Author Topic: Smoothing the Action  (Read 112206 times)

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoothing the Action
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
What I do is take a q-tip and cut in half, pull off the cotton on each end, stick in a dremel on low speed and use the stem. I use Flitz  and Mothers Wheel and Mag Polish. Be careful to leave yourself enough of the stem sticking out. You don't want the end of the dremel to come in contact with your trigger bar. After doing that several times, I will, again, cut a q-tip in half and clean up the areas with the q-tips. This works great for me. Not sure if anyone here on the forum does this same thing or not.

Very interesting! I may have to try that one!

Thanx for posting!  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Bullcityrising

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »
What I do is take a q-tip and cut in half, pull off the cotton on each end, stick in a dremel on low speed and use the stem. I use Flitz  and Mothers Wheel and Mag Polish. Be careful to leave yourself enough of the stem sticking out. You don't want the end of the dremel to come in contact with your trigger bar. After doing that several times, I will, again, cut a q-tip in half and clean up the areas with the q-tips. This works great for me. Not sure if anyone here on the forum does this same thing or not.

rich63

THAT'S SMART!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline milq

• Steel on target
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2017, 10:43:23 PM »
Hobby stores usually carry some q-tip like products that are more densely packed and come in a variety of pointed, rounded, etc. styles. I picked up some from Hobby Lobby and if you're gentle you can cut the stick in half and use them in a dremel.
NRA Basic Pistol Instuctor, IL FCCA Instructor.

http://jc-steelontarget.blogspot.com/ and check out www.illinoiscarry.com to learn more about CCW in IL.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
for future use
........Its that you shoot!

Offline Stopsign32v

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »
And the pictures are gone  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline s0nspark

• Talk is cheap!
Smoothing the Action
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »

This is why I switched to using other hosting services for uploaded images.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:50:26 PM by s0nspark »
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2017, 09:29:33 PM »
I have decided to start a thread that details key areas of the CZ action that benefit from smoothing.  The gun in this thread is a CZ Custom Shop SP-01.  It has the comp hammer, tactical sights, 13# hammer spring, and the hammer strut has been contoured and ploished.  I could not test the DA before since my electronic scale only goes to 12#'s and this pistol was off my scale.  Anyway, here's a before pic of the trigger bar:

This is an after pic of the same trigger bar.  The DA disconnector contract area on this trigger bar is the worst I have ever seen.  The tooling used to cut it was worn out.  However, it can still deliver good performance with careful prep and polish.  I use 3M aluminum oxide paper in 400-800-1000 increments, followed by a super fine polishing compound done with a felt wheel mounted on a dremel.  I should be able to see my finger prints in the polished areas of the trigger bar once done, in essence, it's a mirror finish.  I'll work through the action and post pics as I go.

Photobucket fix/reboot of images.
Images can be "repaired" if somebody with access is willing edit original posts.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »
Stuart,

Is absolutely correct.  If there are deep tool marks, do not attempt to remove them, since it's the smoothness of the area that matters, not the appearance.  This trigger bar has really bad tool marks on the disconnector contact face, so it will get smoothed only, the tool marks will remain.  Here's a pic of just how crude this bar is, but I am finished with this area:

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
Here's the trigger bar and disconnector as they look when installed in the pistol.  I estimate 85%+ of the friction in DA is right here, so taking extra time to smooth and polish in these areas will deliver great dividends.   The goal is to remove as little metal as possible and still acheive a a mirror finish.  Also, nothing beats the actual wearing in of the action, so I consider this as the foundation for an even smoother action in a short time frame.

I have also been testing a very high content moly grease that can actually lower the DA pull a few ounces by itself, so I add the moly in these critical areas when I do a final reassembly.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2017, 09:33:07 PM »
It's really simple, here it is.  It works well on the rear of the trigger bar that contacts the sear trigger pad and the FPB lifter pad.  The top pic is how it looks ready to use, the bottom is how it looks when purchased new.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »
Finally have a little free time to get this finished.  Here is an area of major importance, the sear and hammer.  Note in the first pic a stock CZ sear.  I have seen these vary from not to good, to a miniature wash board. 

Next pic is the hammer area that rubs against the underside of the sear.  If the hammer is rough (and it is most of the time) combined with a "wash board" sear, means a really gritty feel when cocking the hammer.

Last pic is the sear underside after polishing along with the hammer contact area.  Done right, you now have a butter smooth cocking feel.  Next post will deal with the firing pin lifter arm, firing pin block plunger, and the hammer strut.  All CZ's that come to my shop for action work have this performed.  The difference, before and after, is dramatic.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2017, 09:36:07 PM »
Firing pin lifter arm (in the sear cage), firing pin block plunger (in the slide), and the sear cage pin.  Note I did not remove all the tool marks on the lifter arm.  Removing to much can reduce how high the plunger is raised, which can cause mis-fires, so be careful here.  Also the plunger needs to be mirror polished.  Also, installing a light plunger spring, which I offer, literally takes the "feel" of the entire lifter and plunger away.  The real resistance once these steps are taken is the trigger return spring.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
If you want to really knock it out of the park, add these to the action job.  The first is the hammer strut.  Note the lower area is the main place you want to concentrate on, but obviously don't omit the upper hammer pin-strut hole and sides.

The rear of the slide is generally overlooked.  The area of the slide that contacts the face of the hammer can be sharp, rough, uneven, or all of these.  True it, bevel, and polish. 

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »

Fixed it.....
Because I wanted to see the pics!!!

Offline Vernonion

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2017, 12:56:38 AM »

Fixed it.....
Because I wanted to see the pics!!!