Author Topic: Value of Used CZ 83  (Read 8209 times)

Offline USAF Ret

Value of Used CZ 83
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »
Cleaning some boxes out and I came across the original purchase receipt, AE Form 190-6A (Firearms Retention Authorization), AE Form 190-6C-R (Notification Of Firearm(s) Purchase), Engineering Inspection slip from CZ, the test target from CZ, and the ATF From 6 (Application And Permit For Importation Of Fireams, Ammunition And Implements Of War), along with the original box and tool. Purchased the gun 31 March 1992 when stationed at Rhein Main AB, Germany. Still have both the original 13-round magazines that it came with.

Now I understand that while some firearms retain their value or go up, most will go down. What is the current going rate for a used CZ 83, and what is the current rate of a new one. Trying to get a book together that lists all my weapons with current values and replacement values. A) as an insurance tool and B) as a tool to help my wife in the selling of them if something happens to me.

The weapon is marked Mod. 83 Cal. 9 Browning Made In Czechoslovakia. All the paperwork that came with the gun is written in Czech. The gun is not marked US anywhere etc.

Thanks for any help here.

Edit: Found out new from CZ USA price would be $452.00 (Guess this would be the replacement value?).

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:48:18 PM by USAF Ret »
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
Re: Value of Used CZ 83
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
Surplus CZ 82s are going for about $250 online (depending on condition).  I assume that most surplus 82s were rode harder than your 83?
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline danwdooley

• Dooley's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
It's interesting that though this one is indeed marked as an 83 and the calibre is that of a typical 83, the trigger guard is that of an 82.  I wonder if the early 83's used the same trigger guard as the 82 or if an 82 trigger guard has been installed on this one.  Just curious. 

This one looks in great shape too and unlike the 82, it does not appear to be painted but looks, at least as best I can tell, blued.
Dan,

Yes, the CZ-82 is my favorite gun.  :-)

Offline USAF Ret

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »
The CZ 83's sold in Europe at the Rod & Gun Clubs at the time I bought this one all had the trigger as shown. Bought mine, then bought a second one for my father-in-law, both had the same guard. As to the finish yes it is blued not painted, pictures makes it look flatter than it really is.

Probably have less than 400 rounds through this gun. It's kept oiled and loaded. Every couple years it gets taken out and allowed to bark, then cleaned, oiled, loaded and put back in the wifes nightstand. The 44 Magnum, hangs from the head-board on my side.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:24:31 PM by USAF Ret »
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
I assume that the 83s were originally made with the rounded trigger guard, and that the combat-style trigger guard is a relatively recent refinement.  That's the case with the Beretta 84, and there are several holsters designed for the 84 that only fit the older rounded trigger guard.  There are some who see the rounded trigger guard as more aesthetically appealing than the current squared-off version.

Because your 83 hasn't been shot much and has been cared for, it should be worth more than a surplus 82 in very good condition.  Isn't there something like a used gun blue book that can give you a better idea of your 83's value?
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:02 AM »
What you will get from your insurance company is the value of a similar aged 83 + or - a few dollars. Your best bet is to take it to a gun store (not Cabelas/Gander Mountain etc) and get a written valuation, just like you would do with a piece of jewelry. On the other hand, if you are looking for replacement cost, CZ-USA just told you that.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.