Author Topic: CZ 85B shooting WWB  (Read 2165 times)

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
CZ 85B shooting WWB
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »
First real range day since surgery. The previous trip my Son-In-Law racked the slide and I just shot a few. Well, today I found a CZ 75 Compact for sale locally. I told my Son-In-Law and went with him to check it out. Well, it was what the user described and he bought it. So, we had to go to the range and shoot it, so I got out the CZ 85B and my last box of WWB and went to the range. His Compact ran just fine.

I shot the 100 rounds. WWB. I experienced 3 failures to eject. I know the problem. I was having trouble supporting the pistol with my weak hand that had the surgery and it was messing with my grip by not having the stock/grip properly in my shooting hand. Technically a limp wrist situation. Now the WWB might be a bit underpowered as well, compounding the problem. Tired, wrists sore, but got her done.

10 yards, 21 rounds (there were actually 101 in the box unless I loaded 9 sometime).

As you can see, I have got some recovering to do.

7 yards, 20 rounds. Too much finger on the trigger trying to get a comfortable grip. My hand is aching while I type this.  :angry:

Pleased to be out. Pleased I could hit the paper. Not happy with the result but realize it is all part of the process.

Well, that's another 101 down the old pipe.

Offline Spirit 1

Re: CZ 85B shooting WWB
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »
All things considered, looks pretty darned good to me! Glad to hear you're recovering, but please, follow doc's orders and don't tear up what they fixed up....

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:05:21 PM »
     That is some mighty-fine shooting :)
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:16:31 PM »
The next x-ray of my hand is next Wednesday. Well see if any of the screws are backing out! I hope it is healing right.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
Shoot off handed, or don't shoot, it's not worth it to screw up your hand. Actually, really good time to practice off hand weak hand shooting!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »
sir, is okay to call you sir (I'm used to that.
sir, +1 to armoredman's suggestion. 
Every match I've shot lately has had an emphasis on weak-hand shooting.  I'm getting better at it by practicing during the matches.  ::)

Offline Joe L

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:50:50 AM »
Have you got a Kadet 22 conversion for the 85B?  If so, shoot it with the hand that was worked on until full strength.  Also shoot it weak hand just to learn to shoot weak handed. 

I had two shoulder surgeries in the last 9 months, one on each shoulder, and I had one arm in a sling for 6 weeks each time.  Forced me to learn to shoot single hand, both weak and strong side, which was weak first time I shot it after coming out of the sling. 

Believe me, 6 weeks single hand or weak hand will teach you a lot about trigger control.  I got to where I could shoot 7" groups at 25 yards either hand, single hand, 3" both hands, strong or weak side.  Better than before either surgery.  Lots of 22, though, like 3000 rounds of 22 weak hand in 6 weeks plus another 1000 of 9. 

It felt good just to shoot even a 22 after the surgeries.  Really good. 

Glad you got to shoot, your accuracy and trigger control will come back, just takes time and money. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline CZMN

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
I would not be too upset with those groups! I had carpal tunnel surgery almost a year ago now on my strong hand. My wrist still acts up after a day at the range. I have had my 85 Combat nearly two weeks now and still have not had a chance to take it out.  >:( and by looking at the calendar its going to be awhile with weddings and grad parties cluttering everything up.

But take it easy on that hand and let time do it's thing...

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 08:29:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice all. It is good advice, and I appreciate the honest concern. I do need to learn weak hand shooting. I have a .22 Browning that's the 1911 style, that I use, it would be excellent to start weak hand training with that.

Offline djpegasus

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 09:16:44 PM »
some fine groups indeed, but I would agree with the "dont rush it" statements.
as for the 101 rds, have had 2 out of 12 with the extra rounds,(reloaded into plano style boxes so I know it wasnt a miscount) I say it's better then getting 99 lol

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
CZ 85B Range Day
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »
It has been nearly two months since I shot anything. So, I went to a pistol that was sure to please, the CZ 85B. I just wasn't in the mode for any weapon issues today.

She ran flawless. I was testing out 3 new Mec-Gar mags and they all locked back and worked perfect as well. I only shot 61 rounds which works out to be 3 16 round mags and 13 rounds I found of left over Magtech. The mags had UMC FMJ 115 grain in them. I had left them loaded over the past several weeks hoping the spring would give a bit. Haven't reloaded them yet to see if that is the case.

Everything (like always) is free standing, two handed grip (revolver style), modified weaver stance.

So, here are the results.

25 yards, 8 rounds, 14" group

25 yards, 8 rounds 10.75" group

7 yards, 5 rounds, 1.5" group

10 yards, 8 rounds 3.5" group

15 yards, 8 rounds 6.5' group

15 yards, 8 rounds, 3.75" group

10 yards, 8 rounds, 3.3" group

7 yards, 8 rounds, 2.5" group

I have shot worse for sure, but felt rusty.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
I don't know, but it looks pretty good to me there "lil Buddy"
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

anything