Author Topic: Range report on my new Tanfoglio 22LR/9mm full-size  (Read 8346 times)

Offline FloridaCracker

Range report on my new Tanfoglio 22LR/9mm full-size
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:20:45 AM »
Here's my range report on my brand new Tanfoglio 9mm/22LR pistol I picked up last week.

I started out with the 22LR slide installed and I was literally like a kid in a candy shop after the first trigger pull. What fun!!!! I can unload it faster than I can load it while staying inside the 6" target at 30' (need that Baby UPLULA....).

Here a couple of pics (there's 50 rounds between these two photos - 20 + 30). These are at 10 yards/30 feet and the target is about 6" diameter:

Then I switched over to the 9mm slide and tested the gun and some 124 grain reloads I made on a friend's new Dillon 650.

Absolutely love the gun, great trigger  ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:15:57 AM by FloridaCracker »
I’m consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. - Barack Obama, 2004
South Floridians, stops paying too much for guns and ammo: http://groupbuybulkammo.com

Offline deucer01

Re: Range report on my new Tanfoglio 22LR/9mm full-size
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »
Nice shooting. What kind of .22 ammo? Thinking about getting a .22 conversion kit for my Witness.

Offline Bret

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »
The big question: RELIABILITY, how was it?

Also, where did you get it and how much was it (if you don't mind sharing)?  I was thinking about getting a CZ75 Kadet, but this may just do the trick instead.

Offline FloridaCracker

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:34:19 PM »
Thanks.
The 22 ammo was just cheap $1.65/50 lead stuff. I'm switching to jacketed because I don't want the lead on my hands.
I picked up some Federal 40 grain (I think) jacketed stuff last night at Made in China Mart. I think it was $19 for 550. I'm okay with that to not have the lead.  :)

Reliability was 100% shooting 50 rds of 22 and 40 rds of 124grain 9mm that I reloaded on a friend's new Dillon 650. I shoot a fair amount of .45 so I'm thinking about going down the reloading path in the near future.

Price: We have a LGS/buying group here in South Florida that does a monthly group buy on ammo, a few select accessories, and two or three guns every month. This one was offered at $381 and all ten sold in a few hours. They also had two models (9mm and .40) of Poly Tanfoglio for $284. These are cash prices (3% for cc) and don't include the Florida sales tax of 6%. It's kinda cool, they throw a BBQ when the stuff is available to be picked up so you get a burger to go with guns and ammo  ;D

A friend that bought one has decided not to keep his if anyone is interested. He's decided to shoot IDPA .45 exclusively (or something along those lines anyway). He said 9mm doesn't knock down the steel targets  ???
I’m consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. - Barack Obama, 2004
South Floridians, stops paying too much for guns and ammo: http://groupbuybulkammo.com

Offline dirt1

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »
I'd be interested in it. Shoot me an e-mail and let me know how many rounds he has through his and what he is looking to get out of it.
Thanks
dirt1
cowden@frontiernet.net

Offline FloridaCracker

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »
I'd be interested in it. Shoot me an e-mail and let me know how many rounds he has through his and what he is looking to get out of it.
Thanks
dirt1
cowden@frontiernet.net

You should be getting an email from Kevin (the actual owner) either tonight or tomorrow.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 04:58:08 AM »
(need that Baby UPLULA....)
FloridaCracker:
FYI
Before you go out and spend the $30.00+ on a BabyUpLULA, please note....
The BabyUpLULA is for single stack magazines ONLY and WILL NOT load your Witness .22lr (conversion) mags (since they are ?double stack? mags)
I'm not trying to drum-up business, but as of right now, my UpLula-Mod is the only double stack .22lr (conversion) magazine loader available
Here are a couple links to check out;
My ad;
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=24219.0
And my UpLula-Mod Pic-Tutorial;
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=24310.0
As I said, I'm not trying to drum-up business, just trying to save you time, money, and the aggravation of getting a loader that isn?t what you want
Let me know if I can answer any questions you may have
Shoot safe, Den S

Offline FloridaCracker

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 07:57:56 AM »
Den,

Thanks, I would have been unhappy and $30 poorer  ;)

You should have an email from me at your AOL address.

Offline Bret

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
I ordered one of these 22LR/9mm combos off of Gunbroker.  I got it for $445 delivered.  It seems like the lower prices have gone away.  Most are in the high $400 or low $500 range now.  I bought it because I wanted a CZ75 22LR Kadet, but just couldn't justify paying over $600 for a 22LR pistol.  With this combo I get a very similar 22LR and an extra 9mm upper half that I'm going to (hopefully) have converted to 9x23.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »
FloridaCracker:
E-mail received and info on its way....Thank you

Bret:
The Witness .22lr Conversion is a nice little unit
BUT, (and, don?t get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a fight here) it doesn't hold a candle to the Kadet
A CZ Kadet (on a well toned frame) has the potential to be one of the most accurate .22lr pistols you?ll ever shoot (with the same barrel length) at any price
The Witness is a very fun .22lr pistol and yes, the Witness itself gives you almost unlimited flexibility when it comes to caliber conversions
That 9mm/.22lr (like the .45acp/.22lr) Combo, is a VERY NICE set-up for the $$$
One suggestion though?
Get and keep a Hoppe?s .22lr BoreSnake handy
Run it through the unit a couple times every couple hundred rounds
It will keep the crud from building up in the chamber and help reduce FTF, FTC and FTE problems
Just my $0.02
Shoot safe all, Den S

Offline Bret

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »
BUT, (and, don?t get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a fight here) it doesn't hold a candle to the Kadet
A CZ Kadet (on a well toned frame) has the potential to be one of the most accurate .22lr pistols you?ll ever shoot (with the same barrel length) at any price
The truth is the truth.  Who knows?  Perhaps I'll have both some day.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
I must agree with FloridaCracker in that the Kadet is a better conversion than the Witness.  It will shoot a much wider range of 22 ammo and will be more accurate.  Is it worth the extra cost?  That is a different issue.  R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bret

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
Well since we're on the subject and I like to learn from the experience of others, what ammo works reliably in the 22LR Witness?

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
Personally...
It took quite a bit of work, but I did get mine to run on Federal Bulk (95+/-%)
CCI works well
But it really loves the high priced, high octane stuff
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 11:55:08 PM »
Winchester Wildcat worked 100% in the Witness 22 I worked on.  R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson