Author Topic: CZ52 9MM  (Read 9903 times)

Offline berdes

CZ52 9MM
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »
Have a CZ52 7.62x25 which works well with it's native ammunition.
Purchased a 9MM barrel for it since I still have a lot of mm rounds.
With the 9MM it jams, stovepipes, and generally malfunctions.
If I remove the standard 7.62 barrel from the gun and drop a round in, the round slips in and out easily. With the 9MM barrel, the round slips in easily, but fits too tightly to drop back out. I'm a little afraid to hone the barrel. What do ya'll think ?
Thanx   

Offline skucera

Re: CZ52 9MM
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:13:15 AM »
Well, if you have accurate calipers, measure the round to see if it is actually in spec, and then measure the camber to make sure it is.  My hunch is that either the cartridge case or the chamber is out of spec.  If you don't have the instruments, you can always take your pistol to a gunsmith or machinist to get it measured.  If you do, look up the 9mm Parabellum cartridge specifications, print them out, and take them along for reference.

Scott

Offline BigK

• Silence is golden...duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 02:33:20 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your 9mm barrel. I've had one for a long time and just got around to trying it out this past weekend. I've got to say, I was surprised it worked so well. I had no issues whatsoever with feeding, extracting, or accuracy.

Regarding the bullet to barrel fit, I DEFINITELY would not go messing with the chamber. I agree with skucera. Check the ammo first and foremost. If you can easily pull the cartridge from the chamber with your fingers, but it won't fall out under it's own weight, I'd first check to see if the bullet is just hanging up in the rifling. This can happen if the OAL on the ammo is too long and/or the ogive of the bullet is too fat for your barrel. The best way I was told to check this is to color the projectile part of the loaded cartridge with a Sharpie, remove the barrel from the gun, drop the bullet in gently, and turn the barrel upside down or remove bullet by hand, if necessary. Look at the bullet...if the Sharpie ink is scratched off, that's your problem. PM Wobbly over in the reloading forum, he can explain it better. He's who I learned this from.

Unless the cartridges are sticking tightly in the chamber (i.e. it's hard to pull them out with just your fingers) I doubt that's causing your feeding/cycling issues, though. If the jams/stove-pipes are loaded ammo, the issue may be that your mags just need to be tuned a bit. Try pushing the follower down into the mag and ever so slightly squeeze the feed lips together. Test fire and repeat until the double-feeds/stove-pipes stop. If the jams/stove-pipes are spent cases, I'd try replacing the extractor spring first before I took it to a smith and paid big money.

Good luck
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:46:24 AM by BigK »
The U.S. Constitution: frustrating liberals since 1789.

Offline berdes

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies. So far I've measured five different manufactures 9MM round's and found them all to be virtually identical (diameter). I couldn't get into the end of the chamber with my caliper to get that measurement, so I tried the "sharpie test". That showed that the round was tight at the start of the rifling in the barrel, but not all around the circumference, only at the points where the rifling met the end of the chamber. Used a fine wet/dry paper to smooth the edges off and now the rounds will drop out when the barrel is
inverted. Also removed the extractor and filed it down as per the Harrington suggestion, and checked the spring which appears to be ok. Hope to get out to the range over the weekend and see how it works now. Thanks again, I'll post the results as soon as I can.   

Offline berdes

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »
Well, we're making progress. Just have to file off a little on the top edge of the chamber and figure out if the mag is not part of the problem. Some times the round will miss entering the chamber completely and catch on the top edge as if trying to eject the live round. 

Offline Twmaster

• Fanatic, Heritic, Lunatic!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »
You might want to try a dremel type tool with a small grinding stone rather than a file. I'd be reluctant to grind/file on the chambering.

I wish I could find a 9MM barrel for my CZ52 without having to sell a kidney....
Mike

Because liars fear the truth.

Offline berdes

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
Thanks, you're right, no file. I've been using a fine paper whetted with lubricant. At the range I loaded a magazine with what I thought was standard 115 gr 9mm ammo.
Gun worked perfectly. Only after did I notice I had loaded it with 124 gr +P ammo which I usually save for the Luger.
SO - does anyone have a favorite ammo for the 9MM CZ ? And is there a "good" weight / power that seem's to function better than others in this gun ?

Offline Hayfield123

• Yeah, go ahead. Break into my house!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »
I wish I could find a 9MM barrel for my CZ52 without having to sell a kidney....
Me, too . . . I'd love to convert mine to 9mm but can't find a barrel I can afford and keep the kids and the dog!

Heard a rumor that someone (Czechpoint?) might be considering a 9mm barrel  - perhaps if they received enough interest, they might.

Does the mag need to be replaced, too?
SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
Jan '67 - Aug '92
NRA Life Member
S&W No.1, 3rd; S&W .38 S/A 2nd; S&W D/A 4th; S&W HE of 1903; Nagant M1895; CZ 52; CZ 82; S&W Mod 15;  Kimber Tactical Ultra II; Taurus PT738; Walther P22; CZ P-06; S&W Mod 19;KAR.98A; Win M1894 38-55; Win M94; Sears Mod 34; H&R 16ga; Win Mod 24

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »
Czechpoint will likely price their barrels as high as the source I found...

And no, the mag is the same.
Mike

Offline Hayfield123

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »
Have a CZ52 7.62x25 which works well with it's native ammunition.
Purchased a 9MM barrel for it since I still have a lot of mm rounds.
With the 9MM it jams, stovepipes, and generally malfunctions.
If I remove the standard 7.62 barrel from the gun and drop a round in, the round slips in and out easily. With the 9MM barrel, the round slips in easily, but fits too tightly to drop back out. I'm a little afraid to hone the barrel. What do ya'll think ?
Thanx
Don't know if this applies to your situation, but I found this at makarov.com: "9x19 Federal Barrel Feeding Problems - as quoted from the Federal conversion instruction sheet

Some CZ-52 pistols converted to 9mm NATO will show feeding problems. This is primarily casued by the fact that the 9mm NATO round is shorter in length than the 7.62x25 Tokarev round. There are 2 areas of concern: magazine feed lips and the way the extractor pushes the live round into the chamber.

Surprisingly the extractor is the main cause of feeding problems. The lower 1/2 of the front end of the extractor actually contacts the round, pushing it into the chamber. By smoothing and rounding the angled surface on the lower 1/2 only, the extractor hook will not disrupt the movement of the round as it jumps around the rim of the cartridge being chambered. To remove the extractor, use a small punch to drive the pivot pin through the slide. This will release both the extractor and its spring. When you reinstall the extractor and its pin and spring, check the firing pin to see if there is free movement by pushing on the rear end against the spring pressure.

Examine the feed lips of the magazine. Look for jagged or bent edges. The metal at the lips is heat treated, so you may not be able to bend them back without weakening them. It may be necessary to have a welder add metal to the leading edges of the feed lips. Excess metal would be removed by a Dremel tool."
SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
Jan '67 - Aug '92
NRA Life Member
S&W No.1, 3rd; S&W .38 S/A 2nd; S&W D/A 4th; S&W HE of 1903; Nagant M1895; CZ 52; CZ 82; S&W Mod 15;  Kimber Tactical Ultra II; Taurus PT738; Walther P22; CZ P-06; S&W Mod 19;KAR.98A; Win M1894 38-55; Win M94; Sears Mod 34; H&R 16ga; Win Mod 24

Offline gandog56

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
Just where in the heck do you FIND a 9mm barrel. I've been looking everywhere.  >:(

Offline valhalla

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
Another thing to remember in converting a '52 to 9mm is that the 7.62 round has higher pressure than standard 9mm.  If you have replaced your recoil spring with a new Wolf spring that has a higher rating,  it MAY be too much for the 9mm for proper recoil and chambering of the next cartridge.   

Offline berdes

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
Thanks for all the help and information.
The result: Decided to purchase a complete slide assembly to fit-up the 9MM barrel so I could work with it, and have an easy back and forth conversion.
Ended up buying a complete gun which I proceeded to fit out with the 9MM barrel, Harrington firing pin, extractor, and nice set of new "ergonomic" grips.   :)  Went to the range finally today to try it out :D. SUCCESS!!!!!!! ;D
Now I have one complete 9MM AND one complete  7.62 X 25, and I can actually hit the target  without throwing them at it !  ;D YEE-HA !!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline Hayfield123

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »
Thanks for all the help and information.
The result: Decided to purchase a complete slide assembly to fit-up the 9MM barrel so I could work with it, and have an easy back and forth conversion.
Ended up buying a complete gun which I proceeded to fit out with the 9MM barrel, Harrington firing pin, extractor, and nice set of new "ergonomic" grips.   :)  Went to the range finally today to try it out :D. SUCCESS!!!!!!! ;D
Now I have one complete 9MM AND one complete  7.62 X 25, and I can actually hit the target  without throwing them at it !  ;D YEE-HA !!!!!!!!!  ;D
OK . . . I am, officially, jealous!  O0
SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
Jan '67 - Aug '92
NRA Life Member

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »
I'm most jealous.

I'm also happy you got it working.
Mike

anything