Author Topic: Blueing on CZ550 American  (Read 2605 times)

Offline bartrak

Blueing on CZ550 American
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
I recently purchased a new CZ 550 American  243 cal. and when I wipe the barrel down with a clean oily rag I get a lot of brown-rust looking on my oil cloth. When you look at it in good light you can see what looks like rust under the blueing. Has anybody else had this problem ?

Offline bartrak

Re: Blueing on CZ550 American
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
I sent CZ a note about this about a week ago and no response yet, I guess they are too busy.

Offline mauserand9mm

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »
I have a couple of CZ550s myself and the bluing is brownish if you get it in the right light. I recall someone asking the same question many years ago in one of the gun mags that I read - I don't remember the answer but recall it wasn't something to be worried about. It may still be remnants of the bluing process (which does involves rusting as part of the process) and I believe it will get better in due course with normal care practices (oil after use etc).

Both my CZs have a bluing "bald spot" on the barrel 6inches back from the muzzle and at about 11 o'clock - the bluing is very thin here in a small round patch. It's not caused from sitting against anything in the safe (they are both stored in completely different arrangements) and not from any shooting positions or gun bag "trauma" on the way to/from the range. I suspect it was from handling or support during their bluing process at the factory. I'm not too fussed, and will probably cold blue if I can't stand it any longer.

I've also heard of a white powdery looking substance leaking out from under the front sight band of the older 22 bolt actions (may even have been in the Brno days) - think that had something to do with trapped soldering flux that would eventually seep out over time. Wasn't a real isue either - just wipe away.

Offline bartrak

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:53 AM »
Looks like it comes with the rifle, I like the rifle very much but don't like the blueing job and don't like the fact CZ has not responded to my email.

Offline painter

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:31 AM »
Call CZ. Get the name and email of the person you speak with.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline bartrak

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »
Called CZ and discussed problem. Gun sent back to CZ great customer service so far.

Offline rambilt

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
bartrak,

I have the same problem with my new CZ 527.  I got it home wiped it with a clean lightly oiled white cloth and out comes a brown-rust color on the cloth.  I called CZ and talk to one of the rep but he seemed to be clueless of what I was talking about.  He told me to send it in but I'm kind of hesitant.  Have you gotten yours back?  Thanks!

Offline bartrak

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:06 AM »
Gun still at CZ, the Christmas holiday will slow things a bit.

Offline Cpti

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »
Any updates?

Offline bartrak

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »
Sent email today, reply was they haven't looked at it yet, will be a few weeks.

Offline Cpti

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:24:45 PM »
I ask because mine is about the same.  The barrel is definitely brownish in most lighting and I also have brown residue on a lightly oiled rag after I wiped it down (first time).  I really like it and I know that bluing can be in a wide range of colors; I just want to make sure this thing isn't defective or going to be a rust magnet.

Offline bartrak

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »
I will post again when I hear form CZ again.

Offline bartrak

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 04:04:57 AM »
I got my 550 back from CZ and the remarks concerning the blueing was as follows.
"It is not rust or bad bluing, it is the chemicals that the metal was soaked in after there bluing process." Will see as time go on if this is true or not.

Offline Cpti

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »
Good to know. My barrel still looks brown, but an oiled rag comes up clean when I wipe it. I think that's just the color mine will be.  Either way, refinishing isnt all that expensive and I have been thinking of hard chroming it anyway.