Author Topic: Load data for 9MM 115gr FMJ w/ W231  (Read 13349 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Load data for 9MM 115gr FMJ w/ W231
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
noylj, you are correct when talking about jacketted FMJ RN bullets.  They will normally load out as long as the mags will accept.
The issue is how much of the bullets straight sidewall is exposed above the case mouth. 
With many/most HP and FN bullets this becomes the problem with published load data and CZ 75's.  JHP conical nose bullets are some of the worst.  They have to be loaded pretty short to prevent that straight sidewall from hitting the rifling "before" the cartridge seats on the casemouth.  Check the plated Berry's 124gr HP and your CZ 75.
Even with FMJs , not ALL have the same ogive shape. 

Re using other same weight, but different bullet nose shapes for load data:  A new reloader will learn to adapt other bullet nose shapes after learning the basics of how to find and follow load data.  Published load and oal data is the safest way start out learning to reload.  Learn to drive with the VW before you try the Autobahn in a Corvette. ;)

Offline noylj

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 05:25:50 PM »
I shoot Montana Gold 124gn jacketed conical hollow points and have no problem loading rather long in my CZ75s (again, not CZ75B or newer--these all come from the late '80s, when importation was rare). I load about 1.160" and I know one who loads his CZ75B to 1.142 and he says that is not as long as he could load.
The point is to find out what your barrel and gun will take and what COL gives the best accuracy and feed reliability.
At the very least, determine what the max COL for each bullet and barrel before you limit your COL to a length that is shorter than optimum, just because the manual or someone else loaded to that length.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
At the very least, determine what the max COL for each bullet and barrel before you limit your COL to a length that is shorter than optimum, just because the manual or someone else loaded to that length.
I agree 100%, and the point I was trying to make.  Load data gives an "minimum" OAL that you may not be able to use.

My 9mm 75B hits the rifling firmly at 1.107-ish with the MG 124 124JHP I competed with for over a year.  The Zero 125 JHPs (traditional ogive)  hit just a few thousandths longer.  I run both at 1.100.

Newer/"post B" CZ 75 chambers are shorter amongst members here, on other forums  and three CZ users I shoot with.  My son also runs a Custom Shop 9mm Cz 75 SPO1 Shadow--same shorter chamber.  These chambers will normally accept FMJ/Plated RN bullets out to published data OALs or even longer.   The Berry's 124 HBRN TP would run at 1.2+" if the mags would hold them.    This is the basis for my statements on CZ OALs.

Offline jhabers

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »
Hi All, I just wanted to follow up. I received the 115gr FMJ from Precision Delta. Very fast shipping and a great product as far as I can tell so far. I would definitely recommend them. I ended up loading 10 of EA (4.5gr, 4.6gr, 4.7gr W231 @ 1.125" with Federal Match SPP and a mix of once fired brass). I am heading out on vacation tomorrow for a week but plan on trying these out at the range when I get back to see which performs best in my P-01. I will keep you posted.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 07:04:22 AM »
Jonathan -

Since you're going on vacation, maybe you could drop off all the ammo and bullets at one of our houses and we could have all that testing wrapped up by the time you get back. Save a lot of time you know.

O0
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

papaairbear

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
Jonathan -

Since you're going on vacation, maybe you could drop off all the ammo and bullets at one of our houses and we could have all that testing wrapped up by the time you get back. Save a lot of time you know.

O0
You live anywhere near Portland, OR?  I'd be happy to do this for you! ;)

Wobbly:  You posted a superb response to a poster requesting info on setting OAL.  You posted it on 10/15/10 and it was your 3rd reply.  You included a diagram with it that is completely illustrative but I can't seem to link it to this post.  Do you remember it?  I'll call it the "push test for oal."

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

anything