Author Topic: The CZ single set trigger  (Read 11072 times)

Offline Aze

The CZ single set trigger
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »
Im getting ready to purchase my first CZ. Its a 527 carbine chambered in 7.63x39 cause i love that round. My question/worry is about the trigger. I like tough things. Is the trigger a tough trigger? Will it last forever? The thing just sounds complicated, the whole push it forward then a feather pull weight. Can anybody put me at ease?
"This is my boom stick!"

Offline painter

Re: The CZ single set trigger
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
Nothing lasts forever.

While it might be more complicated I don't see anything 'delicate' about the trigger.

It seems plenty sturdy, and the regular trigger can be adjusted to be plenty light.

I rarely use the set trigger on my 527FS in .223.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »
     Although I don't have a CZ 527, I have two 550's and a 453. I assure you, the triggers are plenty tough enough. I would suggest you read your owner?s manual on trigger adjustment, pull the barreled action out of the stock, and have a look-see. I also highly recommend the adjustment of the trigger.

If anything, you can remove excess travel, and over travel. If you desire, you can lighten up the trigger too. I do this with all of my CZ rifles, and as a result, I seldom even use the set-trigger, as the standard is where I want it. You may be surprised on how much lighter a trigger feels, when it has been cleaned up a bit.

If you decide to do that, I have only one point to add. Test whatever trigger set-up you like, with the stock reattached (it's not necessary to retighten the stock screws at this point), before you decide on a trigger. For me, it always feels like a "lighter" trigger pull, with the stock reattached.
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams

Offline Aze

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
Ive believed simple is better. Simple is stronger. Like for example a Ruger trigger. They are pretty simple and id believe they are tough. I just didnt know just how much more complicated in terms of mechanics. I just dont wana buy it if the trigger will last half the life the rifle will ya know? I guess i wont know till i know huh? I just dont wana regret my next rifle.
"This is my boom stick!"

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
     I understand completely. I can only speak to my experience, and the CZ trigger has been the least of my concerns. The best of fortune to you.
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
There's an auction for one on gunbroker...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=277651099

see anything not rugged or overly complicated in the picture?
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Aze

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
thanks for the pic
"This is my boom stick!"

Offline akefarm

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 04:58:15 AM »
I have the CZ 527 Carbine 7.62 x 39. I wish all my rifles had this set trigger ( i own 15 rifles ). I have never had a rifle with a set trigger before. Next rifle i buy will have this trigger. Group is Hornady Steel Case SST

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:05:06 PM »
Mine works like a charm, love it. I don't abuse my firearms if I can avoid it, so I'd have to assume it's as tough as anything else CZ makes. ;)

Offline steveo452

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
I'm with akefarm I wish all mine did to.
CZ 527 carbine (7.62x39)
CZ 452 American .22lr.
CZ 452 American .17HMR

Offline cpt-t

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »
We have a CZ 527 762x39 carbine that just shoots like a house a fire. And the single set trigger is just great . My Son and I have never had a problem with any of our rifles with this trigger. Or for that matter any CZ rifle period, we think they are the best rifles we have ever bought.  The little CZ 527 762x39 has become my favorite rifle for just going out walking around looking at a new hunting place that I have never been befor. And our likes Wolf Brand 123 gr HP`S, and like I said it shoots them very well. It is a great rifle. GOOD LUCK TO YOU:   ken
THE PRICE OF FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.

Offline andrewhyatt89

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
Ever since I shot a reproduction Hawking muzzle loader with a double set trigger (2 triggers :o) I have been in love with the set trigger idea. Gives me more safety lee way when loping through the woods or bringing it up quickly at a surprise opportunity and even greater precision when I need it or have the opportunity to take more time on a shot.  I shot D1 air rifle at my university for 3 years till the funds were cut, so I can appreciate a very light trigger on a precision shot, as well as a more "field ready" trigger pull.

Offline truckjohn

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
If you don't like the idea of a single set trigger... then don't buy one....

There are plenty of rifles with super "simple" trigger mechanisms....  Some are super duper reliable... Some aren't...   Since you mentioned Ruger... Personally, I HATE "Stock" Ruger triggers on their bolt guns.... Long, creepy, gritty, spongy, and heavy... and that's not my preference in a good hunting rifle... I want a nice, safe, crisp trigger break in the 3 - 4 lb range.  I have replaced my Ruger triggers with Jard triggers and am very happy afterwards....

Now... On my CZ453 22lr - I have fired over 2,000 rounds through it... All of them except probably 50 were fired from the "Set" position... and I have NEVER had an issue with it yet...  and yet, even after 2,000 rounds - that CZ trigger still breaks like glass without any mush, creep, or grit.... both in "Set" mode, and in "Standard" mode....

In the end, it's your call...

Thanks

Offline John E Davies

• John Davies Home Page
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
I had a 527 Varmint .223 and loved the single set trigger .....  after I fixed it!

The one on my 453 was simple to adjust down, but for some reason the 527 trigger wouldn't adjust below 4 lbs unset and 2 lbs set - the screw ran out of adjustment. I ended up installing a lighter spring and ended up with a delightful 2 lbs unset/ 10 oz set. Woohoo! What a joy shooting off the bench.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Offline Striper Sniper

• Have fun, Be Prepared, Stay Safe.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
Altlthough i'm still working on accuracy with my 527 lux, i really like the set trigger. Way nicer than rugers triggers and seems plenty durable.