Author Topic: muzzle brake on vz 58  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Striper Sniper

• Have fun, Be Prepared, Stay Safe.
muzzle brake on vz 58
« on: September 01, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
Brought my vz in to a local gunsmith for a brake job. He told me he could'nt thread and weld the barrel but could cut the weld, access the theads of the extension and permanently attach the brake to the barrel. I told him i thought this would make it illegal. He said that once the brake is permanently attached it would count towards the barrel. I know if he's wrong i could go to jail not him. I'm in CT. What do you guys think?

Offline Kaizer Dan

Re: muzzle brake on vz 58
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
he is correct, just think of it, the end cap that is on there right now is exactly what hes going to do with the brake. Its just put on using the existing threads on the brake and then tac welded in place so it cant come off. Hes just going to undo that extension and put the brake in its place. And its perfectly legal. So give it a go and enjoy how steady your gun will now shoot.

Offline andrewhyatt89

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
Kaizer Dan is on the money. Its just like what is done with the AMD-65s (and other shorter barreled aks) and 14.5inch ARs.

Offline Striper Sniper

• Have fun, Be Prepared, Stay Safe.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »
Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better. I do think i might be paying too much though. He charged me a hundred and ten bucks.

How bout this... would a muzzle brake be overkill on the vz 58 pistol (which i don't own yet)?

Offline Kaizer Dan

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:06:17 PM »
Hmm I not sure if that would be needed, I wouldnt think so. Id think a Flash suppressor would be more effective on that with all the unspent powder igniting at the end. But seeing as how its a pistol you could get both and change them out and use which one you like best. Dont need to weld them on the pistol that is.

Offline vblue42

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:00:42 AM »
Dont need to weld them on the pistol that is.

According to the info on the Czechpoint site the muzzle nut is permanently attached.
VZ58 Folder With Beaver Barf

'51 Polish M44 Mosin Carbine

'44 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin

'50-'52 Yugo M48 Mauser 8mm

H&R M1 Garand 30.06

New Frontier/KAK AR15 5.56mm

Smith & Wesson M&P9

From MS Gulf Coast.

Offline Kaizer Dan

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 05:09:05 AM »
They give you the threads pattern and say its spot welded on. Must be to make it california legal or something, I know ive seen pistols for sale with threaded barrels so I dont see what the issue would be depend on where one lives? I dont know, no expect here...

Offline Stevo

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »

How bout this... would a muzzle brake be overkill on the vz 58 pistol (which i don't own yet)?

A brake works very well on that length VZ. So does a stock, if you can SBR where you live.:)

Offline boblindeman

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:30:48 PM »
I have been testing this brake on my Vz, it performs very well, stays on target but still have little rearward movement.

http://www.dae.se/Compensator_SA_Vz58.html

You can use Google Translator if you need it in english.

I have ordered a Crusader from NEA that I will test also.

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »
     I put a Crusader brake on my VZ 2008, and it does a very good job at keeping the muzzle on target. It is also quite loud. If my threads were 14X1 LH (I hear the new VZ 2008 is), I would strongly recommend taking a look at the PWS FSC 47. I have the FSC 47 on my Yugo M70, and it does a great job while itself being lightweight and offering limited flash suppression. The Crusader brake is a bit heavy, and when combined with the EOTech (and the necessary mounting hardware for an older 512A65) in the picture, resulted in the natural balance of the VZ 2008 being thrown off. I intend to mount a Vortex Strikefire in the near future, as I want to try to co-witness.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:15:21 PM by Faeruss7 »
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams