Author Topic: Took the boy out again!  (Read 4434 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Took the boy out again!
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
Ricky has been asking for a red dot, (on a bolt action rifle?), for his CZ 452 Scout, so I finally broke down and bought a Tasco red dot made for air guns and 22lr. It mounted up easy enough, and sight in was fast. Of course, that meant going to the range...on a weekend...gah.
The range was as crowded as I thought, being a Sunday, but I hadn't gotten my boy out in some time, so we went. Actually got a 25 yard pistol bay to ourselves...for about 10 minutes. A very nice elderly gent asked to shoot next to us, and proceeded to let fly with about 3 mags full from a Ruger LCP 9. Nice groupings. He then left, and I got his nickled brass. Yes, I asked! ::) Then Ricky got down to work with his CZ 452 Scout, and had grand fun shooting at 20 yards with it. Please note his Christmas present, a 10 round extended magazine. ;)

As you can see, Barney is dead...again...

He still has some difficulty with the bolt closing, but the rifle hasn't really been broken in yet, but with more time to go shooting, we'll change that soon!

I did fire a few rounds from the Phantom, checking on a new possible carry round. The Remington brass jacketed Golden Sabre 124 grain +P had some stiff recoil in the poly frame Phantom, or maybe that's just because I got used to my own reloads. In any case, it seems to be a serviceable load.

Also had time to run some more of Berry's new 115 grain HBRN-TP through the Phantom with the expected good results. Yes, the handloads shot better than the factory, as usual. :D

After the nice elderly gent left, the Bakers showed up with the niftiest matching Smith M&P 15-22s, hers with the pink tiger stripe camo. The wind started gusting harder, and their PVP stands and my metal base stand all fell over repeatedly. Time to go. Nice people - isn't it amazing how many neat people you meet on a range as opposed to so many other places?

Didn't shoot that much, but the smiles made it all worth it. 8)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:32:12 PM by armoredman »

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: Took the boy out again!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
Looks like it was a great day for both of you
Right-handed bolts and Left-handed shooters are a tough road to ride
It?s hard to break the shot, then move your off hand to run the action, tight (not cross) body?.THEN reacquire your target?.Not easy, I don?t care who you are
Has he tried to run the bolt Left-handed across the action ?
I know it?s a bit awkward, if you?re not use to doing it Left-handed
Looks like he?s doing a fine job though
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:23:43 PM »
Glad you and your son had a nice time at the Range!   :)

Barney Targets can be fun!

I've chronographed the Remington 124 grn +P Gold Sabre at 1180 to 1200 fps.  Very decent energy.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:26:59 PM »
I just got a brand new chrono, didn't take it out as I was using the camera tripod for the camera. :) I will next time, have a few left after loading up the Phantom magazines. Wow, that was a lot of ammo.

Offline redlineman

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
looks like great fun

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »
My son will be 40 in Sept.
We still get to go the range and shoot together.  It's 'still' a lot of fun (I believe) for both of us.
He's trying to help me improve my shooting now, and we still get the big smiles just like Ricky.
Family and shooting are good together.

Let us know how how your SD rds chrono, I want to compare your bullet speed with my SD Gold Dot reloads.  My 75B should get close to the same bbl/results.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
I did put a few downrange last month, and what I got was,

Remington 124 grain Golden Saber, 1179.3 FPS.
Remington 115 grain JHP, the cheap stuff, 1142.9 FPS
and
Federal Hydra Shok 135 grain non +P, 1065.1 FPS.

I didn't fire many of the high dollar ones - too expensive. By way of comparison, my handload Remington JHP average 1131 FPS, not bad.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »
Was that G.S @1179 FPS their +P rd??  I've been looking for a +P comparison load.

I'm loaded at 1200FPS (this is max-max. for me) with the 124 G.D, using Vit n340 in  my 3.6" bbl Sig 239.
1150-ish is more 'comfortable to shoot' in this pistol.

The GDs cost about 22 cents each plus my powder & primer costs--- 26/27 cents ea?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:13:18 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Socalmedix

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 12:46:09 AM »
Regarding the bolt release, check these out,  recommend it 110%... Such an awesome addition to make shooting more fun

https://www.volquartsen.com/pictures/39-1022-silver-auto-bolt-release

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
1SOW, yes, that's the +P load.
Socalmedix...that's for a Ruger 10/22. :)

Offline Socalmedix

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't see the pic on my iPhone, now I see it's not a 10/22 in the pic.. As he uses it the bolt should become asker for him...

Offline johnnyrees

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Nice post Armor,nice pics as usual.....you seem to be in the wrong profesion mate ;)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
I thought that too, tried doing photo a bit more professionally, only thing I got was paid in pizza for one shoot. :)

Offline johnnyrees

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
You'd have thought cz would have picked up on some of your pics

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »
They have some posted in the office, or so I've heard. :)