Author Topic: A VZ build  (Read 4109 times)

Offline bellofello

A VZ build
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:20:06 PM »
Hey everyone. New to VZ's and the forum. I've hit the range a few times with it so far, loving every minute of it.

My rifle is an 18" barreled, wood composite fixed stock version.

I want to change it up a bit. I'm planning on a somewhat light weight, simple approach. Improve a few ergo's. Nothing ground breaking.

So far I have ordered:
-nea upper/lower handguard
-vortex sparc
-nea 4" rail segment
-magpul afg, mmm Kool-aid

On the watch list:
-Bolt release
-mag release
-light weight brake of some sort
-stock, still very undecided
-everything coated, armacoat, dura coat, somethin. Haven't looked in to my options yet.
-QD light set up of some sort
-a way to make an ergo pistol grip work some how.

I would like to pick some brains on a few things. I'm in need of some schooling...
- muzzle brakes. Looking for a light weight, effective, flash suppressing brake. Opinions on the nea hybrid brake? Modifying a battlecomp to fit?

-stock. What's the lightest alternative to the factory wood one? I'm debating between angled and straight. Also on the fence between buffer tube type or a fixed ACE unit. I want to retain a good sight picture with my incoming, co-witness sparc set up.

-lastly, the grip. I've always been a fan of the ergo ar grips. Also, how much modification does it take to fit an AK grip ?

Sorry for the question barrage, I'm not finished my endless googling and such.

Any input is appreciated,
Cheers!
-Dan

Offline fortyfive4life

Re: A VZ build
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:44 AM »
FAB defense makes an ergo type grip.  The Chip board furniture is actually really light, although I think the ACE might be your lightest option.

Offline bellofello

A VZ build
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »
I'm not really a fan of the fab grip, if that's the only option, I'll take it. I think I might try to make the ace ak-->ar adapter work with an ergo first.

Yea, the chip board stuff is very weight efficient, I just hate the feel of it.

Offline bellofello

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:16 AM »
Can someone share a good way to determine length of pull needed.

I was going to measure off the factory stock, but I'm not sure how much a straight stock set up is going to effect that...
Thanks.

Offline JAPartridge

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »
BelloFello

Almost any AK grip can be modified to work on the vz.58.  I myself have a Hogue AK grip that I modified to fit the vz.58.  It doesn't take much, just remove enough material to fit inside the "grip cup" and enough for the safety to travel freely.
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline jdubya87

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
where are you finding the nea stuff in stock? also, anyone know what the thread pitch is on the vz's from czechpoint? anyone tried modding ar pistol grips some kind of way?

Offline bellofello

A VZ build
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
BelloFello

Almost any AK grip can be modified to work on the vz.58.  I myself have a Hogue AK grip that I modified to fit the vz.58.  It doesn't take much, just remove enough material to fit inside the "grip cup" and enough for the safety to travel freely.

Good to know. I did come across a few threads saying the same thing last night.

I've got an AK/AR adapter and an AR ergo grip on order. If I don't like that, I'll probably end up going the same route as you did.

Thanks.

Offline bellofello

A VZ build
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »
where are you finding the nea stuff in stock? also, anyone know what the thread pitch is on the vz's from czechpoint? anyone tried modding ar pistol grips some kind of way?

It's pretty scarce. SFRC the ammo source in Ontario Canada has a few parts in stock. I'm not sure if they ship to the US.

Muzzle thread pitch? 14x1 RH thread.

I'll take a look at how much it would take once my AR ergo grip comes in. I'll let you know, and snap a few pics.

Offline jdubya87

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »
BelloFello

Good to know. I did come across a few threads saying the same thing last night.

I've got an AK/AR adapter and an AR ergo grip on order. If I don't like that, I'll probably end up going the same route as you did.

Thanks.

Yep, my plan is the adapter and a moe plus grip or tangodown grip, if not, just a us palm grip.

Offline jdubya87

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

It's pretty scarce. SFRC the ammo source in Ontario Canada has a few parts in stock. I'm not sure if they ship to the US.

Muzzle thread pitch? 14x1 RH thread.

I'll take a look at how much it would take once my AR ergo grip comes in. I'll let you know, and snap a few pics.

Thanks, please do. I'm looking at a lot of interesting parts from a site in the Czech Republic...he says he can ship something, so long as its not a barrel, receiver, or ammunition. Debating whether to take the plunge on that.

Offline bellofello

A VZ build
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »
What site is that?

I'm hoping to have my grip next week at some point. The NEA stuff and my vortex are supposed to be delivered Monday.

Does anyone know if the Phoenix flash suppressor has any compensating effect?

Also any video or feedback on the hybrid brake? They are sold out everywhere, so someone must have some opinions on it!

Cheers

Offline knoxy

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »
where are you finding the nea stuff in stock?

There's an NEA upper rail in the classifieds right now.

Offline jdubya87

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
Here's the Czech website that said they could ship to US...

http://www.vz58rifle.com/

Offline brbm2

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
Hi, yeah, there's a price hike from CZK to EUR. It's just a warning about the increased margin when fliping to english. I have ordered twice from them as an individual. The wait was too long for my taste, but I got everything in the end.

However, they annoyed me when I contacted them twice as a professional... They didn't care to answer. I think even three times.

Specifically about the vz, I am trying to get some vz barrels chambered in .220 russian and .222 remington (i found a source for that one already), as well as unchambered barrels.

Offline RevolverOcelot

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 10:45:14 PM »
A guy in Michigan makes US made VZ 58 pistol grips.  He has two models, one that is a longer version of the normal VZ Grip, and one that is a Galil type grip modded for the VZ.  I have an OD green Long grip on my VZ.

http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Czech-VZ58-Grips_c4.htm

CZ Long grip

CZ Galil type grip

Ronin CZ Long Grip on my '58

anything