Author Topic: Load data for 9MM 115gr FMJ w/ W231  (Read 5195 times)

Offline jhabers

Load data for 9MM 115gr FMJ w/ W231
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »
I am looking to load my first reloads and bought some W231 power and some 115gr FMJ bullets. I cant seem to find any load data for this combination. Anyone load this that can pass along some recipes?

I will be using these rounds in a P01

Thanks
Jonathan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:59:21 PM by jhabers »

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of Vit in the morning !
Re: Load data for 9MM 115gr FMJ w/ W231
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:21:37 PM »
You always want to go with reliable, published sources, so I'm going to point you to the Hodgdon reloading center. Hodgdon now handles all Winchester, Hodgdon, and IMR powders. Hodgdon Reloading Data Center 

That's a fairly extensive list, but they don't show 115 FMJ per-se.  You'll want to use the load they show for the 115gr Speer GDHP. The Gold Dot hollow point is a heavy plated bullet, but it loads like a FMJ. They just expect you to know that.

Another bit they expect you to know is that Hodgdon HP-38 is the exact same powder as Win 231. Sometimes they show one, but not the other. When you shop, you'll usually find that HP-38 is 1 or 2 bucks cheaper than 231. So when you're buying Winchester brand powder, you're paying extra for the name.

Obviously the GDHP is not going to shoot exactly like a FMJ, so begin at the starting load and work up in small increments.

;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:36:11 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
The LEE load manual gives: Win 231, 115gr FMJ.
4.3 grs - 4.8 grs @ 1.095" minimum oal
1010 fps-1120fps  @ 32.1 K PSI

You can always load "longer" than the published minimum oal.
I load 124/125 gr bullets, so I can't give a specific load.  If I were to load 115 FMJ, I'd probably start at 4.4 grs and an oal of 1.12/1.125".  This is NOT from a reliable/published load source. 

Someone who uses 115gr bullets will chime in soon, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:25:35 PM by 1SOW »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »
Wobbly, it's not listed on the Hogdon site , only JHP/Lrn.  I have no idea why.  WSF is listed with FMJ.

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
Wobbly, it's not listed on the Hogdon site , only JHP/Lrn.  I have no idea why.  WSF is listed with FMJ.
1SOW -
Thanks. Yea, I caught that too. Reply already modified.   ;)

Jonathan -
What bullet are you going to use? The OAL might shape up to be the biggest challenge for you, depending on your choice of bullets.

;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:41:03 PM by Wobbly »

Offline jhabers

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »
1SOW -
Thanks. Yea, I caught that too. Reply already modified.   ;)

Jonathan -
What bullet are you going to use? The OAL might shape up to be the biggest challenge for you, depending on your choice of bullets.

;)

Thanks for all the great info guys!

I have on order the Precision Delta 115gr FMJ
http://precisiondelta.com/product.php

Do CZ's have a short OAL? Is there a max OAL that the P01 will cycle?

Thanks
Jonathan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:44:55 PM by jhabers »

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:58:41 PM »
Jonathan -

I have used the PD 124gr RN out to 1.160" and loved them dearly. I highly suspect that the PD 115gr RN uses the same ogive curve, so OAL is not going to be an issue. The only reason I don't still use them is availability. The quality is really very high. You'll really like them.

Being a lighter bullet and not nearly as long as the 124gr, you'll want to load them shorter for the case support. Hodgdon gave you a minimum of 1.125". I'd highly suggest something like 1.130" for several reasons.

May I ask.... was this an internet order or a phoned-in order? Their web page didn't used to show stock volumes. If it's still that way, then you can wait up to 3 months for delivery. You may want to confirm their stock status with them by phone on Tuesday. If no 115gr, then get one of their 124gr.

;)

Offline jhabers

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »
Jonathan -

I have used the PD 124gr RN out to 1.160" and loved them dearly. I highly suspect that the PD 115gr RN uses the same ogive curve, so OAL is not going to be an issue. The only reason I don't still use them is availability. The quality is really very high. You'll really like them.

Being a lighter bullet and not nearly as long as the 124gr, you'll want to load them shorter for the case support. Hodgdon gave you a minimum of 1.125". I'd highly suggest something like 1.130" for several reasons.

