Author Topic: AT-84S – new owner with pics and questions  (Read 1758 times)

Offline John E Davies

• John Davies Home Page
AT-84S – new owner with pics and questions
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
I found this 9 mm pistol in a local pawn shop – it came with the papers, but no owner’s manual, three mags, brush and allen wrench for the rear sight. Though they were selling them separately, I also bought the Action Express .41 barrel, .41 AE mag, and six boxes of ammo that the original owner traded in.

I had been looking for a decent High Power that I could afford, but all the examples I ran across were too spendy or looked as if they had been kicked across a parking lot. I really like the fit and finish of the old CZ75s, and this Swiss made clone showed very minimal use and it’s smooth and tight. It even had the original grease in the action, with lots of dust. I suspect the owner fired it a few times and parked it in his safe for a couple of decades. I now know why  >:(

I bought it to shoot a little, so after a good cleaning and lube, I took it to the range where I encountered ejection problems using S&B 115 gr FMJ. The extractor slips and I get a double feed jam every now and then. It happens much more often with a full mag. It’s not mag related since I tested all three. I tried some Hornady Critical Defense JHP and it did not hang, from the slicker plated case surface, I think.

The extractor is in fine shape and moves freely, but I plan to remove it and check for burrs. But what has me scratching my head is the marks on the brass and the chamber – there are definite spiral grooves in both, and I think as the gun gets dirty they are causing the brass to hang. The machine work on the gun is very nice, but the barrel leaves a lot to be desired:

This shot shows the grooves on both the chamber walls and the fired brass.

Has anyone seen these “rifling” marks in an old CZ chamber?

I hope to smooth the chamber roughness and reduce the grooves a little by lapping with a fired case and fine lapping compound. Good idea or not?

Can someone please summarize for me parts availability and what fits, what doesn’t? I have read a lot of conflicting info and just don’t know what to do. I would like to get extra main and extractor springs for tuning.

I plan to sell the AE41 stuff at a later date – should I wait until I get 25 posts and do it here, or just use Gunbroker?

Thanks for your help.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:38:14 PM by John E Davies »

Offline bang bang

Re: AT-84S – new owner with pics and questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
welcome,

congrats on your AT.

btw, that shops sucks royal.  they shouldnt separate what came with the gun from OEM.  i can see selling the afteramket barrels, but everything that came in the box from the mfg, should be sold that way.

to answer your q about the rifling on the brass, its new to me.

also, imo that finish on the barrel/chamber looks really rough.  mine doesnt look like that at all.

Offline John E Davies

• John Davies Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
btw, that shops sucks royal.  they shouldnt separate what came with the gun from OEM.  i can see selling the afteramket barrels, but everything that came in the box from the mfg, should be sold that way.

to answer your q about the rifling on the brass, its new to me.

also, imo that finish on the barrel/chamber looks really rough.  mine doesnt look like that at all.

I think the original sale didn't include the .41 AE barrel and mag, and that the owner bought them separately. The factory box cardboard sleeve has the 9mm label marked, but not the other one. I don't blame the shop in this case.

Yes, the chamber is strange. The marks are very shallow - I am attempting to polish most of them out - hopefully the dimensions will stay within limits. I'm no going crazy. I just want to minimize them as much as I can.

I don't know what to say about the quality on the barrel - it sure looks like a beginner did it and there was no QC afterwards. It's disappointing, and I don't have a clue why I didn't catch it in the shop. I was dazzled by the rest of the gun, I guess. Of course, it looks far worse in super closeup with a flash. With a bare eyeball it doesn't looks so rough.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:30:36 PM by John E Davies »

Offline TenToGo

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »
Before you sell the .41AE stuff, you might try it out.  I liked the round and the concept was a good one.  It turns a 9mm into an effective social pistol.  The one issue is getting ammo and components, but they are out there if you look around.  I always wanted to get a .41AE barrel for a Walther P-38 that I used to carry.

Offline John E Davies

• John Davies Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
Before you sell the .41AE stuff, you might try it out.   SNIP  The one issue is getting ammo and components, but they are out there if you look around.
Well, I don't seem to have a problem with ammo  :)  - I got 286 rounds of factory ammo with the AT-84S, and I already reload .40 S&W, so the only issue would be obtaining a proper taper crimp die if I wanted to reload the.41 AE.

