Author Topic: Accurate No.7 - Berry's 124gr HBFP - How did I get here?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Cheesewhiz

Accurate No.7 - Berry's 124gr HBFP - How did I get here?
« on: November 22, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
I reload.
I don't write about it much but I do reload.
 I came up with a good load for Berry's 115 gr RN some time back, it's boring and not sexy but soft shooting and accurate.
4.2 gr Win 231, 1.135" OAL, Remington primer No.1 1/2 (my favorite primers)
Not making a PF round, just a fun target range one, barely gets to 1000 FPS.

I recently bought some 147 gr FN lead (SNS Casting) and called them on their pet load for it. They called out Accurate No.7, 5.6-5.7 gr, "load it as long as you can".

Well I didn't have any Accurate powder No.anything so I played with this bullet with other powders I had on hand, none worked very well. The ones that shot fairly accurately, smoked like a black powder rifle. I pushed it a little hard with one pretty accurate powder, trying to cut the smoke and ended up with more smoke and an extremely leaded barrel.

(Anyone needs to know how to clean a cave barrel, give me a call)

At the same time I picked up some Berry's 124gr HBFN at a good price.

I tried a lower load of a 124 gr FMJ load that works pretty well for me, it shot almost well enough but I was pushing it hard even at a lower charge weight and this stuff doesn't do well at real low weights (Power Pistol).

I decided to pick up some Accurate No.7 for that lead 147 gr bullet, I'm pig headed but I do listen and loaded it as directed by the guys at SNS. It worked great, very well, no smoke, clean burn, soft shooting and very accurate.

I was looking at Accurate's load data and saw they had quite a few loads for Berry's Bullets listed. I worked up some testers with the newly aquired No.7 for the range of my Berry's 124 gr HBFP, all went very well with my testers.

I loaded more of them up and headed for the range with great results again, I began wondering why I don't see much about Accurate powders on the gun forums after all of this. I really don't know why, seems like pretty good stuff to me.

Here's my load for the Berry 124 gr HBFN:

6.4 gr Accurate No.7
Speer once and twice fired cases
Remington and Winchester primers
1.065 OAL (the bullet bottoms the rifling at 1.080")
.376 taper crimp

Top: 115 gr Berry RN
Mid: 147 gr SNS LFN
Btm:124 gr Berry HBFP

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:05:10 PM by Cheesewhiz »
"It flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of Vit in the morning !
Re: Accurate No.7 - Berry's 124gr HBFP - How did I get here?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
Whiz Kid -

The problem with Accurate Powders is that....

► #2, #5 and #7 are so stinkin' fine that they leak out of a lot of powder measures, especially Lee.

► Your loads will tend to use 50% more powder than the equivalent Winchester powder. (But on the other hand they exhibit great "case fill".)

Other than that they are great powders. I've recently had fabulous results with #7 in 38 Super.

;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:51:12 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Offline Berrys MFG

• Berry's Manufacturing
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »
I asked Cheesewhiz to tell the forum on what he found, it took a couple of trial and error loads to find what worked well.  When he contacted me I told him that Accurate does not come up much in regards to data for our bullets even though they are the only powder company that has printed data as of yet.  Thanks for sharing with us.
Jay R. Phillips
www.berrysmfg.com

Offline Cheesewhiz

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »
The problem with Accurate Powders is that....

► #2, #5 and #7 are so stinkin' fine that they leak out of a lot of powder measures, especially Lee.

► Your loads will tend to use 50% more powder than the equivalent Winchester powder. (But on the other hand they exhibit great "case fill".)

Other than that they are great powders. I've recently had fabulous results with #7 in 38 Super.

;)

I talked to my reload guru and he did say that #2 was really fine. I know that #7 is finer than my usual powders. I test by punching a primer out of a case, adding powder and see how fast the powder flows out of the case.

I haven't had a problem with it leaking in my powder measure, I have a Hornady AP LNL w/ the case activated powder drop. No leaks with the #7 and the powder indexes and flows really nice.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
I've been using AA#7 for 9mm for years, that is my go to powder. #5 will work, that one is good for 9mm and 38 Special, but #7 works very well for me, love it. No leakage from my Uniflow, either.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »
I've been playing with AA#5.  It shoots good,  It is REALLY dense, so it can drop almost 15grs in a 9mm case--not good.  My load was about 5.2 with the Berry's 130rn.
Lastly, #5 leaks like "0" weight oil out of an OLD Harley flat-head engine.  With 50+/-  rds loaded, I needed to clean my press,  load bench,  the coffee lid I use to hold cases, the lid I use to hold bullets and the spent primer container that catches my primers and the floor.---powder was everywhere!  :o;D 

My LEE pro powder disc doesn't leak  enough 231 to notice any after only 50 rds loaded. 

