Author Topic: CZ 52 9mm barrel group buy?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline CLDX

CZ 52 9mm barrel group buy?
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »
Good Morning,

Has anybody ever thought about trying to get together pooling our resources, and trying to get somebody to manufacture a run of 9mm Cz 52 barrels for a group buy?

I sent a couple of emails out to Bar-Sto, and EFK Fire Dragon. Bar-Sto actually responded, but said it would have to be a 50 barrel order minimum, and as of yet I don't have specifics as to cost, manufacture time... etc. I don't wanna' jerk their chain too much because I can't afford to buy 50 barrels myself, and can't guarantee them that there are 50 people even interested (or enough people that would want them to absorb 50 barrels). Those are the only two barrel manufacturers I've queried, but if anybody knows somebody else would you rather try them out?

So back to my original question... is there any interest in trying? Is there a more trusted senior member of this forum that would be a better point man?

Looks like I fell in love with the CZ 52 about 10 years too late, all of the cool stuff is out of production.   :-[

Thanks for your time,

Chuck

Offline Cavalryman

Re: CZ 52 9mm barrel group buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I'd certainly be for one, maybe two.

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
I would buy one.  8)
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 BD POLICE
CZ 75 D Compact PCR
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline jim23460

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »
I would be good for 1 and maybe 3. Depends on price.
Cz-50 x2
Cz-52
Cz-70
Cz-75 Pre-b
Cz-82

Offline skucera

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:01:17 AM »
Depending on price, I'd buy one.

Scott

Offline CLDX

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
I think I'm starting to understand why these things have gone out of production... not a ton of interest it appears. Bummer. I guess this pipe dream stops today.

I wish I'd gotten the bug 10 years ago... or owned a machine shop.

My dream list would include:

The Stainless Steel firing pin that Florida Ammo Traders stopped making.
The 9mm replacement barrels the Federal stopped making.
The Novak sights that Novak stopped doing.

I will look on this as an opportunity to learn some smithing skills, and some gathering skills... a 9mm barrel is out there somewhere. I'm sure sights aren't mission impossible to cobble up a decent set. Harrington is still alive for a firing pin and such... although I'd rather the Stainless Steel. I found a few home nickel plating videos on YouTube that don't look too difficult, I think i may attempt to nickel plate the frame to match my duo-tone CZ 85 Combat. I also need to get reloading dies to roll my own, since desirable ammo is getting harder to find.

That should keep me busy for a long time to come, CZ 52 addiction is a curse, and I'm a silly human being.

Thanks to those who were interested, sorry it doesn't seem like it'll pan out.     :-[

Chuck
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:30:14 AM by CLDX »

Offline cwcoolcow

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Chuck
I feel your pain. There was a 9mm barrel that just sold on eBay for $199 earlier this week.
Chris

Offline cwcoolcow

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
Another 9mm Luger barrel on eBay. (I am in no way associated with this sale.) This one is $299 without cam, rollers or spring, which last weeks barrel included at $100 less. That's more than I paid for my gun. Looks like I'll be sticking with 7.62 x 25 for now.
Chris

Offline CLDX

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Bro... I just looked at it, and it looks sweet! Now I have to ask myself if it's $300 sweet? There is a thin line between love and insanity... not quite sure if I should cross it yet. I'm having trouble digesting the asking price (which you're right... is more than the whole gun is worth!), but I fear I might not get another chance... decisions, decisions! That's really the biggest issue... is it worth sinking that kinda' money into a gun when it doesn't help resale value, only personal satisfaction? I guess it still shoots Tok no matter what I decide, so I have my pistol either way.     :)

I'm not too concerned about the spring and rollers; I'd just end up replacing that stuff anyway, and I'd switch the cam when not using the Tok barrel. I'd buy the aftermarket hardened rollers, and the Wolf reduced recoil spring which I've heard works better with the 9mm's.

Thanks again for having my back,

Chuck

Offline niembo

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
Guys,
Lets not get carried away. Two things to keep in mind:

I picked up a CZ52 factory 9mm in June at a local gun show for $250 plus tax. It was cheaper than the 7.62's at the show. Deals are still around.

Second, the CZ52 is loveable because of roller locks and 7.62x25 ammo. It makes (at best) a mediocre 9mm with lots of better 9's out there. I suppose some day 9mm will be cheaper than surplus 7.62, justifying the desirability for a 9mm barrel, but 'til then, paying super high prices to make a unique hand gun just another 9..."cummmmawn man."

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »
I picked up a CZ52 factory 9mm in June at a local gun show for $250 plus tax. It was cheaper than the 7.62's at the show.

I have never seen a factory CZ 52 9mm before. I wish I could come across a deal like that.  :-\
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 BD POLICE
CZ 75 D Compact PCR
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline TimTheGrim

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
There is a significant amount of precision machining on a CZ-52 barrel as compared to a John M Browning type link or cam groove . The slot on the underside needs a woodruff cutter and the rollers are actually held captive by tiny ears left when an end mill doesn't fully break through the side of the flats. I have to imagine that it would be costly even in a lot of 50 to produce.
 With modern CNC machinery and a good programmer it could be produced to very close tolerances but the amount of metal removal from a 1.25 inch blank would take some time and eat up tooling. Producing it from a forging would be expensive too.

I am currently turning down a Green Mountain 1.25 diameter 9 mm blank to produce a single 9 mm Largo barrel for my 52. I have an Astra 400 and a couple Star Supers in that caliber and that round fits well in a 52 mag.. I have a well equipped machine shop at home and now that I no longer machine for a living I use my shop as a stress reliever . I'll post some pics as the project progresses.

That being said...if the Bar-Sto barrel came in at or under $200 for a 9mm Para I'd jump on board too. 7.62 is getting more costly every day and 9mm Para in my Yugoslav M57 is a great round for my wife who doesn't care for the muzzle blast of surplus Tok rounds. That 9mm Para barrel and a mag and barrel bushing only cost $ 149. But then the M57 from J&G only cost me $ 189 last Year and its like new. Hey it's good for the economy right ?

Thanks for doing the footwork.

Tim
CZ-52    SIG sights and Marschal grips
CZ-82s.  His & Hers

Offline cwcoolcow

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »
FYI  Another listing on EBay. Starts at $199, buy now at $285. (Again not me). Two up at the same time. Very interesting.
Chris

Offline CLDX

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
Just dropped a bid... I won't pay stupid money, but hopefully it stays low for me!

Thanks again for the heads up,

Chuck

Offline cwcoolcow

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
All right Chuck, way to go!!!  I'll be following your progress on the watch list. Hopefully no one else is interested and you can score that sucker. I just installed a new firing pin and solid hardened roll rollers from Gun Parts Warehouse on my 9mm barrel. Off to the range tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:31:18 AM by cwcoolcow »
Chris

anything