But I don't need another .40 pistol since my XDm 40 works great as a daily carry gun, and I wouldn't want to carry this old gun since it doesn't have a firing pin block. I am hoping to get enough for the .41 AE stuff to pay for half the new pistol purchase.... if I can find a buyer. If I can't, I'll shelf it and see what happens in five or ten years. I can't imagine it doing anything but gain in value.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:22:09 AM by John E Davies »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:17:35 AM »
Welcome to the Forum and Congratulations on your new-to-you AT84S.  8)

With the exception of the Chamber and Feed Area of the Barrel, the Pistol appears to be in Excellent Condition.

I've NEVER seen a barrel that rough in those areas, and I've seen quite a few.

There are many ways to polish chambers, but the method you propose sounds like a good one.  I would also use a Felt Bob on a Dremel to clean up the Feed Ramp.  I would use a round Stone in a Dremel to lightly clean up the bevel at the Chamber Entry mouth. It should clean up well.

As for extractor tuning/repair, consult these threads:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=43493.0

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=30669.0
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Jessie James 58

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »
A very nice looking gun. Also if the 41AE rounds are factory "in the box" ammo it may be worth more than the gun. I have seen the 41AE rounds as high as $5.00 a round.

Offline FloridaCracker

AT-84S – new owner with pics and questions
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
That feed ramp looks like it was made by a visually impaired person :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. - Barack Obama, 2004
South Floridians, stops paying too much for guns and ammo: http://groupbuybulkammo.com

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »
The marks in the Chamber ?
Chances are, they are Hard Spots from when the Barrel was originally Rifled with a dull Cutter
I’m betting they align with the remaining Rifling inside the Barrel
When the Chamber was reamed and polished, they were uncovered
If so, they are there and may not improve with farther polishing
Very similar to Hot / Hard Spots on a Flywheel, Brake Disc or Drum
The Feed Ramp and Chamber Mouth can be worked and polished, but inside the Chamber may be as good as it gets
He's not a Slow President, and he's not a Fast President....He's a Half Fast President

Offline John E Davies

• John Davies Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
The marks in the Chamber ?
Chances are, they are Hard Spots from when the Barrel was originally Rifled with a dull Cutter
I’m betting they align with the remaining Rifling inside the Barrel
When the Chamber was reamed and polished, they were uncovered
If so, they are there and may not improve with farther polishing
Very similar to Hot / Hard Spots on a Flywheel, Brake Disc or Drum
The Feed Ramp and Chamber Mouth can be worked and polished, but inside the Chamber may be as good as it gets

Thanks - that is interesting. I did in fact clean up the ramp without much effort. I spent a long time on the chamber with both fine lapping compound and also very fine sandpaper and polish. I got perhaps half the marks out, but the finish is vastly improved. I was reluctant to continue further for fear of enlarging or egging the hole.

I also polished the extractor and slot, and found a small clot of hardened gunk under the claw. Maybe that was causing the slippage.

So maybe the gun will shoot right now.... I'll try several types of ammo and report back.

Thanks for the comments. BTW I am working on my Post Count - up to 4 now ;)

John Davies
Spokane WA

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
So maybe the gun will shoot right now.... I'll try several types of ammo and report back.
John Davies
Spokane WA

Still eagerly awaiting your follow-up report.  8)
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 BD POLICE
CZ 75 D Compact PCR
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »
A very nice looking gun. Also if the 41AE rounds are factory "in the box" ammo it may be worth more than the gun. I have seen the 41AE rounds as high as $5.00 a round.

Yeah.  There was a guy on the Castboolits forum looking for some recently.  If it was me, I'd ditch all the .41 AE stuff and get a barrel for a .40 or 9mm.  It really does seem like the factory rounds and brass are worth quite a bit!  You may already have a .40 in XD, but the .40 in a 75B frame gun is fantastic!

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=163743

Offline John E Davies

• John Davies Home Page
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
Well, I sold all the .41 AE ammo and made WAY more than I invested. I will keep the .41 AE barrel and mag with the box to increase the gun's future resale value.

I still haven't fired it after working on the 9mm chamber. I'll post results when I do.

Thanks for the comments.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA