Author Topic: Threads on Century VZ2008 Muzzle Brake  (Read 14735 times)

Offline Law of Thirds

Threads on Century VZ2008 Muzzle Brake
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:10:15 AM »
Does anyone know the thread pattern Century used on the slant muzzle brake? I've been told 2 different things (with a couple muzzle brakes/flash hiders that don't work to show for it) and nobody seems to know. I'd really like to get this slanted abomination off my VZ2008, it doesn't belong there.

In the same vein, can you swap the selector from a century to a Czechpoint one? I'm lefty (so all the controls are perfect for me, except that) so I'd love to have a push forward for fire selector, but I'm not quite to the point of getting another VZ 58 (it will happen, these things are addictive).

Offline Explorer

Re: Threads on Century VZ2008 Muzzle Brake
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »
Hello Law of the Thirds and welcome.

The thread pattern for the Century is:  14x1 right hand.  I have a new NEA Heavy muzzle break but haven't had time to get a die to use on it before putting it on. 

Here is what ObiWanBonJovi said "many of the century barrels are threaded oversized.  It is very likely you will need to run a die over it to accept anything but the slant that comes with it.  Usually you can work a brake on with lube and a lot of going back and forth, but sometimes you have to cut the threads a bit deeper to get them on. it is threaded 14x1rh but as I said, they seem to be over on the minor diameter.  you can get a die here cheap if you need it."

http://www.cncwarrior.com/shop/23295-m14-x-1-rh-die/

I don't know about the selector but they are additive.

Offline ObiWanBonJovi

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »
you can swap selectors to get forward=fire.  or you can add another slot to your selector and acheive the same result.

Offline Norman

• Kansas
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:01:42 AM »
Hello Law of the Thirds and welcome.

The thread pattern for the Century is:  14x1 right hand.  I have a new NEA Heavy muzzle break but haven't had time to get a die to use on it before putting it on. 

Here is what ObiWanBonJovi said "many of the century barrels are threaded oversized.  It is very likely you will need to run a die over it to accept anything but the slant that comes with it.  Usually you can work a brake on with lube and a lot of going back and forth, but sometimes you have to cut the threads a bit deeper to get them on. it is threaded 14x1rh but as I said, they seem to be over on the minor diameter.  you can get a die here cheap if you need it."

I bought the die from cncwarrior and let me tell you it works.  Thank you obiwan (may the force be with ya) I didnt have the holder for the die but I screwed it down (wear welding or thick heavy gloves if you do it this way) and the flash hider went on.  Took a couple of times but it goes on like butter now.  I also got the die starter and it made it easy to get started.  Now I have a die I dont need unless I get another CIA VZ 2008.  Hummm.......... ;D
CZ-82 and any pistol shooting 9x18 and also love the 7.62x25.

Offline Rowe-75

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
I had to work my crusader break onto the vz58. Quarter turn tight, then work it back. Repeated til it was all the way down the threads and it goes on and off like butter now.
75b 9mm Para
2075 Rami .40
P06 .40
VZ2008 7.62x39

Offline Explorer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »
I had to work my crusader break onto the vz58. Quarter turn tight, then work it back. Repeated til it was all the way down the threads and it goes on and off like butter now.

I take it that you didn't use the die?

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »

I did the same thing, with a little bit of lubricant. No issues, and I didn't need a die. Some threads are rougher than others though.
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams

Offline Rowe-75

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »

Correct, it would have been easier with the die but my threads weren't too far off. YMMV...
75b 9mm Para
2075 Rami .40
P06 .40
VZ2008 7.62x39

Offline Explorer

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »

Correct, it would have been easier with the die but my threads weren't too far off. YMMV...

Interesting, I'm going to give that a try.

Offline Rowe-75

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
I used a cleaning rod through the gas port holes to give some more leverage. Lube the threads too and you should be fine. It was pretty tight geting it on the first time but now its threaded perfectly. Which brake are you going with? I've only tried the crusader... Love it
75b 9mm Para
2075 Rami .40
P06 .40
VZ2008 7.62x39

Offline Explorer

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »
I used a cleaning rod through the gas port holes to give some more leverage. Lube the threads too and you should be fine. It was pretty tight geting it on the first time but now its threaded perfectly. Which brake are you going with? I've only tried the crusader... Love it

I wanted the crusader but they were out of stock so bought the NEA Heavy muzzle break.  It was the last one they had.  Hope it is somewhat comparable to the crusader. 

Great tip on using the cleaning rod.

Thanks for the information

Offline kpsmith

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 01:27:37 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread but I just purchased a CAI VZ2008 and the threads on mine are actually 14x1 LH.  It was manufactured in July 2011. 
So either they changed the threads or I got an odd ball.  Just letting people know to check the threads before buying a brake. 

The nice thing about 14x1 LH is any standard AK muzzle brake should fit.  Still had to work the threads to get it on though with some cutting oil and patience.   I went with a Tapco Intrafuse AK Slot Muzzle Brake as it was pretty inexpensive and close in design to the original brake which I planned on using.

Offline tubee1

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:10 AM »
Mine was also built 7/11 and has 14x1 LH threads too. The build/finish on it is really nice except I had to chamfer the underside of the rails slightly to improve feeding. The shell casings were scraping the rails. Shoots and feeds great now.

Offline Basurero

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I purchased a VZ2008 in June 2012. Muzzle is threaded like yours, 14x1 LH and oversized as well. Tried two AK flash hiders that just start to thread on, then get stuck. Haven't tried chasing the threads yet, but may as you guys have had good luck with it.

Otherwise my VZ2008 is very nicely made and shoots great!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »
Welcome Law of the Thirds!

Thanx for that info!  cncwarrior site appears to be gone

Need to get a Muzzle Brake on my Vz2008.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

anything