Author Topic: 85 combat with Cajun Gun works upgrades!!!  (Read 9362 times)

Offline aaronjhanson

• Aaron J Hanson Knives
85 combat with Cajun Gun works upgrades!!!
« on: May 27, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »
I am in no way affiliated with Cajun gun works or cz custom or cz for that matter, just giving my opinion here.
I recently bought a CZ 85 Combat. It was hard to find one in stock but I think it was worth the wait. I have a CZ 75 shadow target for about 6 months now. Being really impressed with the gun from the custom shop, I was itching to purchase another. I wanted one I could have modified the way I wanted, so I chose the 85 combat. After doing a little research, sending emails, reading this forum and talking to some people, I decided to send the 85 down to Cajun Gun Works and have David Milam do some work on it. We decided to do the hammer kit #3, the ultra lite kit, CGW tool steel trigger pin, reduced power trigger spring, 12# recoil spring and a SAO custom trigger with OT and pre travel adjustments from CZ custom shop. David did not have any pre B sears machined to be adjustable, so he machined fit mine and the clearance was ?perfect?. David is a really nice guy and easy to do business with. He told me a few times that he was impressed with the 85 combat I sent him. Said it was really tight from the factory, really put together well. I got lucky and got one that was fitted together better than normal.
 The turnaround was  fast.. On arrival, I checked out the 85 by dry firing and the trigger is ?NICE? really short reset.. so I promptly went to the range to fire some rounds through it. I shot 15 rounds, then loaded another mag, shot  and started to have some reset problems. The gun was not resetting the trigger after a round was fired and the slide cycled. Okay, time to put it away and give David a call. After talking to David, I decided to try to adjust the trigger myself, shortly after that David asked me to ship the gun back to him on his dime, and that it would take care of everything and get it back to me asap. So off it goes back to David. Turns out we needed to loctite the SAO adjustment screws and David installed the stock trigger return spring. He shipped it back to me and I took it back to the range, this time with no problems. I am very pleased with the work and customer service From David at Cajun Gun Works.
At the range.
I took my CZ 75 Shadow Target ( CZ Custom shop) and the Cajun Gun Works 85 Combat just so I can compare the two. I also took my brother along, who never shot either of these guns. We shot at 7 yards.
The 85 SAO trigger pull is nice, on par if not better than the CZ 75 Shadow in SA. I did not shoot the 85 before I sent it to Cajun Gun Works, however I did dry fire. Bone stock, I didn?t care for the gun. The Modifications has made it a real pleasure to shoot. The 85 combat is as accurate as my 75 shadow. I didn?t feel the need to take pictures of the targets; you can make 1 ragged hole at 7 yards with either of these guns. We shot my IDPA loads through them and factory ammo, going back and forth between the guns.  Just for grins, I also brought my STI Trojan .45 and threw that into the mix.
When it was all over, I have to say the Cajun Gun works modified 85 combat felt like and shot like the $1000+ guns.  The trigger was light, nice and clean braking, with a short reset. I am very happy with my decision to send it off to David. My brother preferred the 85 over the other two pistols, and he tried to buy it from me. He liked the way it shot how smoothed it was, he said the trigger action was right there, right where it should be, and he preferred the 3 dot sights. He will have to find an 85 combat to send to David because he is not getting mine.
With the IDPA state match in a few weeks, I haven?t given the 85 the attention it should get. I have been practicing with my 75 so much anything else feels weird in my hand. So I decided to purchase the cz custom shop mag well and thin aluminum grips? Wow, feel almost like my 75 now. I just need to do one more thing, change the factory 3 dot sights out to something similar to the sights on my 75. I plan on using the 85C for multi gun shoots along with IDPA ESP or uspsa?
CZ 75 shadow target
CZ 85 combat- modified SAO
CZ P01
CZP07

Offline Stuart

Re: 85 combat with Cajun Gun works upgrades!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:36:24 PM »
Nice report.

Sounds like you have some great CZsf

Offline schmeky

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »
Aaron,

Thanks for the update.  That 85 you have is one of the tightest CZ's I have encountered.  I told you I would love to have it myself, I understand your brother trying to talk you out of it. 

Thanks for your patience too. 

Offline aaronjhanson

• Aaron J Hanson Knives
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
Man, I have been shooting my CGW 85 combat more and more lately. all I have to say is wow..WOW!!! I put 200 rounds down range just yesterday. without any issues I might add. I let a friend shoot it, couldn't believe the trigger. If your not used to it that trigger, it can sneak up on you when your not ready... he agreed.
I can put my custom shop 75 shadow target side by side with the 85 combat, and shoot really well with both. Which is exactly what I wanted.
I currently have the IDPA mag well on it with the thin aluminum grips...
CZ 75 shadow target
CZ P01
CZP07

Offline seyyal

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Need pics please  8)

Offline aaronjhanson

• Aaron J Hanson Knives
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »

the one on the left is my 75 shadow target from the custom shop the one on the right is the 85 combat SAO...
CZ 75 shadow target
CZ P01
CZP07

Offline aaronjhanson

• Aaron J Hanson Knives
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
Shot my 85C in ESP at the local IDPA last weekend, had a terrible first stage where i forgot to shoot a target and had a hit on a good guy. other than that, the gun ran flawlessly. very smooth like butter... places second in the match.
CZ 75 shadow target
CZ P01
CZP07