May I ask.... was this an internet order or a phoned-in order? Their web page didn't used to show stock volumes. If it's still that way, then you can wait up to 3 months for delivery. You may want to confirm their stock status with them by phone on Tuesday. If no 115gr, then get one of their 124gr.

;)

Thats a good point. I placed the order on Thursday and I noticed my card hasnt been charged yet. i just figured that they had them in stock. I will call first thing on Tues and find out. If the dont have the 115 and have the 124's I will get those. Thats will mean doing research on the 124 load data...LOL

I just checked thoer site for the 115gr and the page says "Product is Currently In Stock". But who knows. I will definetly call on Tues. That remonds me that I placed the order on the 30th and my CC exipired on the 31st so I would need to give them a new card anyways since I havent been charged yet.

On a similar note I got my loading bench build today and my new lee breech press mounted and 100+ cases cleaned in my new hornady tumbler. So far I have resized and primed the cases. Just waiting on the bullets now. I dont shoot that much, hopefully can get some more time to get to the range (Have a 1 year old little girl), but I am having a blast learning this stuff and going through the stages. Its therapeutic:)

Thanks~!

Jonathan

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 11:19:16 PM »
Jonathan -
Since kids are highly affected by heavy metals....

1) Only run the tumbler outdoors. Transfer the media outdoors. Do all the media separation outdoors. You can store the tumbler indoors safely by just securing the lid, with or without media inside. Or you can put the tumbler in a garbage bag to bring it inside. You want to store all used media in a sealed container as long as it's indoors.

2) You want to make sure to wash your hands after every loading or tumbling session. Especially before playing with the kid. Kids that young are bad to put everything in their mouths, including your fingers.

;)

Offline jhabers

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 11:22:21 PM »
Wobbly, Thanks for that info. I didnt even think of that! I appreciate it :)

Jonathan

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 11:45:02 PM »
With the tumbler, the danger (if there is any) is going to be in the dust. Wind-borne and outdoors it's not an issue. Loose in a house where the central air/heat will spread the dust to every room is a possible danger. One you can very easily avoid.

Controlling the contaminants (if any) on your hands is best contained by simple hand washing. Soap and cold water. A lot of people wear latex gloves when reloading. I don't think you need to go that far for casual use, but if you already keep gloves in the house for other purposes, then it won't hurt.

There is no reason for alarm, but simple pro-active precautions can be 100% effective in total prevention. When you have young children, then you want to take those extra steps.

As far as total risk..... you are actually at more risk going to an ill-kept indoor firing range than anything you do in your home.

;)

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 02:39:59 AM »
Hodgdon gave you a minimum of 1.125". I'd highly suggest something like 1.130" for several reasons.

OAL will of course vary, depending upon the make/design of the FMJ Bullet.  I load Remington Surplus 115 grn FMJ's at 1.135", which is the same OAL that Remington loads them at.  Works in my Cz75 Pre-B and my Tanfoglio's, but you should test that OAL in YOUR Pistol, as your Pistols throat may be shorter.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

Offline noylj

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 01:02:05 AM »
What reloading manuals are you using? Do you have a loading manual? At the very least, if you don't have any manuals, go to the Hodgdon internet site and use their load data.
231/HP38 is almost universal in all loading manuals for almost all pistol cartridges.
Find at least two independent sources of information (say, Hodgdon and Hornady/Speer manuals) and start with the lowest starting load. 4.0gn is a good starting point. Remember, all referenced COLs in loading manuals are the minimum the data applies to. Try to load somewhere around 1.130" or longer if your barrel and bullet will permit it.
Also, ALWAYS check for bullet set-back by attempting to push the bullet into the case using the loading bench and thumb pressure.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 01:58:11 AM »
See reply #3 & #4

Offline noylj

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
Data for any jacketed 0.355-0.356" 115gn bullet can be used for any other 0.355-0.356" 115gn jacketed bullet. COL must change as bullet style changes. Whatever the COL, start at starting load and work up.
I know my CZ75s (not CZ75Bs) handle "long" rounds just fine, but I keep reading that CZs need short COL. You have to determine what your gun likes, not what others say. What others do is ONLY a guideline that may or may not get you in the ballpark.

anything