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »
When he contacted me I told him that Accurate does not come up much in regards to data for our bullets even though they are the only powder company that has printed data as of yet.

I was just on the Accurate web site tonight looking for 38 Super info. There was none for the 130gr Berry. Then I cracked open an older Accurate load guide (v3.2) which had a ton of Berry info, including the 130gr bullet. Apparently, they are re-working their load data and haven't made it through the entire range.

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »
I talked to my reload guru and he did say that #2 was really fine. I know that #7 is finer than my usual powders. I test by punching a primer out of a case, adding powder and see how fast the powder flows out of the case.

I haven't had a problem with it leaking in my powder measure, I have a Hornady AP LNL w/ the case activated powder drop. No leaks with the #7 and the powder indexes and flows really nice.

Whiz Kid -

You're right. The rotary drum type powder measures would not have an issue with fine grain powder.

Funny you mentioned the powder through the primer hole. Every once in awhile I forget to seat a primer and a small trail of No7 or 231 is left around the shell plate and I know exactly what's going on. Tonight I was stacking reloads into my plastic case and there was one with no primer. I glanced over at the machine and there was no trail. I shook the case and no powder came out. Then it suddenly struck me. Unique is too large to come out that way!

:D

Offline Cheesewhiz

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 07:27:01 AM »
Unique is too large to come out that way!

:D

My friend Terry (the guru) reloads just about everything with Unique, dabbles in Titegroup and HS-6 and a couple of Dots.

...but his go to on just about anything starting out at least is Unique. Everytime I bring up a different powder to try, I get the look of disgust. I won't get too deep into some of his methods for measuring his loads, on cowboy rounds it involves spoons with lead melted into them to change the volume. Sounds scary even to me but when you only use one powder that way it works but you better know what you are doing. He does proof weigh these loads and may use a trickler to top them, old school for sure.
Unique doesn't index all that well for me in my drop and I like to work with different powders, it makes it fun.
I do like the Accurate No.7 and will be using it on the Berry's HB bullets from now on, maybe it works well with a deep seated bullet.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:32:35 AM by Cheesewhiz »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 08:36:29 AM »
Wobbly, do NOT use the older info - they are reformulating all data due to new testing methods, and the new data is the appropriate stuff. For instance, the older data listed 8.8 grains of #7 as a max load for 115 gr JHP in 9mm, and the new one is over a full grain lighter. The old load was hard kicking and left flattened primers, but I never worried about it, figured it was in spec. Nope, it was +P+...
Alternatively, if you do use the old data, start weak and go carefully.

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 09:37:48 AM »
Mr A -
As always, thanks for the timely, friendly and helpful advice. I'm aware of the on-going Accurate Powder load re-calculations, but others here may not be. I was indeed very careful to compare the loads from v3.2 to v3.5, adjust accordingly, and start very low just to make sure.

We'll see. My son is due here within hours and we're off to shoot every one of them! The wife said we can't make another son, so I had better take care of this one!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:26:45 PM by Wobbly »

Offline painter

• Frosty's Finishes
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
Cheezwhiz...

Do you have a bullet length for the 124gr HBFP.

I'd like to try the No 7 for the HBRN.

I have some Unique, but I don't like the way it meters.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Cheesewhiz

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »
Painter, I haven't picked up any Berry's HBRN yet. I will get some at some point.

After some recent searches, I see that Arm'd Man did indeed talk up Accurate powders quite a bit on this forum.

...and Mr. Woobly does set his lengths like I was taught, bullet in a fired case, shoved in a barrel, measured and subtract .015", my lessons were .010 - .020 depending on caliber, I ended up splitting the distance for everything. You can set that now pushed in bullet to that calculated length and if your dummy round spins in the chamber, you should be good to go with that length.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 08:54:11 PM »
oops

A good time to join Wobbly with the "Happy Thanksgivings" to all.

P.S. Berry's is having a "Black Friday" SALE with some good 9mm prices.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:03:36 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »
Cheezwhiz...

Do you have a bullet length for the 124gr HBFP.

I'd like to try the No 7 for the HBRN.

I have some Unique, but I don't like the way it meters.

Painter -

Use the exact same stats as you would for the 124gr RN. Yes, the Hollow Base is longer, but there is a central void which is equal in volume to the material added to the sides. If it were not so, then they both couldn't weigh the same. So whatever stats you've worked out for the 124gr RN apply.

Accurate Powder v3.5 says 6.7 to 7.6gr of No7 at 1.160" for the Berry 124gr RN. I've been using 1.140", so you may wish to let up a wee tad. Still start at 6.7gr, just don't go quite as high.

;)