Author Topic: DRS 9mm Ammo  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Sion

DRS 9mm Ammo
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
While I was online searching for some good 9mm ammo deals I came across DRS Ammo. I haven't been able to find much information on them and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this ammo. This is what the ammunitiontogo description says
This is 9mm DRS 115gr. FMJ Ammo. This is excellent quality ammo that is brass cased, boxer primed, non-corrosive and reloadable. DRS is a licensed and insured ammo manufacturer. This is remanufactured ammo loaded in once fired brass. The bullet is a lead core with a solid copper jacket, not plated. Muzzle velocity of 1150fps. This ammo comes packed in 100rd. bags.

I was thinking of buying some due to the low price but wanted to check to see if anyone here has had any bad experiences with this ammo.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/500rds-9mm-drs-115gr-fmj-ammo/cName/9mm-fmj-ammo

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: DRS 9mm Ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
No idea, sorry. I will say the only reloads I will shoot are my own.

Offline Sion

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »
I was able to find out a little bit more on this ammo. Apparently they use once fired LC brass from military bases, hogdon powder, Winchester primers and bullets. I understand the paranoia people have of only using their own reloads but would you trust a reloading company more than John Die reloading in his garage?

If nobody has experience with this ammo I may buy 100 rounds for 20 bucks and write up a review. I've read some good stuff from AR users that use DRS remanufactured ammo.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of Vit in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »
Believe me, this is no John Doe making his kids pull the reloading press lever after school. You have to be Federally licensed to sell reloaded or re-manufactured ammo. So he's been checked out and taxed by the BATF. Just to pay for the license and tax is no small feat. This has to be a fairly sizable operation that is well organized and in it for the long haul just to get setup.

1150 fps is what WWB is loaded at. So it's going to be comparable to that.
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Wobbly, I've met two licensed reloaders/resellers who were one man shops working out of a garage. I have also purchased reloaded ammo from widely recognized stores that turned out to be bad - can you imagine a 38 Special wadcutter bullet seated about 1/10 th on an inch inside a 357 mag case, the case crimped OVER the top of the bullet, and sold as a 38 Spl reload? Found that at Jensens back in the 80s, a company that sold reloads to the US Army rifle team. I've also had 3D remanufactured that was terrible, but not ALL of it was bad, not by a long shot. If Sion would like to post a review, that is an excellent idea, and we appreciate it very much.

Offline Sion

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
I think I'll do that, you can get 500 rounds of it for $97 + shipping so it comes out to around $114 shipped. I haven't been able to find very much information on the 9mm reloads. Most of the info was on 5.56 reloads (once fired brass from military bases I'd assume would have more 5.56 brass than 9mm) but I wouldn't know for sure, I was unable to join the military.

I've read a few mixed reviews on the 5.56 reloads, from flawless performing practice ammo to ammo with dented up casings.

They want 20 + shipping for 100 rounds (shipping is 14 dollars)
97 + shipping for 500 rounds, shipping is only 2 dollars more for 400 more rounds!
I hate shipping costs!

I think I'll bite the shipping bullet and order 100. I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of bad ammo.

I feel pretty positive about shooting them, my CZ has had everything from Tula and Brown Bear to my ex girlfriends reloads and never had an issue.

Anything I should look out for when I get these? I plan to visually inspect each round.

Offline painter

• Frosty's Finishes
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
I'm sure his ammo is fine, but when Wally World sells new Federal for $19.97/100 rounds, why pay extra to have reloaded ammo shipped?

That of course assumes you have a Walmart near you and can stomach the place.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Sion

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »
I've never seen that deal at Wally World, the ammo selection is usually picked apart.

Offline kobus

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:36:08 AM »
quote from Sion "I feel pretty positive about shooting them, my CZ has had everything from Tula and Brown Bear to my ex girlfriends reloads and never had an issue."

how could you allow her to become your EX girlfriend if she was into reloading?  :o

guns don't kill people. NINJAS kill people.

Offline painter

• Frosty's Finishes
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »
I've never seen that deal at Wally World, the ammo selection is usually picked apart.
It's been running, when in stock, for about a month or so.

You need to check often...it sells out fast.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Sion

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »
How could you allow her to become your EX girlfriend if she was into reloading?

Ahaha I've been asking myself that for awhile, unfortunately not my decision.

Maybe I wasn't a good enough shot for her!  ;)

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of Vit in the morning !
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »
A common issue when dating female reloaders is that....

they all seem to be looking for more flair.   ;D
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

anything