Author Topic: Canik 55 / Tristar C-100 mags  (Read 31130 times)

Offline cetmeguy

Canik 55 / Tristar C-100 mags
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:41:36 PM »
FYI- I ordered two EAA Witness Compact mags from Cdnn,and they do not work,will not lock.

Offline tekarra

Re: Canik 55 / Tristar C-100 mags
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »
The two mags that came with my Tristar were marked "Mec-Gar" and Mec-Gar is the OEM manufacturer for cZ magazinews.  When I did a side by side shooting session with the Canik and the cZ Compact, I swapped the magazines between the two pistols and both performes flawlessly.  I purchase Mec-Gars for all my cZs, compact and full size. 

Not having an EAA at the time, I cannot comment on magazine fit, however, I have read that there can be a problem swapping magazines between EAA and cZ,

Offline chimera8

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Tanfoglio small frame compacts hold one(?) less round so are too short to lock in, large frame compact mags are too fat and too short.
Canik compacts supposedly use CZ compact Mec-Gar mags.
I haven't  tried them.

Offline j32degrees

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
my mecgar 14 round cz 75 compact mags work fine in mine..

Offline wiseanhyzer

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »
I'm currently awaiting a TriStar C-100 to arrive at my LGS.  Pretty confused about which magazines would fit, compact witness/compact 75.  I did email TriStar today and they told me mags were available directly from them or Mec-Gar but didn't provide a price.  Said call for pricing and orders.

Pretty jacked to receive the pistol otherwise.

Offline tekarra

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
Hello wiseanhyzer and welcome to the forum.  I buy my Mec-Gars from CDNN when they have a sale.  You should have two mags with your pistol, so that will give you time to scout for mags.

Offline wiseanhyzer

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »
Thanks for the welcome tekarra. 

Yeah, 2 magazines will get me started. I'll probably order spares from TriStar just to b safe.  I do love CDNN though.  That's where I get most of my magazines otherwise.

Offline TRguy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:34:28 PM »

Offline Bret

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »
Canik compacts supposedly use CZ compact Mec-Gar mags.
This is not correct.  They are in fact slightly different.  See the picture below.

The cutout for the magazine catch is much bigger on the Canik magazine. The Canik measures 0.165" high while the Mec-Gar (and CZ factory too) measures 0.132" high.

I couldn't get the Mec-Gar CZ75 Compact magazines to work reliably in my Caniks.  They would pop down during firing.  Others have not had the same problem.  It looks to be hit or miss.  I'd personally buy the Canik marked magazines if I could find them.  Hopefully, the importer will start selling extras.

Offline CoalTrain73

• Texas Panhandle
Canik 55 / Tristar C-100 mags
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »
My experience was the same as Bret's. I have heard you can take a CZ mag and file the catch hole on the top to get them to work, but I have not tried it. The only CZ mags I have are full size, but looking at the hole, it looks like it would work.  I would only do that if they were used strictly for the Canik.

What I did was take 3 full size mags and get the SP-01/40P plastic extended base plates and put on the bottom.  They fill the gap perfectly.  One of the mags is a little tight but some light sanding should allow for a slightly bigger gap between the grip and mag base.  At $9 ea from CZ-USA, they aren't super cheap, but I am happy with them.
CZ40B,  CZ82,  + some other Babies

Offline tekarra

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
I surmise there must have been a change in the magazine wells at some point.  As I recall, Bret was one of the early posters of the Canik and I have only recently purchased mine, and the magazines seem significantly different.  Is anyone aware of changes to the pistol?

Offline tekarra

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 08:05:22 PM »
Was just looking on the Canik 55 website at the C100 pistol and noticed the following statement  under "Important Features".

"MEC GAR (Italian) branded magazines with high capacity of two columns."

This is interesting in light of Bret's and CoalTrain's observations and my experience.

Offline wiseanhyzer

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
I received my TriStar C-100 today.  The magazines are Mec-Gar with a blue follower.  They have the larger catch hole like in the picture above.  Flat metal base plate.  Witness holes for 13rds but they hold 14 easily.  On the side with the "Mec-Gar  Made in Italy" stamped they also have Canik 55 Compact 9mm stamped.  I contacted TriStar and they said magazines were available through them or Mec-Gar.

Hope this helps some.

Offline Bret

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
Was just looking on the Canik 55 website at the C100 pistol and noticed the following statement  under "Important Features".

"MEC GAR (Italian) branded magazines with high capacity of two columns."

This is interesting in light of Bret's and CoalTrain's observations and my experience.
I'm probably missing the obvious, but what's interesting about that?  The CZ75 and Canik magazines shown above are both Mec-Gars. 

Offline tekarra

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
I read replies #8 and #9 to mean that the Mec Gar and cZ Compact magazines did not work in the Canik, whereas I used my cZ Compact and aftermarket Mec Gar magazines in ny Canik with no problems.  Did I msread those replies?

anything