Author Topic: 9x21 Tangfolio Steel Witness Comp Kits for sale at Numrich  (Read 2179 times)

Offline mustang400

9x21 Tangfolio Steel Witness Comp Kits for sale at Numrich
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:35:13 AM »
Tangfolio Comp Kits in 9x21:  5.5" SS threaded barrel.
                                               black 2-port compensator
                                               full length guide rod & spring

These fit full size Witness models w/steel frames.

When i bought my 9mm conversion kit from Christie at EAA in mid-june, i asked her about availalbility of 9x21 slides/barrels and she said EAA had just sold Numrich a lot of new/old stock parts. This Kit sounds like it might have come from that transaction. I would guess they don't have many.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: 9x21 Tangfolio Steel Witness Comp Kits for sale at Numrich
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
They might have better luck selling them in Italy, Mexico, or Brazil, where Military Calibers are forbidden to civilians.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
They would make a good project for converting to 9x23 Winchester, since the boltface would be the same and the bore diameter would be correct.  All it would take would be rechambering the barrel....  And I happen to have access to a 9x23 chamber reamer...........

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Bret

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »
How about some links?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1291580&catid=8661
My guess is that these are for the small frame full sized guns, so 9x23 wouldn't work.  Regardless, I don't see them selling in the US, especially at that price.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:04:31 AM by Bret »

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
I'll let you know, since I ordered one of the sets and own several of both frame sizes.  I also already shoot 9x21, so either way the barrel and comp will be put to good use.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline mustang400

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
Bret,
 take 30 minutes and shop barrel prices. There's twenty companys that the price is cheap for a 5-1/2" threaded barrel. Numrich says
it fits " standard full size Witness models with steel frame"? Looking at their picture and a pic of a current Gold Team gun, the compensator looks like a first generation piece(which i don't need). Would you please clear up the "small frame full size", that was before my time with Tangfolio's. Is the barrel circumfrence different? This barrel is longer than the current Gold Team barrel by 1/4"

Fred,
would like to talk more about your 9x23 chamber reamer.

Offline Bret

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »
mustang400, I'm not saying that the price is bad for all that's included when compared to regular barrel prices.  It's just that there is virtually no demand for 9x21 here in the US, so the price would have to be really low to create the demand.  I'm not sure if some of the parts shown are different for a large (current EAA imports sold in the US) versus a small (old EAA import sold in the US and still sold most everywhere else) framed pistol.  Perhaps someone else who has both can clarify if the barrels and recoil springs interchange.  Something's got to be different because the large frame slides have to be longer.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Guys Tanfoglio  went to the large frame Witness in 2005.  The barrel in the large frame is larger in diameter than the barrel in the small frame.  This was needed to allow the Witness to shoot the 45apc.   Hope this helps.    R S

Remembering Col. Jeff Cooper
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline mustang400

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
We will find out when Fred gets his next week, what frame this kit fits.

I now know of two people who bought one. Nemrich has a 100% money back policy if you don't modify it. Has anybody looked at loading tables for the 9x21, quite impressive.

If it fits, i'm going to cut the barrel to 5" and put a thread protector on it and hope to get Freds help in reaming it. Won't need the spring, guide rod or compensator. If it doesn't fit i'll return it.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:28:30 PM by mustang400 »

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:50:17 PM »
The barrels and slides don't interchange between the small frame (9x19/.40 S&W) Witnesses and the large frame (.38 Super/10mm/.45 acp) Witnesses.  The magazines also aren't interchangable between the two.  When Tanfoglio started exporting only the large frame Witnesses to the U.S. they made them handle all the calibers mentioned above.

I'll end the speculation when I receive my barrel assembly and fit it to one of my Witnesses.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS:  mustang400, I don't own the 9x23 Winchester chamber reamer.  It belongs to a friend of mine who is a gunsmith by trade.  He will loan it to me to rechamber my own barrel, but that's about it.

Offline mustang400

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 05:37:09 AM »
ReloaderFred,

I think we are going to find that this 9x21 kit is built on the small frame. If i was EAA and had a bunch of new/old stock parts for the small frme gun which they don't import any more, i'd sell them to Nemrich.

All speculation will end next week when you recieve your kit. Look forward to hearing about your new factory barrel.

david

Offline Bret

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Has anybody looked at loading tables for the 9x21, quite impressive.
I'd look at the COL that is specified in the loading tables.  If these barrels are for small frames, then the load data should be virtually identical to regular 9x19 because the overall length is the same.  If the kits are for large frames, then the COL can be extended which can lead to higher velocity.  We'll see.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 10:15:04 PM »
I received my 9x21 kit from Numrich today and tried it in several different Witnesses.  It's definately not made for the older small frame, 9x19/.40 S&W guns.  The slide is held back out of lockup, just like when a large frame barrel it attempted.

It does fit in two of my .38 Super slides and when I mated it to one of my large frame Witnesses it locked up just fine.  It does have one issue that I'll have to work out when I get some time to mess with it, which could be awhile.  It locks back the slide, via the slide stop, even without a magazine installed.  It does this both with the recoil spring installed and without the recoil spring installed, so it has to do with the barrel itself.

This solves the mystery of which frame these barrels fit.  It's the large frame.

Once I get the slide lock issue solved, this barrel will become a 9x23 Winchester barrel.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Offline mustang400

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 06:55:16 AM »
Fred,
I one i got did not fit my current 38S Match large delux frame. I've sent mine back already.

Jim Milks at Innovative Custom Guns will ream my 9mm barrel to 9x23 in early Aug.

Good to hear yours is going to work out for you!

david