistol, it is well worth your time to check out this link, (it is also linked above).  Read the entire article, as well as the comments that follow where he talks about the importance of not getting anything smaller than with a 1/4" opening. That advice is valule.  You absolutely will not shoot better with a smaller ghostring.  (The inner diameter of the ring on my wife's Ruger MKIII is even bigger, at 9/32" and is scary accurate).   Also, his advice about not getting inserts left and right of the ghostring is also correct.  You do not want anything that calls your eye's attention to the rear sight... no dots, & nothing that glows.

Hope that helps... Vinnie

Offline schmeky

Vinnie,

Thanks for the write up.  I didn't know he was comtemplating a review until he sent me an e-mail after he got his compact back from me. 

Stuart,

In many respects you're better at this than I am. 

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Very Nicely done!  ;D 8)

Be interesting if Ghost ring sights make a comeback in popularity.

That would be nice!  I certainly think they should!

I have Enterprise Arms Ghost Ring Rear Sights on my customized Colt 1911 and Taurus PT92.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:23:04 AM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline BigK

• Silence is golden...duct tape is silver.
Nice work! Great write-up. I can't wait to read up on the sights. The trigger idea sounds too good to be true. I can't believe I'm just hearing about this.

Offline Vinnie

Re: Gunsmith Review on Cajun Gun Works (schmeky), with my CZ 75D Compact (PCR)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
follow up...
 Still luv'in it   8)
 Vinnie

Offline Joe L

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
I love reading these excellent write-ups and reports.  One of the best things about the CZ's is that we have at least two excellent shops that can work on our guns and can supply excellent aftermarket high performance parts. 

I spent two hours this morning modifying the sear and hammer and smoothing out the ignition parts on a brand new SIG P-226 to just get the DA smooth and to get the trigger SA pull under 4 lbs without an infinite amount of creep.  (I have done this work successfully on 8 guns so far.)  I can't buy good aftermarket parts for a SIG, so I have to modify the originals. 

On the CZ, I can buy excellent parts and I have learned that I get excellent results if I just buy the aftermarket parts and use them as supplied by CGW and CZ Custom.   

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline Yer

• Noblesse Oblige
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
Didn't know Schmecky worked on 1911s as well, might have send the 1911 with the future SP-01 whenever it arrives.
Remington R1 Enhanced.
No one remembers the name of trampled flowers. Fallen birds await the wind before they try again. Prayers will not save us. Only the will to fight can change our world.

Offline sof

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Didn't know Schmecky worked on 1911s as well, might have send the 1911 with the future SP-01 whenever it arrives.

You are soooo going to love that gun. Do us all the favor of writing the day of your first time out with it after the mods.

Offline Yer

• Noblesse Oblige
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »

You are soooo going to love that gun. Do us all the favor of writing the day of your first time out with it after the mods.

Oh I will. I still have to take this new remington R1 Enhanced out and I'll do a review on that.
Remington R1 Enhanced.
No one remembers the name of trampled flowers. Fallen birds await the wind before they try again. Prayers will not save us. Only the will to fight can change our world.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
sorry I missed the warning at the top and replied to the wrong thread

CG
........Its that you shoot!

Online muggia59

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 04:44:41 PM »
Oh good Lord. Another upgrade that I really like. That would probably go well on the P09 with the fiber optic front. Very nice write up Sir. Looks as if it came out of a magazine.
CZ75b Omega, CZP09, CZP07, CZ2075b Rami, CZCadet kit, VZ2008, K2 45, 3 large faithful dogs, and 1 little one that rules them all :)

Offline Joe L

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »
The original post is from 2011, updated in 2013.  Still a great report. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,