Author Topic: New 97 owner with recoil spring question  (Read 1534 times)

Offline watarski

New 97 owner with recoil spring question
« on: December 16, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
I finally got out yesterday to shoot my new 97, my first CZ.  I can't say enough good things about this pistol.  I've bought and sold many 45s over the last 2 years in search of the perfect (for me) gun. I'm very glad I found the 97. I have questions with regard to the recoil spring that I could not find via search feature. Will a Wolff 16lb spring reduce recoil? Don't have an issue with the recoil, just curious. I will be shooting reloads that are similar or a tad under commercial grade ammo power levels, along with carry ammo. Nothing really hot, and nothing loaded wimpy. Any help is appreciated.  Cheers!

Offline motom

Re: New 97 owner with recoil spring question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
It's been too long since I've shot mine with the factory spring to remember if the Wolff 16# reduced recoil much but it does make picking up brass much easier.  Handles everything I've tried including light and medium loads with 185 and 230 grain and hotter 185s. Brass is mostly at your feet with light loads. 

Offline Jack Straw

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »
Unless there is a compelling reason, with regard to function, to change the weight on the recoil spring just leave it alone.

I have 8K+ rounds on the original spring, that's way overdue and I should change it for a new stock spring but it's an example of the suitability of the O.E.M. springing.   I shoot 900 f.p.s. 200 gr. cast wadcutters for the most part but I've also used powder puff 185's and some scary barn-burner 230's with splendid function at all times.

Always remember that your mileage may vary no matter what advice people give you.

Offline dlk

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
I found that I had to replace my recoil spring and ejector spring at about the 2500 round point and now the gun shoots as well as it did when new. My particular 97 was manufactured in 2004 for what that is worth.
The pistol is wicked accurate I might add.

Offline trustmeimcertificated

• All's well that ends
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
I put Wolff's heaviest recoil spring in mine.  It noticeably reduced recoil and eliminated a few feeding problems I was having.  I'd say go for it.
CZ 97B
CZ P-01
D-Technik vz. 58
CZ 82
and a few other non Czech guns.

Offline dlk

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »
I went with the 18 # wolff recoil spring.