Author Topic: My Mossad 9MM and Mag question  (Read 12130 times)

Offline Mossad4Yah

My Mossad 9MM and Mag question
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
I recently purchased a Mossad 9mm off of gun broker and it is in superb condition.  It came with one magazine from EAA: EA9M -- 16RDS -- SKU 101900

Is this the only mag that will fit?  They are out of stock at Midway and I cant tell what is going on at Numrich

part# 1248060 -- I dont even know if this is the same one or not

or

EAA Witness Tanfoglio 16 round Mec-Gar MGGT2116B

My question is what else will fit and where to get them.  I am sure some of the experts can throw me a quick answer to get me started.  Ill post some pics later
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:26:15 PM by Mossad4Yah »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: My Mossad 9MM and Mag question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »
Not so good with the Part Numbers, but assuming your Tangoglio Mossad is a Series 88 TA90, as all that I have seen are, EAA Witness Small Frame 15/16 round Magazines will work.

My Series 88 TA90's use Small Frame Witness Magazines.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Mossad4Yah

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »
Not so good with the Part Numbers, but assuming your Tangoglio Mossad is a Series 88 TA90, as all that I have seen are, EAA Witness Small Frame 15/16 round Magazines will work.

My Series 88 TA90's use Small Frame Witness Magazines.

Here is the link       http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=1248060

how do i tell what series it is?  I know that the EA9M 101900 16rd works cuz that is what all of them come with, but is yours the compact or large frame?  Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:48:00 AM by Mossad4Yah »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »
The Mec-Gar MGGT2116B IS the Magazine you want, which will fit all Series 88 and later Tanfoglio and Tanfoglio Design Based handguns.  Here's a better deal:  http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97_134&products_id=595

My Full Size and Compact Series 88 TA90 Pistols use the Series 88 design small 9mm/.40 frame.  A pic of your Pistol would be helpful in determining exactly which stage of Series 88 Design production you have.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Mossad4Yah

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
jwc007 -- Thanks for the info, how do you post pics other that like photobucket and such.  Can you attach files or does it have to be a url link i see this  ( [IMG] ) but how do you use it?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
jwc007 -- Thanks for the info, how do you post pics other that like photobucket and such.  Can you attach files or does it have to be a url link i see this  ( [IMG] ) but how do you use it?

Upload your pic to a host site such as Photobucket or Hunt101.com.  The host site will then give you a link which either comes already braketed or you can put these brackets in yourself.  Copy (ctrl+c) your link and you're set to paste (ctrl+v).

example - minus spaces [ img ] url-link [ /img ]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:17:39 PM by jwc007 »

Offline Mossad4Yah

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
Pics taken before cleaning and polishing blemishes----> Will take after shots

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:21:38 AM »
Very very nice!!!  8)  8)  Enjoy!!!  :)

Yours is a full Series 88 Tanfoglio TA90 made during the Witness Production.  You can E-Mail Tanfoglio with the serial number and get an exact date of production and shipping.

Also, your Witness Pictured above is exactly the same as my Wonder Finished .45 Witness, a 2004 model.

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »
I must argee with 007 those are very nice.  If Tanfoglio guns ever become collectors guns yours should be at the top of the must have guns.  R S
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mossad4Yah

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »
007 -- can you tell me how to remove the rear sight so i can clean around it better, or direct me to where i can find instructions.  Do i have to punch a pin out or what, its the adjustable type with the screw and double springs.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:33:54 AM »
I don't recommend Rear Sight removal........at all!

They are usually in the Slide Dovetail so tight that it tales a Hydraulic Press to move, remove, and re-install them, but you might get lucky.

However, if you must try to remove them, I recommend:

1) remove the grips so the right side of the Pistol lays flat on a clean flat surface.
2) put a piece of expendable leather over the side of the Rear Sight
3) using a Hammer and a large size blunt punch or brass rod (roughtly .38 Caliber end), drive the Rear Sight from the Dovetail, left side to right side.

I have a design for a Fiber Optic Ghost Ring Rear Sight that I would like to try, but my Tanfoglio Pistols are last on the list to get it, for the aforementioned reasons.

Offline Mossad4Yah

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:43 AM »
Wow! I knew that thing was on there good!  Thanks for the help. Ive got another question, it seems easier just to ask rather than to open up a new thread.  When polishing, how do you remove the "black" build up from polish without removing too much material.  The build-up has congregated into the lower spots and it seems like if I were to keep going in order to smooth it out enough to get to it -- I would eventually end up seeing my reflection like crystal.  Ive sanded with oil as a friction reducer but that just made me need to do all of the top portion of the slide in order to match. 

To make a long story short -- I started off by hand and everything looked great except for a few spots.  So i thought well i think it is time to break out the dremel on these cranky spots.  Well, it just seems to darken the spots with the build up.  I used the CRC and rubbed trying to break it down and then decided sanding would help.  It did help some but like i said it is seeming like I will have to take it all the way down to get it out.  Will take a pic later if needed

you cant see it in the photo -- i polished the top and bottom front of the slide to almost mirror and polished out the scratches on the side of slide.  Left frame brushed for a 3 tone look

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:26:02 PM by Mossad4Yah »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:03:17 PM »
You did what????:o  ???

The silvery finish that was typical back when your Pistol was made was Matte Industrial Hard Chrome.  You may have thought you were polishing Matte Stainless Steel, but I seriously doubt that is the case.  Now there were a limited number of Stainless Witnesses made during the very early 1990's, but I seriously doubt that your Pistol is Stainless.

IF your Pistol is not Stainless and IF all of the Matte Hard Chrome Finish has been removed, you might as well get it Nickeled or Blued, IF you want a shiny Pistol.  Collector Value..............gone!

When Polishing, I've never had a problem with any Black Build-up, but you might try Charcoal Lighter Fluid and see if that will take it off.

This reminds me of how I got my original Canadian Import Pre-B CZ75.  Guy comes into the Gun Shop I worked in with several Rifles, Shotguns, and one Handgun.  Guy had come back from a long fishing trip to find that his Wife had cleaned all of his Firearms for him, removing all of that ugly Black Stuff that was all over them.  :o

To help pay for the Refinishing of the Long Arms, he traded me that Pre-B CZ75 and the rest shall we say is history.  Had to sell it off a few years back and sometimes miss it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:11:43 PM by jwc007 »

Offline Mossad4Yah

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
Im not really worried about collector value -- with the way things are going we got 1year till WROL at best.  I would never sell this gun -- ever!  The black spots were on there before, kinda like build up in the valley's kinda deal.  The gun looks fine though, it is shiny enough -- not mirrored like cheezy or anything.  But you saying removing the top layer is a bad thing or it just lowers the resale value?  Thanks for help
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:54:59 PM by Mossad4Yah »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:20 AM »
  But you saying removing the top layer is a bad thing or it just lowers the resale value?  Thanks for help

Resale value aside, the Industrial Hard Chrome Finish was there to protect the Steel from Rusting.  Assuming that you no longer have any of it left, you need to protect the Steel in the Slide in some manner or form.  This is typically done by Bluing, Plating, or Coating.  If your Slide starts to rust, you'll know that something else needs to be done.

anything