Author Topic: ORF VZ58 build headspace striker problem  (Read 2931 times)

Offline tubee1

ORF VZ58 build headspace striker problem
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:16:52 PM »
I am building a VZ58 with an AWO/ORF receiver. I have pressed the barrel and it head-spaces go and no-go perfectly without the striker installed. When the striker is installed it binds/stops in the bolt  before reaching its full travel. If you force the bolt and carrier forward with the striker already all the way in the bolt it will go fully in to battery but again it is binding and you have to tap the bolt rearward to move it back. Any suggestions as to why the striker is binding?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Roadking Moose

Re: ORF VZ58 build headspace striker problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »
Did you set the headspace with the bolt and carrier?  Sounds like it not going completly into battery, not letting the striker go foward acts as a safety to keep from firing when not in battery.
Betting your headspace is just a tad short.

Offline ObiWanBonJovi

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
the striker rails, are either cut too high or too low in relation to the bore, figure out which, and then if you have a mill take the striker rail up or down some, if not open the guide notch in striker up or down.

Offline tubee1

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »
Did you set the headspace with the bolt and carrier?  Sounds like it not going completly into battery, not letting the striker go foward acts as a safety to keep from firing when not in battery.
Betting your headspace is just a tad short.
You are correct  it was not going completely into battery even though the headspace appears right. I did set the headspace with the bolt and carrier and go gauge installed. I rechecked today and the headspace was a little on the tight side even though the bolt carrier travels completely forward. There is some clearance between the carrier and the locking piece so when pressing the barrel the locking piece can move up slightly. The locking piece was lacking about .005" from sitting flush on top of the bolt. I slightly increased the headspace and now the locking piece drops down completely into the receiver lugs and it is GTG now. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Offline andrewhyatt89

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »
glad it wasn't the other problem

anything