Author Topic: Witness 10mm  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Bret

Re: Witness 10mm
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »
I am also a fan of Kimber, Sig, Star, Dan Wesson (love the Dans), Ruger all but there auto pistols, HK to name a few.
It's funny that you should mention Kimber, Star, and H&K.  I've has a pistol from each that had to be sent back for repair.  The Kimber was a Carry Pro II in 9mm, the Star was an M40, and the H&K was a USP 40.  The Kimber was sent back twice and the Star & H&K were both sent back three times.  Kimber never did fix their pistol to make it reliable, but I was able to do so with the help of friends on the 1911forum.  The Star had some sort of problem with soft metal, so they eventually sent me a replacement pistol.  H&K did manage to make my USP reliable again.  They also upgraded the mag release, recoil spring, and gave me two free magazines, all for free.  Kimber paid the shipping both ways which was nice.  I paid for the Star shipping, but it was back when you could ship a pistol via ground service.  I'm not 100% sure about the H&K, but I think I paid shipping some and they paid some.  I don't consider Kimber's to be high reliability pistols, but the H&K just goes to show you that all manufacturers can have trouble from time to time.  It's how they handle it that makes the difference.  EAA does have a lifetime warranty, but the fact that individuals have to pay for shipping can be an expensive proposition, especially if it doesn't get fixed right the first time.  The fact that the lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner is lame in my opinion.  It certainly hasn't stopped me from buying EAA's, but it kind of leads me to believe that they're not 100% behind making their products right to their customers.  It's also short sighted in my opinion because it can leave unreliable pistols in the market place which damages their reputation.  Regardless, I'm kind of the hard headed type.  A gun is going to work reliably or I'm going to keep sending it back until they make it reliable or send a replacement.  I just can't stand the thought of selling off an unreliable gun on someone else just to have them go through the same frustrations.  I've had a Star M40, FEG SMC-918, Walther P99, Arsenal SLR-106CR, and an Arsenal SLR-106UR all replaced under warranty.  EAA did repair the bedding of a Serbian 7.62x39 bolt action (Remington branded) rifle that they imported.  They did a great job.  The bottom line for me is that I don't mess around with warranties.  I use them.  I've never sold off an unreliable gun and I won't ever do it.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
Bret thank you for your post.  I too had a problem with a Kimber CDP 4".  The rounds were bumping the slide stop and locking the slide back.  If there is a company out there that is making a perfect gun, I don't know who they are.  Why people go postal when someone states that a Witness is a great gun for the money is beyond me.  As you say if the gun needs fixing, fix it and move on. Don't make it you life's work to trash the gun that others enjoy shooting.  Well that's my thoughts, your mileage my very.  R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
Bret thank you for your post.  I too had a problem with a Kimber CDP 4".  The rounds were bumping the slide stop and locking the slide back.  If there is a company out there that is making a perfect gun, I don't know who they are.  Why people go postal when someone states that a Witness is a great gun for the money is beyond me.  As you say if the gun needs fixing, fix it and move on. Don't make it you life's work to trash the gun that others enjoy shooting.  Well that's my thoughts, your mileage my very.  R S

Thanks Rod Slinger. If there was one perfect gun, we'd all have it. They are machines, built by human hands. They break, and they malfunction. It amazes me how often they don't do either. That being said, it is telling, when someone absolutely must convince us all that they had a bad time with a weapon, so we must also.
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams

Offline Midnight_Express

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2012, 04:20:06 AM »
it is telling, when someone absolutely must convince us all that they had a bad time with a weapon, so we must also.
no one?s saying or even suggesting you've "had a bad time" with anything. the problem is those who've been unfortunate with our witness get verbal abuse or the attitude seen here by witness fans if we mention the problems we've had. anytime the cracks are brought up some of you start in with the sarcastic little quips (?it is telling ? few but dedicated, ?postal? etc.), insults, accusations and insinuations as if we?re lying and/or are part of some conspiracy against this weapon.

I posted my experience so that anyone who may be looking into a witness has the information some of you seem to forget. knowing there?s a chance, however slight, they may be in for the same trouble some of us have been through might influence their decision. what's really "telling" is the fact none of you diehards ever mention the problem until someone who's been there brings it up. I think those thinking of buying deserve to know the truth, not just your version of the truth.

you fans don?t have a problem complaining about or trashing other brands of firearms, but seem to be in denial with a particular witness issue. you guys are way too defensive when the cracked slides come up and you seemingly have no respect for those that have had a problem. you talk as if we?re second class citizens who have no right to speak of the problem, or as if we?re making this up as we go. (neither of which are true of course) you really shouldn?t take it so personally, it has nothing to do with you.

had I been aware of the witness issues before I made the purchase described earlier, things would have been different. I might have chosen a different model witness, maybe taken the chance on a reduced price used witness or I may have bought something else entirely. it would have been nice to have that information to help make a more informed decision from the start. Instead, thanks in part to some die hard witness fans omitting that fact and my infrequent internet use at the time, I wasted several hundred dollars on a defective handgun, some accessories and the shipping back to the importer for the repair. then I had the pleasure of dealing with eaa.

I?m not trying to ?convince? you or anyone else of anything, the experience posted earlier was just a factual account of the problem I had. you?re under no obligation to believe it, just as I?m not obligated to believe anything you post. the big difference is I?m not using the insulting remarks, personal attacks or sarcasm to browbeat others into conforming to my point of view. all of which makes some of the previous claims/posts suspect and their authors no longer concern me.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
In the immortal words of Charlie Brown. "Good Grief ".    Midnight_Express  the only personal attacks I am aware of is the one you launched  against me for my few but decimated remarked.  Which I apologized for.  You take a shot at me an now you are the victim because you had to pay for the bullet?    Why don't we back up and take a look at what is important and it is not this.  The patch you have chosen leads no where and helps no one.   R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »
That will be quite enough!  >:(

Locked!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"