Author Topic: Scope for CZ 527 Carbine  (Read 6658 times)

Offline EagleEye

• Monahans-West Texas
Scope for CZ 527 Carbine
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
Being new to rifle shooting I am wondering which of these two Redfield scopes would be the best to purchase.  I will not be firing over 300 yards and probably around 100 to 200 will be the normal shooting I will be doing.  I am buying the CZ 527 Carbine 223 but will be buying other rifles from CZ in the future as well.  I was recommended the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 which is 11" long  and I also saw the 3-9x40 which is 12.3" long and they are almost the same price.  I also don't have any experience with the view finders in them and I know what the accu-range is and what the 4-plex is but don't know if they matter much for hitting golf balls and targets.  What do you experts suggest.  At these prices I think a guy could get both. I have found them both for about 130.00 a piece.   
We are all here because we are not all there!

Offline 2fewdaysafield

Re: Scope for CZ 527 Carbine
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:49:15 PM »
With the majority of your shooting being between 100 and 300 yards I'd go with the 3X9.  I don't consider a 2X7 to be useful for over 150 yards. I put 2X7s on my tree squirrel rifles.  3X9 is a good "all around" scope.  If you are going to shoot from a bench and do a substantial amount of your shooting at over 200 yards I'd want something with a max power closer to 14 or 16.  If you want the higher power, there are excellent quality scopes in the 4.5 X 14 range  for about the same money as the Redfield.

Offline buddy.223

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
2-7-33 is more of a rimfire or closer range deer scope in a heavier caliber. go for something like 3-10 or 14 in the 40 to 50. i have a 3-12-50 on my 527 .223 and dont consider it over scoped.

Offline EagleEye

• Monahans-West Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
I think I am going with a 3-9-40.  I went to a friends house and he has one and I played with it and it was pretty sweet.  It was just a cheap BSA but the magnification was decent.  What 3-12-50's would you recommend?.

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »
I don't own any 3 X 12 X 50 scopes, but Mueller makes a very nice 4.5 X 14 X 40 AO  Model is called the APV.  I have one on my CZ 527 American .223.  Very Nice glass.  They generally run $130-$140

Offline EagleEye

• Monahans-West Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
Thanks I will go check them out too. 

Offline EagleEye

• Monahans-West Texas
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
I need an opinion here friends.  I just saw a Bushnell Elite 4200 for 199.00 and it is new.  What do you guys think.  It is a 3-9x40.  That is with shipping. 

Offline buddy.223

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:22:26 AM »
ive got a zeiss duralyt 3-12-50, which is  fantastic. the bushnell elite should be a good , ive an old Bushnell trophy on a BSA for years.have you gone of the redfield,which i think belong to leopold which would also  be worth a look , ive got a  vx 2 3-9-40 on a cz 452 .22 rimi . i guess its just down to personal preferences, but i would go slightly higher on the mag, the 4200 has a huge selection. buy the best you can afford, you never know what rifle you would get next, then youl not have to worry again about scope choices. if  like  me your 527 .223 is a hunting only rifle go for the enclosed turrets every time. one furthur point; mounts: again personal choice, ive a scoped of these rifles and have found the warne med or high permanently fixed excellent. but with any mounts and scope combination on a 527 check the bolt handle clears the mag ring on the scope. on one of my rifles i used the med rings and had to take a shaving of the handle.

Offline EagleEye

• Monahans-West Texas
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
Just ordered the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 for 199.00.  Should be here next week.  Will post an opinion once received.  Thanks guys.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
And pics... ;)

Offline EagleEye

• Monahans-West Texas
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
Soon as it all gets here there will be lots of pics.  I got today the rail from CZ that you spoke so highly of.  I must say it is rather expensive but it is top notch quality for sure.  That thing is solid as a rock.  Thanks for the advice. 

Offline Bret

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Pictures?

Offline EagleEye

• Monahans-West Texas
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
Here are a couple!

Offline banzai510(hainz)

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »
 I was recommended the Redfield Revolution(leupold made) 2-7x33 which is 11" long  ????

I think it would be perfect!!!!!!!!!!Compact!!!!!  7 power is more than enought for a pop gun.
I will get one for my 527 when I get a new stock(cracked!!!!)
I think its more the gun than the scope in this case(527 carbine in 762x39). Can it shoot good at 150? I will have to see myself. 75 -100 yards i think the 2x7 will be perfect.

Bushnell Elites(made in Japan) and weavers(jap glass) are good for a cheaper scop also. Good glass.
Entry level Leopulds I like also.

Offline DoctorFine

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »
I just got my 527 Carbine in 7.62x39.  I chose a Leupold 3-7x33 rimfire VX1 scope for it.  The Leupold rimfire is built the same way as all the other Leupold centerfire scopes and can handle the recoil.  It is a tiny scope.  The gun is a tiny gun (smaller and lighter than my hunting 22!).

I did not like the CZ rings that came with the rifle.  The lower portion of the ring was tight and wanted to chew the finish off my scopes, (no way).  Plus the combination of talll rings and low stock comb really did not cut it. 

I replaced the CZs with the lowest "windage adjustable" Millett Angle-loc rings (in "low") after a great amount of searching.  Low rings for these guns are apparently scarce as hens' teeth as folks keep hanging great big scopes on them is my guess.  And you will need big tall honkin rings if you use just about any other size scope.  All my other scopes hit something or just wouldn't sit at the right spot for eye relief.  Even a simple four power scope with a smallish rear bell hit the bolt big time even with the tall CZ rings!

I am just stubborn enough to want a low scope on any stock that has a low comb.  And I dig that the stock IS low because I plan on at some point going back to iron sights for this rifle.  And man does it line up right with iron sights.  Maybe a Williams WGRS on the rear after drilling and tapping a hole.  Anyone done this?

Meanwhile the Millett rings drop the VX1 scope enough that even the VX1s extremely small rear eyepiece lens just barely clears the bolt handle by 1/100 of an inch.  The rear rifle sight is allowed to stay put as the front objective on the VX1 just misses it.  The eye relief of the scope is perfect.  It even looks 100% centered in between the rings which is very attractive indeed.

In short the low rings and easy to mount VX1 are squeezing out the most performance I can get without sawing off the rear iron sight or plugging the hole etc, not to mention buying a new bolt handle that has been ground down for lower clearance.  For what it is the current rig give a solid cheek weld and perfect eye relief without any big deal modifications.  Thank goodness for simple fixes.

There may be another combination of scope and rings out there that does something special for someone else but this rig is ideal for my needs.  The 7.62x39 shines close-in as it is a sort of reduced load .308.  It is usefull for brush work and woods hunting as is the gun, as is the scope.  Everything in this rig works at its best from somewhat less than 125 yards right down to up close and personal.  The scope parallax is set at 60 yards by the factory.

Plus a small scope just looks great on such a tiny rifle.  And I love sexy looking guns, I admit it.

By the way I have been to the range twice.  Once to break in the barrel with a meticulous cleaning ritual.  Break in was accelerated once I discovered that fouling was just not an issue.  Then yesterday I went to the range to get a baseline on how she shoots without having adjusted anything or bedding it or floating the barrel which is hitting the forend a bit.  No nuttin, just a "before" snapshot so to speak.

She immediately shot under an inch five targets in a row on cheap Barnual Bear ammo at 50 yards.  I would not be amazed if the gun can be tuned up to true MOA with some elbow grease and attention to the usual culprits.  Yes, this gun rocks my world, you betcha!

By the way I don't see any way for me to post pictures of how it looks with a low scope.  How is that done so others can see the rifle for themselves and decide if it worked out to their liking?

anything