I had one done this past July.
I went with a stainless Bartlein barrel because the smith I used had one in stock. He had bought it for a customer's project but then the project was cancelled and he was stuck with it. Twist is 1:8.5, which works for me. I had him Cerakote the barrel and the rest of the rifle to match. It was slightly more expensive than I planned, but I'm happy with the result.
My intent for this project was similar to yours; to have a handy, walk-around deer rifle. It turned into more of a target gun, but it's still fairly light and handy and I did use it for deer hunting this year. Got a nice buck with it on the last day.
Mine is cut down to 18". It was a medium heavy barrel. I wanted it threaded for a suppressor, which I should have within a few weeks. I wanted it as light as possible while still providing a good shoulder for the suppressor to index against. So basically I asked the smith to give me 18" as far forward on the barrel as he could while still providing enough diameter for the shoulder.
I'm using a stock from a 527 Varmint Kevlar; still trying to sell the original walnut stock from the Carbine.
Here are some pics:
I'm using a flash suppressor on it just as a thread protector.